General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Poor Mileage in my Jazz

Old 10-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Poor Mileage in my Jazz

I bought the Jazz thinking it would be getting at least 12k/l but the absolute best I can get is about 10k/l I have a friend who is getting 12k/l in his Hyundai Matrix CRDI (big boat of a car). I just think for a 1.3L that even in the city with the A/C on I should be doing much better! I'm at about 2,000k on the clock and if anything my mileage is going down. I cannot even get 400k to a tank of gas. That is depressing. I'm not going up steep hills or even going very fast. No highways although I can at times get it up to 80 kph late at night. Mostly it's just traffic light to heavy. I bought he car to get increased mileage but that isn't happening. I used to own Geo Metros/Suzuki Swifts, not built as well but the gas needle barely moved when you drove them.
Has anyone else had experience with low mileage with their Jazz/Fit like I have?
I think next week I will take it into the dealer to have it looked at. It's rated at 600+k per tank and I'm doing a little better than half that! According to the dealer many are getting 15-15k/l here in this city. I really like the car but don't like the mileage that I'm getting.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Thumbs up

My CRV in the States was the same way at first - after break-in and a harsh speaking to by a dealer about my right foot habits my gas mileage is within 1+/- mpg of the factory rating.
I pretend now that there's an egg between my right sole and the gas peddle - i.e. NO abrupt hard pushing down at ANY time. It helped!

Old 10-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Yes well i actually do drive quite reasonably, it's not easy heer to really pound the pedal at all since you are driving in a giant parking lot most of the time. I should take a video of what traffic is like here and post it but it's not speed it's sheer recklessness. I keep my foot out of it most of the time but 10k/l is really bad for this car and they claim no break in period. But if it doesn't improve I might sell it and trade up to a different car that does get good economy. I like the Jazz but for city driving the Hyundai gets superior mileage with the diesel engine even with it's rubber band like power.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Unhappy

Well if you're spending alott of time just idling that too can eat into gas mileage...

Old 10-28-2005, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
steve,

there are rare times that some cars have to be driven more than 5000kms for the piston rings to correctly seat in...to be sure dont race your ride yet after the 1000km dealer check.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:25 PM
My wife's car (crappy cavalier 2.2L) Get's 12.8km/L (31.1mpg) it's a 5 speed. I Keep very accurate records. I have a 4 year old spreadsheet with every fill. The car has 205,000 km on it now. Been tracking the gas mileage for the last 75,000km. 80% of that driving is city.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by SteveCebu
I bought the Jazz thinking it would be getting at least 12k/l but the absolute best I can get is about 10k/l I have a friend who is getting 12k/l in his Hyundai Matrix CRDI (big boat of a car). I just think for a 1.3L that even in the city with the A/C on I should be doing much better! I'm at about 2,000k on the clock and if anything my mileage is going down. I cannot even get 400k to a tank of gas. That is depressing. I'm not going up steep hills or even going very fast. No highways although I can at times get it up to 80 kph late at night. Mostly it's just traffic light to heavy. I bought he car to get increased mileage but that isn't happening. I used to own Geo Metros/Suzuki Swifts, not built as well but the gas needle barely moved when you drove them.
Has anyone else had experience with low mileage with their Jazz/Fit like I have?
I think next week I will take it into the dealer to have it looked at. It's rated at 600+k per tank and I'm doing a little better than half that! According to the dealer many are getting 15-15k/l here in this city. I really like the car but don't like the mileage that I'm getting.
I change the wheels on mine to bigger ones and the economy change from 12 to 11.5

Old 11-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Go for the easy stuff first. Check your tire pressures, make sure they're up to spec. Fill up at a different gas station, your favorite one might have too much water in the gas or just bad gas. Maybe, adjust driving habits... try to be smooth.

And other easy thing to check, make sure there isn't any obstructions in the intake. I have heard and seen odd stories of various critters building nest or getting stuck in the intake of cars (if you parked it for a long time). Fond memories from living in the American Midwest.

And yes, idling does cut into gas mileage if you're stuck in traffic. But it takes a lot to do that. Say, like during weekday rush hour when school is in session in Bangkok, Thailand. Where you can finish a couple chapters reading a book in that town! But when it gets that bad... I just shut off the car if the weather isn't too hot.