General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Have you accidentally unlocked car w/ keyless entry?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Have you accidentally unlocked car w/ keyless entry?

I've never had keyless entry before on my car. I've never liked the idea of carrying around a separate plastic piece to unlock the doors. But the 2009 Fit has an integrated Key for the Sport model. So I'm considering the Sport over the Base model.

I was wondering: has anyone accidentally ever unlocked their car without meaning to because of the keyless entry button? For example, you put your key in your purse or pocket or whatever and the doors unlock because the button was pressed against accidentally? Before I get keyless entry, I want to make sure that I won't be prone to accidentally leave the doors unlock when I'm walking away from the car. I've seen some cars that auto-lock the doors if there's no activity for a couple minutes. This scares me too, because if I've left the key on the dash and gotten out of the car for something, then I'd be locked out of the car.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
i do sometimes do it.. but it NEVER unlocks... it ALWAYS locks lol. anywho... it only happens when im working on the car and i have the keys in my pockets and when im usually bent down or squatted near the car... never any other time.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Anybody know if there's a "lockout" function on any of these remote entry devices?

Old 10-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, number of times. it re-locks itself though, so that's cool.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jenhonski
Anybody know if there's a "lockout" function on any of these remote entry devices?
yah, you just remove the battery.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:09 PM

I didn't know they had batteries. How long can you go using the remote before you need to replace the batteries? Can you get the batteries at the local store or do they need to come from the dealership?

Old 10-08-2008, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
they are usually CR2032 or some lithium batteries you can buy at amazon for like $3 or even radioshack at $5 or something. it's no big deal.

they will typically last about 6yrs.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
theres a "DO NOT" list somewhere regarding the key fob. I probably read it in the manual. It's mostly common sense: do not drop keys (as you could damage the circuit board)... do not spill soda on your keys... etc.

Also, with the '08s if you unlock the car and do not open the doors within 30 seconds, it relocks. I would assume they kept that feature in the '09s. So unless someone is standing near your car waiting for that 30 second interval, you'll probably be ok.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fit4Pits
theres a "DO NOT" list somewhere regarding the key fob. I probably read it in the manual. It's mostly common sense: do not drop keys (as you could damage the circuit board)... do not spill soda on your keys... etc.

A
I've dropped my keys into a sink filled with water before (by accident of course).

Anybody NOT like keyless entry?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Don't leave your keys on the dash.

My Fit does not lock itself, ever. I have to manually push the button down or it will not lock. It does not lock itself once I am in the car either.

I have an '08 and I am not sure this feature is the same on '09s. I'm glad it doesn't lock itself automatically because I MUST lock the car before I walk away, which means I have to have the keys in my HAND.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Juliane

My Fit does not lock itself, ever. I have to manually push the button down or it will not lock. It does not lock itself once I am in the car either.

I have an '08 and I am not sure this feature is the same on '09s. I'm glad it doesn't lock itself automatically because I MUST lock the car before I walk away, which means I have to have the keys in my HAND.
Did you get keyless entry as an add-on or did it come as part of a package?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
I've never unlocked it accidently, but I have been known to lock my keys in the car once in a blue moon. I automatically press the lock knob on the door when I get out. The very first mod I made was to hide on the car a magnetic key holder with a spare (non-chipped) key. Thankfully the dealership cut it for free, since another local dealer wants $40+ for it and $90+ for the chipped key.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Cat
5 Year Member
This is my first car with keyless and entry and it has never been a problem. I love the fact that it relocks itself if you don't get into the car a certain time after you've hit the unlock. Nice safety feature.

Cat : x

Old 10-08-2008, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Jenhonski: the key fob was part of the Sport package on the '08s.

Originally Posted by Juliane

Julieane, I'm not saying that if I drive up, get out of my car and walk away the car will lock itself. It does NOT do that.
I'm saying that if I drive up, get out, LOCK the door, forget my wallet so head back towards the car and unlock the door but find my wallet in the interim before i get back to the car, then absentmindedly walk away without RElocking it (did you follow all that?!? ), then the doors relock. It's only when they were (1) locked with you on the outside, (2) unlocked, (3) then the doors NOT opened within 30 seconds.

You also cannot manually lock your keys inside, assuming the key is in the ignition. Try it sometime. Sit in the driver seat, with the keys in the ignition. Push the lock on the door, then close the door. Upon the door closing, the locks will pop up. Because, dummy, the keys are still in the ignition. This does not however safeguard against leaving your keys on the dash

Old 10-08-2008, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Ohhhhhhh.....I get what you were saying!! Yeah, the doors will re-lock in that scenario. But then what is the problem? You have the key, the doors are locked...or am I missing something?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
shrug, the OP was concerned they might unlock the car by accident with the key in their pocket or w/e. I was pointing out that it's no big deal since it would relock in that case.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Jenhonski: the key fob was part of the Sport package on the '08s.
What is "key fob"? the 2009 Sport has security with keyless entry--is this key "fob"?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:41 PM
shrug, the OP was concerned they might unlock the car by accident with the key in their pocket or w/e. I was pointing out that it's no big deal since it would relock in that case.
Thanks

Sounds like an experiment is needed:
1.) start by sitting in car with doors closed.
2.) open driver's door and exit, then close driver's door withOUT locking doors (key is on dash or in hand). So you are outside car and driver's side door is closed and unlocked.
3.) wait 30 seconds and see if door autolocks.

Anybody tried this?

Old 10-09-2008, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
it will not lock.

The "key fob" is the clicker that [un]locks your doors. With Honda this is integrated into the key itself (if it has "keyless entry").
So yes, the keyless entry is on the vehicle key. What makes it "keyless" is the clicker on it, so the key does not have to go into the door lock.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by jenhonski
Thanks

Sounds like an experiment is needed:
1.) start by sitting in car with doors closed.
2.) open driver's door and exit, then close driver's door withOUT locking doors (key is on dash or in hand). So you are outside car and driver's side door is closed and unlocked.
3.) wait 30 seconds and see if door autolocks.

Anybody tried this?
Doors will not lock unless a "lock" command has been issued via the remote or doorkey. If you walk off without locking, they will stay that way (unlocked).

Quick Reply: Have you accidentally unlocked car w/ keyless entry?