General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Questions about the Fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Questions about the Fit

So right now I am driving a Honda Ridgeline. While it is a great truck, I just moved into college and money is scarce. So I wanted to sell my truck and get a smaller car.

I was looking at the Mini Cooper but as great as they, are they are definitely out of my price range for now. I remembered the about the Fit and looked into it and so here I am with some questions. Most of those questions have to do with the Fit vs. Mini.

First, I saw that the new Fit as about as much HP as a Mini Cooper. So does the Fit has some power behind it, like does it go fast? My friend has a Mini and that thing can go.

Second, how is the handling? When I dove the Mini I loved the handling. I am wondering if the Fit handling is anything near that or can be after some mods. It doesn't have to be exactly like the Mini because then it would be a Mini. The reason I ask is because my friends take runs through the Canyons here in Southern California and it would be nice to drive with them.

Third, is it fun to drive? That goes with the handle question.

Forth, if you think that the Fit is not what I am looking for, then what would you recommend me getting? Something in the same price range would be the best option.

Thanks for the help! I hope to talk with you all more about this!

~Dreshden

Old 10-19-2008, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Ok the fit is not as fast as the mini. But i would say it handles just as good. Yes it is fun to drive. I have a 08 fit sport. But i would say u would love the fit if u drove one. If i was u i would go for a used 07-08 Fit u can find them cheap. There is one guy on here who is selling his in CA and at a good price.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
i agree the Fit is not as fast as the mini, handling its close, the Fit is on rails, as for speed, i hear the '09s despite the HP increase, are slower, due to their weight. the Fit is by no means fast, but it feels quick its fun as hell to drive and alot more versitile than the mini, i would also recomend a used 07 or 08, and def go with a manuel, the AT is just sluggish, the salesman who sold me on the fit has it nailed down in the description, its like a giant go-kart.... and it really is, take one for a test drive and you will be hooked... then comes the mods... lol

Old 10-19-2008, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
Actually I think the OP was comparing it to the base Mini, which the Fit Sport would compare to, even though the Mini is still more expensive. I remember the base mini with 105 hp to get to 60 in 8.5 secs. I drove a base long ago and it felt pretty slow to me. By comparison, the new Fit feels very energetic, and Motor Trend has it getting to 60 in 8.3 secs. But I know the current Mini has 118 hp, so it should be a little faster.

Handling is a little different between the 2. The Fit has a little more roll and is not as tossable like a go-kart. That's what the Mini is known for. It's not that the Mini has perfect handling qualities (too lengthy to explain) but it's got that super quick turn in and it weighs less than the Fit.

Still, the Fit is great fun to drive and fun to own. I heard many Mini owners complaining of not achieving anywhere near the EPA figures. My friend who had one (ended up hating it and getting rid of it for many reasons) told me she was typically getting 17 mpg in L.A. driving.

It really depends on what your priorities are. The Mini won't be anywhere near the Fit in reliability, but it has similar resale, which is outstanding for both.

Spend as much time in the Mini and see if you like the ergonomics. Mini owners ended up being frustrated with the unintuitive un-ergonomic switches and dials.

Ride is much better in the Fit too. I could do a full report between the two, but if you do some searching online, there are a few comparison tests between the two or at least reviews on both.

Question is before anyone should respond is what are your priorities?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:32 AM
my canadian LX fit is fun as hell on canyon runs. i can keep up with any one the thinks they can smoke me on the roads so power is fine. deff look for an 07 or 08

Old 10-20-2008, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
One drawback to Minis is the lack of dealer support. The nearest dealer to Chattanooga is in Atlanta, about 120 miles away. I have a friend who owns a local repair and AAA towing shop. They had towed a Mini breakdown under warranty and Mini would not let them repair it, they had to tow it to Atlanta. This could really be a problem (considering Minis are less reliable than Hondas) if you have a breakdown on the road and need parts.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks guys so much for all the responses, they really help!

I am wondering know, what are the reasons as to why to get an 07 or 08 over the 09? Is it just the price or is the handling worse or is it slower?

Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Question is before anyone should respond is what are your priorities?
Not sure that I fully understand the question. So I am taking it that you are asking what am I looking for in a car?

I am looking for a fun to drive, good handling, speed, and fuel mileage. That is the reason that I am here looking at the Fit.

Thanks again for all the help!

Old 10-20-2008, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dreshden
Thanks guys so much for all the responses, they really help!

I am wondering know, what are the reasons as to why to get an 07 or 08 over the 09? Is it just the price or is the handling worse or is it slower?

Not sure that I fully understand the question. So I am taking it that you are asking what am I looking for in a car?

I am looking for a fun to drive, good handling, speed, and fuel mileage. That is the reason that I am here looking at the Fit.

Thanks again for all the help!
Okay, so is it in that order? That's what I mean by priorities...what comes first? The Mini and Fit certainly qualify for your prerequisites, the new soon to be coming to the states Ford Fiesta is even more fun to drive than the Fit, and even Fiat is exporting their 500 over here next year, which is in direct competition with the Mini.

The thing with the Mini is just like all German makes, the advertised base price included nothing. Once you start building up your options the price tag really inflates at an alarming rate. The Mini is much about its style. If you want value, resale and ergonomics choose the Fit.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
i say go with the 07-08 cuz the 09 is slower... idk about handling...

Old 10-20-2008, 04:14 PM
MKL
I'm a long time lurker here and now I feel obliged to reply to this thread.

I live in SoCal, I drive a 07 5MT and my girlfriend drives a base 08 Cooper 6MT (And every time I back her car out of driveway she asks "Why did u put it in 6th?" ).

Handling wise I think the Fit got 80% of the Cooper's, maybe because of its higher profile. But then you get MUCH more space with the compact suspension in the FIt Still according to C&D the 07 Fit still gets better slalom speed than a Corvette (or is it 911? Can't remember)

The Fit is not as fast as the base Cooper, but the difference is minimal. The only thing I can complain about the L15 is the lack of low end torque. The BMW valvetronic (continuous variable valve timing/lift) did a pretty good job for the Mini engine, but since they killed the butterfly valve I'm not sure if they'll be really reliable.
Also because of the short gearing of the Fit it actually FEELS faster, though the mini is quieter on freeways with 26mph/1000rpm on 6th.

If you get either car, and since you're looking for the fun-to-drive factor, GET THE MT. I live in So Cal too ,I face the dreaded 3-lane section of the 5/605 intersection everyday, and I still love my MT. Especially the Fit has a really soft and easy clutch, and its very forgiving. I learned how to drive a stick at the dealership with my current Fit, and on the 2nd day I'm on that 5/605 junction already.

I agree with the people above. Get the last gen Fit. the 09 Fit is less "tossable", it's more refined, softer ride but I like the bumpy responsive ride of mine more Also don't trust the HP power, the torque is only 1 lb-ft increase. Quoting Caroll Shelby, "HP sells cars. Torque wins races"

Old 10-20-2008, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
First of all, the GDs are definitely slower than the 09s. Not only did Motor Trend get to 60 in 8.3 secs., but there's a dramatic difference in power between the 2 at around 5,000 rpms and higher. Where the GDs loses its breath at that point, the 09s start making their "serious" power, and it happily revs to redline without the harshness from the GDs.

Also, while the Cooper S has good low end torque, the base Mini feels dead down there. But like MKL stated, the acceleration difference between them are trivial.

BTW the GDs were able to outpace the likes of Corvette Z06 and Ferrari F430 in the slalom. (Car and Driver)

Old 10-22-2008, 04:35 AM
Ok thanks for the rest of the info especially to MKL

So now I am going to start my search of a used 07-08. I would love to get it in MT but the problem that I have right now is that I have only driven MT twice in my life and I don't want the car that I learn on to be a newish car. So I would love to find someone who I will be willing to lend me a run down car of theirs to learn. Any takers :P

So I think that I am going to go hopefully this weekend to the dealer and test drive the car. If they have an 07-08 I will try to drive that but I might have to make due with a test drive in the 09.

Thanks again guys, I hope that I can be around the forums more in the near future with a nice Fit of my own

Old 10-22-2008, 05:40 PM
MKL
Originally Posted by Dreshden
Ok thanks for the rest of the info especially to MKL

So now I am going to start my search of a used 07-08. I would love to get it in MT but the problem that I have right now is that I have only driven MT twice in my life and I don't want the car that I learn on to be a newish car. So I would love to find someone who I will be willing to lend me a run down car of theirs to learn. Any takers :P

So I think that I am going to go hopefully this weekend to the dealer and test drive the car. If they have an 07-08 I will try to drive that but I might have to make due with a test drive in the 09.

Thanks again guys, I hope that I can be around the forums more in the near future with a nice Fit of my own
You're welcome. IMHO, Don't worry about the newbie MT issue if you buy a used one. Once again this is very easy to learn, over my last 27k+ miles I stalled only like 10 times (remember this is my very first MT). In a week you'll be doing downshifts rev matching and what not (See you in Akina ).

And you won't know how the previous owner drove it anyways. Side story: my coworker's tC needed a new clutch @ 30k. He doesn't do anything crazy and we wondered why until another guy spotted him riding the clutch (pressing it halfways) on red lights uphill. He was oblivious to the damage it can do and he do that just to prevent rollbacks.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
1) Being a SOHC 1.5L, the Fit isn't exactly a monster accelerator. It's quick off the line, but lacks a lot of hp/tq in the higher RPM ranges.

2) The Fit handles like a champ. Even in stock form.

3) The Fit is loads of fun to drive!

4) I think the Fit is perfect for you. I'm a college student as well.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:46 PM
My wife and I just came back from a college visit to see our daughter. The Fit is even more impressive on the highway than in city traffic. We easily averaged over 40 MPG on our trip; moreover, the car does handle like it's on rails. I could see this car "fitting" in extremely well for a college student, given its fun-to-drive quotient, bang-for-the-buck initial investment, compartability because of its many configurations, and its MPG. To me, this is a no-brainer....