General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit vs. Yaris

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Arrow Fit vs. Yaris

Toyota just released expanded specs for the '07 US market Yaris at the SEMA show.

The Fit and Yaris are going to be the key direct competitors in the subcompact market next year... it's going to be a very interesting time for the market segment any way you look at it.

Let's discuss...

Which manufacturer executes their product better overall?

Which vehicle will be the better performer? Some say that one of these will become the new SCCA autocross "ringer" vehicle of choice. That's been the Mini in recent years. I will be VERY interested to see which of the two has greater handling limits in stock form.

Which vehicle will have better real-world gas mileage?

Which vehicle will have more real-world (usable!) cargo space?

Which vehicle looks better?

What do you think?

Old 11-06-2005, 04:23 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Power Yaris 1.3L 63KW vs 1.3L Fit 61KW
Yaris 1.5L 80KW vs 1.5L Fit 81KW
Very similar weights just over 1,000kg
Shouldn't be alot it in performance wise.

Yaris has old fashioned 4 speed auto as opposed to Fit CVT. 4 speed results in worse fuel economy and performance auto vs auto.

Fit has magic seats which allow for tall as well as long loads while Yaris has fold flat rear seats but no tall load support.

Yaris has MP3 compatible stereo while Fit stereo has trouble even with CDRs.

Yaris exterior hasn't grown on me yet so still prefer the look of the Fit. Everything is clustered in the middle of the dash on the Yaris. The interior of the Fit looks more upmarket.

Fit was launched in 2001 in Japan and this Yaris is 2005. Understandably the Yaris should look more modern but it should best the Fit in every department yet it just matches it in most.

If you want an auto the Fit wins hands down but if after a manual then there isn't much in it between the Fit and the Yaris in most areas. The Yaris can however be spec'd with a heap more airbags (important i guess for those that don't wear seat belts).

Old 11-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by vividjazz
Power Yaris 1.3L 63KW vs 1.3L Fit 61KW
Yaris 1.5L 80KW vs 1.5L Fit 81KW
Very similar weights just over 1,000kg
Shouldn't be alot it in performance wise.

Yaris has old fashioned 4 speed auto as opposed to Fit CVT. 4 speed results in worse fuel economy and performance auto vs auto.
The US model Yaris is spec'ed standard with a 5 speed manual and 1.5L engine. Power is very similar, as you said.

My curiosity lies primarily in the handling department... has anyone compared these two vehicles dynamically, in terms of a road test?

Old 11-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Too be honest since its head to head battle between Honda FITs and Toyota VITz. I should say that it come down toward the $$$ and off course the appearances.

As far as I can see the car Honda FITs come with 100% better appearances and interior. Further more like usual Honda have more 3rd party manufacturer who build a modification. So this is why Honda FITs is the pure winner in this category.

As for $$$ still uncertain until they come out in the market.

So hard to say which company will win the war...

Old 11-06-2005, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
I think if Honda can successfully sell the FIT with the CVT-7 automatic, expect Toyota to offer a similar transmission as soon as the second year of production for the USA market.

Old 11-06-2005, 12:18 PM
The US Spec Honda Fit will come standard with SRS Dual Stage Front airbags, Side Airbags and Full curtian airbags standard on all models and as far as the Yaris is concerned they are costly upgrades even if they are different in price by about five hundred dollars or so you will still have to add them to the Yaris for a true apples to apples comparison. Plus I heard that Honda will have an accessory for direct ipod support through the stock stereo head unit like the accessory that will be released for the civic in december and gives better playback and search functions than the current auxilery audio input jack. Plus as far as I can see the current aftermarket already has enough work done on swaps for the current edition K20z3 engine swaps that will result in a substantial power to weight ratio gain above and beyond horsepower specs present in the stock fit and I havent heard of anyone even contemplating putting the Toyota swaps through any sort of testing as of yet. My vote is still on the US Fit to dominate.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Honda has the right attitude in the US - Safety is NOT an OPTION.

Toyota still have the get the suckers in with a low price and then everything is an extra. Toyota also have a habit of bundling unwanted options with safety features for profit. ie. Oh if you want extra airbags you have to buy a sunroof as it comes as a package only. To profit from essential safety features is morally reprehensible and by purchasing Toyotas products you are validating this disgraceful mentality.

As for Toyota offering a CVT on the Yaris. How many years did Honda have VTEC before Toyota offered VVTi? I'm sure the Prius CVT could be incorporated in the Yaris but Toyota will make sure its a damn expensive option.

Until Toyota start making safety standard the Yaris is not an option.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:09 AM
This is not a derect comparison. The US will not get the 5 door Yaris. Only 3 door and a sedan. As far as Yaris safety is concerned...
NCAP
The FIT is starting to show its age.

Old 11-07-2005, 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by tjts1
This is not a derect comparison. The US will not get the 5 door Yaris. Only 3 door and a sedan. As far as Yaris safety is concerned...
NCAP
The FIT is starting to show its age.
The only area in which the Yaris does better than the Fit in crash tests is with respect to the additional airbags. This results in the extra star and much better side impact protection.

These are not standard on the Yaris. Conclusion - despite a 4 year newer design the Yaris without optional extra safety equipment (ie. extra airbags) is no safer than standard Fit.

For the size of vehicle these cars are both amongst the safest in the world today. 4 and 5 star ratings are great for such small vehicles. Even better is the fact they take into account pedestrian as well as occupant safety.

I've posted detailed crash test results for the Fit in the "Is the Fit a safe car?" topic. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/3137-fit-jazz-safe-car.html

Old 11-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by vividjazz
Toyota still have the get the suckers in with a low price and then everything is an extra.
I hear ya there! They also make you get options ya don't want... At one point I was concidering buying a small pickup truck, and I hear lots of good things about toyota pickups. I wanted a totally striped down base model no frills needed. But all they offered were 4WD versions at the time, I'd have to drive about 250miles to a dealer in a diffrent regon away to get a 2wd version. (they do offer 2wd now I noticed, but even on the base model they force you to get aircon, that is only needed 2 maybe 3months out of the year. and makes a $13K truck become $15K)

Same goes for every other car they sell, they say X model has such and such options, but when I look up info for my area alot of times I can't get said options, or you have to buy a loaded up model to get 'em. Yet the model I might want *is* offered, just not im my area Turned me off to buying a Toyota, that's for sure. (well that and the silly center dash thing they seem to like *BLECH*)

Old 11-07-2005, 01:53 PM
i'll get the fit cuz the mugen part LOL

Old 11-14-2005, 04:53 AM
Jazz consistently beat the Yaris in the UK top gear surveys including 2005.