Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Yaris vs. Fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Yaris vs. Fit

With the usual criticisms about the interior as compared to the Fit:

REVIEW: Toyota Yaris Hatchback (Liftback)

Old 02-17-2007, 02:13 PM
they called the fit a minivan? i say 1 them. :D lol

Old 02-17-2007, 03:42 PM
i almost bought Yaris. (wish it had 4 doors) ....

Good looking fit FTW...

Old 02-17-2007, 06:34 PM
when i was researching cars i looked at the honda fit vs the yaris. i was looking for hatchbacks and i saw a yaris in rl, the doors are hella huge for a car that small so it didnt make any sense to me. so i ended up with the fit :P

Old 02-18-2007, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
Count me as one of the people who was shocked by how cheap the interior of the Yaris was. It's like they got the plastic parts out of a model kit of something. I thought the Hyundai Accent hatchback was a much nicer car than the Yaris in both quality and styling. If I needed a new car right now, I would have bought one instead of ording a Fit and having to wait until April.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bestfit
i almost bought Yaris. (wish it had 4 doors) ....

Good looking fit FTW...
Canada got the first generation Yaris 5 door (Echo) and second generation 5 door car, but not here in the States. So after years of Toyota ownership, I bought the Fit.

The bulk of my Fit complaints tho are Honda Vs. Toyota complaints (headlights not tied to ignition switch, tepid A/C, and those cheesy vertical door locks) and I am happy with the Fit.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Looks good....:p

Old 02-19-2007, 09:37 AM
they have 4 doors hatchback in Canada

Old 02-21-2007, 08:02 AM
acc
There is no comparison for the two in terms of value.

Honda Fit all the way!

safety - standard curtain airbags
chassis - racing pedigree, can beat a Corvette Z06 in a slalom test
motor - - useful in a small car, gain efficient use of it's small motor
interior - versitile and unique, no cheap plastics look
exterior - well that's a matter of personal opinion, either car is fine, this is a econobox segment.

since this car has been out longer (jazz) all the bugs should have been worked out. this is actually the only car considered when purchasing. I have no bias's towards any brand since I own both a Toyota and a Honda.

If you want the lowest price and you're willing to give up on safety, chassis, motor, interior, but still have excellent reliability then I would purchase a Yaris. Just my honest opinion.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
My biggest gripe with the Yaris is the exterior styling. The front looks nice but it looks like a different designer styled the rear end... At least in the HB version... The Fit styling is cohesive and looks right from any angle... That and the versatility of the Fit interior blew me away....

Old 02-22-2007, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
The Fit advantage

I am a professional car guy (Technical trainer) for many years. Have owned both Toyota and Honda's and like them both. But when it came time to get a "small" car I just couldn't buy into the Yaris. It just didn't seem right. I have spent my life around cars and have developed a good sense of what I want and what I MUST have.

The wife likes Hondas, I can go either way. The Fit won hands down over the Yaris for us. The interior space was the deal maker for the wife. Lots more room, especially with the "Magic Seat". We needed a car that was practical to use, but at the same time I had to have a car that drives right. Its got to handle like a sports car, be tight, stop well, etc. The Fit does that in spades.

Everyone wants more power, but for running around town and drives in the country the Fit has plenty to do the job. We don't race it. The interior doesn't look like "Made in China", the trans shifts great, the car just fits us.

Your tastes may vary. All I want is a center armrest!

Old 02-22-2007, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
The Yaris is just a joke. Even if you want a Toyota, the Corolla and XA are both superior cars for the money.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by watermelonman
The Yaris is just a joke. Even if you want a Toyota, the Corolla and XA are both superior cars for the money.
The xB is even further superior to the xA....

About the only thing the Yaris has the Fit beat in is base price. But look at what you have to give up to get that. Styling is subjective, but in terms of value, performance (with exception to estimated gas mileage, of course), handling, and versatility, the Fit poos all over the Yaris.

I think the Versa would be a better comparison.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
We test drove the Yaris sedan, and it just felt cheap inside. My wife HATED the steering wheel, and she absolutely loves the leather wheel on our Fit. The Yaris felt very claustrophobic, and I usually don't feel cramped in a car. We disliked how the rear roof raked down so hard for the back passengers, and the rear window has a VERY small opening considering the angle.

It was a fun little car that didn't really hit the mark for us. Even comparing it to the base Fit we test drove, the Fit won for us hands-down. That, and I love hatchbacks :)

Old 02-24-2007, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
I test drove the Yaris.

I wanted side curtain air bags (optional) but the salesperson told me he has never seen any Yaris arrive from the factory with that option... ever.

They suggested a camry if I wanted side curtain air bags.

The storage capability of the Fit is far superior to any small car similar in size. Plus I think the Fit is much more fun to drive.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MINI-Fit
I test drove the Yaris.

I wanted side curtain air bags (optional) but the salesperson told me he has never seen any Yaris arrive from the factory with that option... ever.

They suggested a camry if I wanted side curtain air bags.

The storage capability of the Fit is far superior to any small car similar in size. Plus I think the Fit is much more fun to drive.
Toyota's policy on airbags really bothers me. First of all, if you want to make a car safe, make it safe for everyone, not just those who pay more. Second, it leads to situations exactly like this, where you simply cannot get the car or options you want along with the safety feature that you should have.

Bogus.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by watermelonman
Toyota's policy on airbags really bothers me. First of all, if you want to make a car safe, make it safe for everyone, not just those who pay more. Second, it leads to situations exactly like this, where you simply cannot get the car or options you want along with the safety feature that you should have.

Bogus.
Exactly. That's why when I heard that (and I have no reason to doubt my salesman) I knew that Toyota is "not serious" about safety for the Yaris.

Having the option of side curtain airbags makes the Yaris look viable and up to date but it really is subpar compared to the competition not to deliver the car with that option even if desired.

In my opinion I think that side curtain airbags should be mandatory and not optional even if it means a little higher prices. Come on, it's 2007 and we can't make cars safer?????:( :mad:

Old 03-16-2007, 12:08 PM
both cars are great, it is a shame that toyota does not offer the 5 door hatch in the u.s., so from some perspectives, it is hard to compare these cars. (there is a review posted here that has a fit sport manual going up against a yaris sedan auto, these cars are so different can they really be compared objectively?)
i've driven both of these cars in manual/auto configurations and i come away thinking both are great value for the price, but will appeal to different people.

the fit has the yaris hatch beat hands down on interior, the magic seat configurations, quality of materials, the extras honda throws in.

imo, the yaris hatch kills the fit on exterior styling. while not to everyone's taste, the look is current and unique. the fit does look like a shrunken honda oddysey, a mini-mini-van, but i'm looking forward to the redesign which should happen in a couple of years.

toyota went to great lengths to keep the price down on the yaris, and certain features defiinitely suffered because of it but when considering the demographics of who will buy these cars, price is probably very important.
i was surprised at how much more expensive the fit was compared to the yaris, here in canada anyway.

the fit's handling is marginally superior, the yaris's acceleration is marginally superior, the yaris has marginally better fuel economy, the fit has the classic honda performance pedigree and reliability, the yaris has toyota reliability.

i think if you are looking for a small, effecient car, no need to brand-bash, either of these is a good choice,

probably a better choice than a hyundai accent or chevy aveo.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by peeker
(there is a review posted here that has a fit sport manual going up against a yaris sedan auto, these cars are so different can they really be compared objectively?)
That was me a while ago in the gas mileage thread giving Consumer Reports real world gas milage from their tests. It was an Auto Fit Base vs. a Auto Yaris sedan (they only tested the hatch w/MT). I was just pointing out that the milage differences between the Fit and Yaris wasn't very big per those tests, and I did put in a caveat about not quite an apples to apples comparison because they weren't both hatches (same engine, tranny, though) I wasn't trying to make any other comparisons there.

i was surprised at how much more expensive the fit was compared to the yaris, here in canada anyway.
When comparably equipped (ABS, cruise, air bags, etc, there's very little difference in price in the US (maybe $200 or so from memory). A stripped Yaris is quite a bit cheaper, though.

probably a better choice than a hyundai accent or chevy aveo.
That's for sure, but given the price differences in the US, I'd take the Fit any day over the Yaris. My #2 choice ended up being a Mazda3 hatch, but that car really is in a different class ($$$).

Old 03-16-2007, 02:02 PM
When comparably equipped (ABS, cruise, air bags, etc, there's very little difference in price in the US (maybe $200 or so from memory). A stripped Yaris is quite a bit cheaper, though.
couple thousand here in canada, although the fit would have + side airbags, 60/40 seats compared to the yaris hatch.

Quick Reply: Yaris vs. Fit