Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Yaris vs. Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:07 PM
After researching the crap out of the top subcompacts i test drove a few of them today, being the yaris, versa, fit.

After test driving them and pushing them to their limits in all their areas i have to admit it was no contest, the fit dominated them all.

I'm heading back to purchase the sport and now just reading this thread and its funny to see all that im reading here wasnt all "hype" or people flaming the other guys, specially the yaris. It was all pretty much true and i think it was best said wheover it was on the first page,
"The interior doesn't look like "Made in China".

Old 01-31-2008, 12:08 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yep, i never lie about my experience.

if things were great, i wouldve highlighted what was so great.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:14 PM
I test drove both the 5 door yaris hatch AT and the fit MT recently. The only good thing i have to say is it is a solid little car that is good on gas. The yaris feels okay to drive but during my drive i almost fell asleep. Possibly because it reminded me of the tercel i once owned or i was just tired from test driving cars -not sure which. Anyway the yaris does not work for me because

1. i do not like the centre speedometer idea. It's not where i am used to and you do not want your passengers to be that aware of how fast you are driving.

2. the yaris has about half the storage space of the fit and it does not use what little space it has very well. The hatch is too small to fit anything large in and they mount the rear seat belt from the roof so it makes the opening even smaller.

3. The base yaris i drove doesn't even have a stereo yet and looks cheap.

4. the fit is waaayyyy better - more room, makes more sense, better interior, more exciting to drive, etc. And it lookes better.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
toyota yaris is like sony's lower-end consumer products.

people buy it for the brand name and get a crappy product. there is
really no other explanation.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
the yaris might be more handy in sf... fit into tighter parking spots, and why care about the bumpers on such a cheap car :D

Old 02-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I made a special signature just for this thread :hyper:

Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
I made a special signature just for this thread :hyper:

Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
lol, that is super creepy!!!! :eek:

Old 02-11-2008, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
thats hilarious solbrother

Old 03-02-2008, 08:08 AM
LOL, Yaris just made the 11 WORST list from Consumer Reports!

11 worst cars - Consumer Reports - Toyota Yaris (base, manual transmission) (7) - CNNMoney.com

Old 03-02-2008, 10:08 AM
As most of you here I ended up buy a Fit, styling, performance and fuel economy where just the balance I was looking for at just the right place. But it was mostly for fuel economy. And I've recently comme across some one saying they can pull off 950km (summer driving, 750 winter) on there '07 Yaris (base model, 5MT an no options what so ever). Now this is a good source (not some kid off the street if you know what i meen) so I'm taking this seriously, hell the fit and yaris have basicly the same tank capacity and I'm sure as hell not getting 950km in the summer, heck I'll be lucky to get 600-625km. So if anyone can tell me how this is possible or if there's something I'm not getting OR better yet somethings wrong with my Fit LX I'd appriciate. Buy the way I know my car is an LX and all it emplie but still that much of a difference?...come on?!

POINTS OF INTEREST:
this yaris driver drives +/-75km a day
currently has 50 000km on the car
always drives alone
persone should weight +/- 130-140lbs
low rpm shifting
nerver go's above 90km/h
dose moslty country and city driving (no highway)

P.S. as you can see I've tried rapping my mind around this and even thought I have a couple of ideas I'd luv some imput on this.

thanks!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
If any of you are in the southern california area and curious about how both vehicles perform against each other:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/cali...-fit-vitz.html

If you will be anywhere near the area, please come by to spectate or even attend.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 03-03-2008, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
If my wife and I did not have to carry anyone or anything, we might have considered a Yaris HB. It's a good city rounabout that gets an excellent gas mileage. However, for our purpose, we carry other people and lots of things in the back, the Fit is the winner.

Now, if Toyota offered in the U.S. a 5-door HB as in Canada, it might have been an interesting situation in our household. I am thinking like the Japanese market, since the Fit and Vitz (Yaris) are the biggest competitors over there.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member
I drove both and found the Yaris actually felt tighter to drive than the Fit on first impression. The two reasons I didn't go with the Yaris - no hatchback/4door version in the US, and I had to pay extra for safety options I considered necessary. I looked at the Corolla and Matrix briefly but considered the Fit to be a better deal. I haven't regretted my purchase a bit.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Toyota needs to cut down on the options and just offer base or loaded. And why are air-bags and abs optional? The times I went Toyota shopping, the safety features weren't sitting on their car lots.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Yaris in Iceland

Hi,
I have a Fit on order at present. It should arrive in April -- I'm excited!
Anyway, last summer my wife and I rented a Yaris for two weeks during a trip in Iceland. It was a decent little car. Good gas mileage, nice and nimble, and I didn't have any trouble adapting to the center-mounted gauge console. What we didn't like about it was the lack of usable space. We ended up carrying one of our bags on the back seat because both bags wouldn't fit in the Y's trunk at the same time.
The Fit seems to me to be a much better all-around car. Some friends of ours have one, and I drove theirs, plus have ridden in it several times. We have horses, and often we buy stuff like bags of wood shavings (for bedding), bags of feed, etc. Right now we have a Subaru station wagon, and we can do light hauling in it, and I wanted to be sure we could do the same with our new car. It's pretty clear that the Fit holds a lot more stuff than the Yaris, and it's easier to get that stuff into and out of the Fit.
Add in the airbags, and it was a no-brainer to pick the Fit over the Yaris.