General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

honda jazz' achilles heel

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Thumbs down honda jazz' achilles heel

guys!!! ive been hit at the rear of my car two times already....this is all i can say....jazz/fit rear is so damn soft!!!...my rear end is so damaged that the whole aft went in!! and the other cars' damage?? a broken front bumper...****!!

Old 12-12-2005, 10:58 AM
shibato042004,

Sorry to hear that your Jazz was damaged so badly. Thanks for sharing your experience with your Jazz. Can you give us a little more information like the estimated speed at impact, the cost to fix your Jazz and maybe a picture of the damage. I'm sure people interested in buying a Jazz or Fit and present owners would like to learn from you.

I'm not sure but I think the Jazz only has 2.5 mph rated bumpers like most cars sold today. Any speed over 3 mph and many cars sold today experience sometimes major damage requiring hundreds of dollars to fix. Consumer reports test new cars every year to judge how bumpers fair in low speed collisions. From your description I’m curious to see how the Fit’s bumpers are rated.

I hope your insurance company fixes your car quickly.

D

Old 12-12-2005, 11:13 AM
my heel

well..car is fixed! it's all covered by the insurance..it costs at about 16 thou riyals..(just do the conversion from where u are...)the problem is the other car is not that fast!!??...well, i love honda jazz no doubt....but things like this??! it's all about safety....right mate?

cheers!!

shibato

Old 12-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Shibato,

Thanks for the quick reply. WOW 16,000 riyals is $4,395 USD or $5,085 CND.
Thats a lot for a low speed rear end collision.

Glad Its fixed though.

D

Old 12-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Isn't that the way it was designed to?

I don't know much about cars (other than what I like and dislike).

But because it's a small car and the crumple zone(front and rear??) supposed to lessen the impact on the human body, maybe it was designed to do that to minimize the impact. I think US has a higher speed bumper requirement so it should be slightly better when it shows up here. I didn't hear about major medical issues so maybe it did what it was supposed to. Just my two cents.

Originally Posted by shibato042004
guys!!! ive been hit at the rear of my car two times already....this is all i can say....jazz/fit rear is so damn soft!!!...my rear end is so damaged that the whole aft went in!! and the other cars' damage?? a broken front bumper...****!!

Old 12-21-2005, 12:47 PM
The Honda Fit slated for the U.S. will have to meet more stringent crash test standards than most countries. Honda has been trying to get the Fit into the U.S. for a couple years, and I'm sure this is one reason it has taken so long.

It is also true that more recent vehicles (and Honda in particular) use crumple zones to protect the passenger. This sacrifices sheet metal and other materials (which means higher repair costs). However, the number of fatalities and serious injuries are usually less, thus less medical expenses. All manufactures could make cars that withstand heavy damage, but the trade off would be more deaths. While I don't like higher insurance costs, it's better than being laid up in a hospital, or worse, dead.