General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

USAwill recieve the L15A VTEC Engine!!

Old 11-17-2005, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BKKJack
If CVT's and autos are so great, why do the most powerful and efficient engines (motorcycles) still use manuals?
Reason is simple: weight saving. Given you want to keep the weight of a motorcycle as low as possible, using a manual transmission is the way to go since it has the lightest weight (no heavy torque converter to deal with).

By the way, it does take some getting used to with a CVT automatic. As an owner of the 1998 Civic HX CVT coupé that uses the Multimatic CVT, the engine "locks" at 3000 rpm during acceleration, but the movement of the two pulleys constantly changes the gear ratio in a continuous fashion for most efficient operation. That's why my car gets 33-37 mpg most of the time.

Old 11-17-2005, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
So, is saving weight not important in cars as well? I would think that it would be, especially in a car that weighs just a little more than a ton.

You also didn't mention the associated power losses in an auto. They have been reduced with the latest generations, but they are still there. Even your CVT has slippage until it locks up. It would be interesting to compare the slippage losses from a CVT to clutch engagement/disengagement in a manual. I'm no engineer, so I have no idea how it would be done. Of course every system loses power from the crank to the axle. Even something as simple as a motorcycle chain doesn't transmit 100% of the power applied to it. So it just boils down to personal preference.

I just feel better driving a manual. That's why every car I have owned, save the family minivan has had a stick. I hate driving the van! I just hope I have the option to choose the manual on my Fit. If not, I'll be shopping elsewhere. That would be sad. I love the Fit.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BKKJack
You also didn't mention the associated power losses in an auto. They have been reduced with the latest generations, but they are still there. Even your CVT has slippage until it locks up. It would be interesting to compare the slippage losses from a CVT to clutch engagement/disengagement in a manual.
Actually, because of the way a CVT works if "feels" like slippage but there is very low loss from slippage compared to a normal automatic with its torque converter. That's because on the Multimatic CVT it uses clutch plates instead of a torque converter, so the power to transmitted from the engine to driveshaft quite efficiently.

The Antonov AAD transmission that Honda has been working on since 2002 also lacks a torque converter, and its unique design allows for a very light automatic transmission that shifts between gears very quickly and efficiently.