Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Fit Vs Yaris

Old 04-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Fit Vs Yaris

Hi everyone...

When shopping for our new car, we tested two. The Yaris and the Fit.
Well... in our opinion, the Fit blew the Yaris out of the water.

For one thing, the storage space behind the Fit's hatch was almost twice as much as the Yaris, and the seats were more comfortable. The Fit also has cruise control while the Yaris doesn't. That's a big deal to us since we travel alot, lots of highway driving. Plus the Fit has more safety features like side airbags, which the Yaris doesn't.

Also.. keep in mind my husband is 6'2 and a big guy (football player physique). My husband test drove both, and he said the Fit was more manouverable and fun to drive, with lots of room above his head and lots of elbow room. He said he felt cramped in the Yaris, and it didn't have as much pep. All that aside, which would you rather be seen driving, a car that looks like a car, or something that looks squished?!

Kristie

Old 04-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Buy the Fit. Read your post, it's the one you want.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:33 PM
We eventually did buy the Fit. We got it just a few days ago, actually! Black Fit Sport

Old 04-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Congrat, krisams..What would you do to your new Fit ? Mild performance modif ?

Old 04-22-2006, 10:11 PM
How do you like it so far?

Old 04-22-2006, 11:20 PM
So far I love it! The only thing we added was floormats and the illumination package, but it was perfect just as it was! It's a blast to drive (I just spent an hour going somewhere that usually takes 5 minutes just for the ride)! My husband doesn't really like the spoiler, but that's just him. I think it looks sporty and it really has great power for such a little thing!

Last edited by krisarms; 04-22-2006 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm not crazy about the spoiler either. It's kinda silly on an economy car.

I AM enjoying driving it. I made 3 trips to the store today just to take it for a spin.

BTW...Go Ducks!

Old 04-23-2006, 01:17 AM
haha i will so go for fit xD is better lookin and there sportish feel when u drive it xD

Old 04-24-2006, 01:28 AM
Spoiler...

I kinda like the spoiler... it makes the car look so sporty and quick, even when it's not going anywhere! :p

Old 04-27-2006, 12:30 PM
i gotta say while i plan on getting a fit (but also considering a used matrix or waiting for the next generation xb or even risking VW rabbit reliability) - the looks of the Yaris are really growing on me, whereas the Fit looks a little like a dustbuster, exp. with the US bumpers.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by dartvader
i gotta say while i plan on getting a fit (but also considering a used matrix or waiting for the next generation xb or even risking VW rabbit reliability) - the looks of the Yaris are really growing on me, whereas the Fit looks a little like a dustbuster, exp. with the US bumpers.
My wife and I agree with you, but when it comes right down to it you spend more time on the inside than the outside, and between the cargo volume and the better feel of the manual transmission and the overal handling, we went with the Fit. Actually, because of the price we also were considering the Scion, but the Fit was worth the $1500 more.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Must be tough driving a Fit in Calgary, with all the cowboys in trucks.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:13 AM
It's an experience, to be sure. There are lots of trucks here driven by some really irritating people. I'm sure think they think all little cars are just entertainment or something... I had one huge truck stay on my bumper the other day.... thought I was going to end up with it attached to my Fit!

But mostly I find lots of little cars the size of the Fit on the roads here. For us, the Fit was a great choice because it offered some great features plus we liked the fact that gas was going to be much cheaper than the truck we just replaced it with. There are lots of trucks too... I see mostly half-tons in my area.

Do you live in Calgary or thereabouts?

Old 04-28-2006, 12:32 AM
IMO the fit without the spoiler is a bit awkward to look at especially from the side...but the spoiler isn't so outstanding and really blends in...my .02 cents

Old 04-28-2006, 01:47 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
i was so close of getting the yaris until i found out about the FIT...then i kept going back and forth with both cars...bottom line the FIT is just so much better than the yaris:o

Old 04-28-2006, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member
For you Canadians, the Fit may have some more competition from the Yaris due to the 5 door being sold there. Here, in your neighbour to the south......"IF" Toyota had brought over the 5 door Yaris, then I may have gone and looked at them. I am a longtime Toyota owner, but the three door and the ugly 4 door sedan did nothing for me. A shame, as I got the dealer literature for the Yaris from Holland in 1999/2000 when they first arrived there and hoped the car would make it here, but we got the Echo.....

I pick up my Fit in six hours.....

Garrett

Old 04-28-2006, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by krisarms
So far I love it! The only thing we added was floormats and the illumination package, but it was perfect just as it was! It's a blast to drive (I just spent an hour going somewhere that usually takes 5 minutes just for the ride)! My husband doesn't really like the spoiler, but that's just him. I think it looks sporty and it really has great power for such a little thing!
Sounds like me when I'm in the S2000 ;)

Old 04-28-2006, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spule 4
For you Canadians, the Fit may have some more competition from the Yaris due to the 5 door being sold there. Here, in your neighbour to the south......"IF" Toyota had brought over the 5 door Yaris, then I may have gone and looked at them. I am a longtime Toyota owner, but the three door and the ugly 4 door sedan did nothing for me. A shame, as I got the dealer literature for the Yaris from Holland in 1999/2000 when they first arrived there and hoped the car would make it here, but we got the Echo.....

I pick up my Fit in six hours.....

Garrett
Very true, I was cross shopping the Yaris Hatchback and the Fit. But this is only due to the lack of the Scion xA in Canada. This is also probably why it isn't available in the US, for fear of cannibalizing xA sales.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:57 PM
If you are looking for more of a performing car, the Fit will definitely be your winner. Cargo room is also spaced for better use than the yaris. But if its price you are looking at, Fit can't touch the Yaris hatchback. Although it is pretty stripped in terms of base, it is declared a entry level car so as long as you kept that in mind.

Personally, i'd say go with the Fit. More sport oriented, gas milage is still great, and you will definitely find the interior feeling much more expensive than the yaris. Both are great cars for the money, but the Fit offers more in every way.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xbowner
If you are looking for more of a performing car, the Fit will definitely be your winner. Cargo room is also spaced for better use than the yaris. But if its price you are looking at, Fit can't touch the Yaris hatchback. Although it is pretty stripped in terms of base, it is declared a entry level car so as long as you kept that in mind.

Personally, i'd say go with the Fit. More sport oriented, gas milage is still great, and you will definitely find the interior feeling much more expensive than the yaris. Both are great cars for the money, but the Fit offers more in every way.
In my 12 hours and 90 miles of ownership of my base 5 speed Fit, I find that it is more like a European car than any Toyota I have been around.

I am VERY happy with the Fit (my first Honda) and you are right in this post about it being "above" the Yaris on paper.

I still wish to drive a Yaris hatch one day...I will have to take the wife's Camry to the dealer that day tho!

Garrett

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fit Vs Yaris