General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2009 Fit - Gas tank size > 10.6 gallons?

Old 10-18-2008, 01:53 PM
2009 Fit - Gas tank size > 10.6 gallons?

My understanding is the fit has a 10.6 gallon tank. Today I let the gas run down to near empty and then filled it up. To my surprise I was able to put 11.9 gallons in! I filled it all the way up until the gas reached the cap.

Anyone have any ideas how this can happen? Why is the tank rated at 10.6 gallons yet I can put more in? Is it possible that the fill tube can be well over a gallon? I wasn't even completely out of gas when I filled.

BTW, I'm trying to get an accurate gas reading and filling to the cap is the only way I know how to do it.

Any ideas?

Old 10-18-2008, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
The tube from the gas tank (under driver's seat) to the gas cap is quite long and holds about a gallon of extra gas. so, uh, yes you are right. I am sure someone know the exact volume of the tube, but not I.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:54 PM
The owner's manual suggests not to top off the tank. With gas going down, I find it comforting that I can now get a full tank of gas for around $30....

Old 10-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by prufrock
The owner's manual suggests not to top off the tank. With gas going down, I find it comforting that I can now get a full tank of gas for around $30....
Hmm, never thought of looking at the owners manual for such a thing. Always did this with my prior vehicles

Anyway, without topping off how else would someone get a measurement of accurate gas mileage?

Old 10-19-2008, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
I had a 2003 Civic HX that supposedly had a 13.2 gallon tank. I filled it up one day with 14.4 gallons of regular Chevron. I think the pumps lie.
I've been filling my 2009 Fit with the same gas when the light goes on and it usually takes a little over 9 gallons.
I wish the tank was a little bigger but ............

Old 10-19-2008, 01:23 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by davejulien
Hmm, never thought of looking at the owners manual for such a thing. Always did this with my prior vehicles

Anyway, without topping off how else would someone get a measurement of accurate gas mileage?
miles driven divided by gallons filled equals mile per gallon.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:56 AM
owners manual has the tank size.
i think honda kept it the same as the GD3 which would be 10.8 gallons just tank.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:21 AM
Hey bro. We just got our '09 fit sport. I ran the tank EMPTY. I know your not supposed to do that, but we were on a road trip and almost to a preferred gas station. Anyway, it only took 9.8 gallons. So, your over 11 gallons seems like the pump may have been off or something. I don't know...just thought I'd share my story that happened just tonight.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:25 AM
lol you ran till it stalled? wow, great thing for a new car :-p!
I personally filled 9.6 gallons when my light turned on. Uusally that means theres approx 30 miles left...and i average about 32mpg. I doubt the new tanks are even smaller.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by nodrogkam
lol you ran till it stalled? wow, great thing for a new car :-p!
I personally filled 9.6 gallons when my light turned on. Uusally that means theres approx 30 miles left...and i average about 32mpg. I doubt the new tanks are even smaller.
I didn't say that, but it was down there...I drove about 15 miles past the light being on. So..that's why I said it was EMPTY.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:30 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
when the light comes on you have about 1.5 gallons left in the tank give or take.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:31 AM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
when the light comes on you have about 1.5 gallons left in the tank give or take.
I agree, I think it comes on when you have about 50 miles left. But still, my tank was pretty low.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:39 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TitePhit
I agree, I think it comes on when you have about 50 miles left. But still, my tank was pretty low.
i read something about the gd3 that says that about when the gas light comes on.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:41 AM
CBX
One of the funniest sights in recent memory was a Prius on the shoulder in Colorado, fueling from a one gallon gas can!

Old 10-19-2008, 02:43 AM
I didn't say that, but it was down there...I drove about 15 miles past the light being on. So..that's why I said it was EMPTY.
haha good.
yeah u totally had at least half a gallon left in your tank.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:55 AM
Originally Posted by nodrogkam
haha good.
yeah u totally had at least half a gallon left in your tank.
Oh, sorry...I guess that doesn't qualify as EMPTY to you. In my world however, a half gallon is EMPTY. Sorry for any confusion.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:34 AM
Oh, sorry...I guess that doesn't qualify as EMPTY to you. In my world however, a half gallon is EMPTY. Sorry for any confusion.
I keep a 2.5 gallon gas can in my trunk(have for years) so I knew I could run the tank pretty low and didn't even care if I ran out. I was able to go for a very long time with the light on and never ran out of gas. Finally I decided to stop and was able to put in 11.897 gallons @ $2.759 totaling $32.82. I'm looking at the receipt right now.

I suppose the pump could have an inaccurate meter but I doubt this is the case considering the pumps are relatively new. I even think by law they are required to check their meters every now and then. In any case there is a brand new gas station down the road so next time I run really low on gas I'll do the same thing just to double check the other station.

BTW, if you don't fill your tank to the very top then there really is no way to accurately calculate your mileage. Another alternative might be to put a dip stick down your tank to make sure you stop at the same point you did previously when you filled it up. I doubt many would go to such an extreme though.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:52 AM
Originally Posted by davejulien
I keep a 2.5 gallon gas can in my trunk(have for years) so I knew I could run the tank pretty low and didn't even care if I ran out. I was able to go for a very long time with the light on and never ran out of gas. Finally I decided to stop and was able to put in 11.897 gallons @ $2.759 totaling $32.82. I'm looking at the receipt right now.

I suppose the pump could have an inaccurate meter but I doubt this is the case considering the pumps are relatively new. I even think by law they are required to check their meters every now and then. In any case there is a brand new gas station down the road so next time I run really low on gas I'll do the same thing just to double check the other station.

BTW, if you don't fill your tank to the very top then there really is no way to accurately calculate your mileage. Another alternative might be to put a dip stick down your tank to make sure you stop at the same point you did previously when you filled it up. I doubt many would go to such an extreme though.
Look bud, I'm not calling you a liar..as you quoted me talking to someone else. All I'm saying is honda says we have a 10.8 gallon tank. I drove my '09 fit tonight about 15 miles past the fuel light coming on...and filled it up with 9.8 gallons. So, if you filled 11.89 gallons, I would think the pump was off. It would almost seem like that was the only thing possible. How could you fit 11.89 gallons in a 10.8 gallon tank? Really, you should call your DOT or someone that controlls that sort of thing, beacause I've heard of plenty of gas station ripping customers off.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:00 AM
CBX
It's always good to have a spare!

Perhaps a small hole drilled into the top of the tank would provide a visual cue to overfilling. If you have a hard time seeing it, ckick your lighter! JK! Darwin knew.

If you can see the gasoline, it's full. I think I'll trust the auto shut-off, and not worry.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:39 AM
Look bud, I'm not calling you a liar..as you quoted me talking to someone else.
Hey dude, never said you were calling me a liar. Just keeping to the thread topic so everyone is a participant whether they like it or not. This includes you. DUH!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 Fit - Gas tank size > 10.6 gallons?