General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit v. Mini

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Fit v. Mini

hey, i am looking to buy a new pre-owned vehicle and it is a toss up between a Mini and the Fit. Which would you suggest?

Old 11-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Fit on reliability alone! I've heard some bad stories about Minis and how many were returned under the lemon law. I've never driven one so I can't comment on that aspect of the car.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, after I checked out the MINI owners' forum and read the horror stories there, you couldn't pay me to own one.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TeeZeeMee
hey, i am looking to buy a new pre-owned vehicle and it is a toss up between a Mini and the Fit. Which would you suggest?
if this is your only car, get the fit for sure. MINI's are not reliable (i speak from experience) and known for spontaneous fires. i thought they fixed the problem already but i was noted recently by a poster here that the R56's are still having the same problems.

if this is your second or 3rd car then MINI might be a fun choice. they are great fun cars for play.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
It really depends on what you're looking for, since they're both very different cars, other than the fact that they're fairly simple to park due to their size and packaging.

You already know about the Fit -- it's very roomy (considering the fact that it's not really that big of a car on the outside), economical and reliable. The Mini is going to be much more fun, since it handles significantly better and potentially accelerates faster as well, particularly if you go for the Cooper S. However, it's great for one or two people, but if you have to haul more people than that, it's going to suck for anyone who isn't in the driver's seat. I remember being next to one on the freeway and glancing over to see four people inside of it, but each of the three passengers had two cardboard file boxes (whatever they're called) stacked on top of each other on their laps.

What are your wants and needs? Any budget concerns?

Old 11-16-2011, 02:33 PM
I think i have decided on the Fit i looked into stuff as well, now my next question is which generation to get because it seems that all the mods i would want to do are only for the USDM 07-08 models.

I like the look of both generation so im just wondering which one to get as i want to do an intake and torque damper, maybe even turbo in the near future!

Old 11-16-2011, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
I think i have decided on the Fit i looked into stuff as well, now my next question is which generation to get because it seems that all the mods i would want to do are only for the USDM 07-08 models.

I like the look of both generation so im just wondering which one to get as i want to do an intake and torque damper, maybe even turbo in the near future!
If I could do it again I'd probably get a GD just because of the availability of modifications. I don't like the body style that much or the interior but who cares when you can go fast.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:23 PM
that is what i have noticed too was the the GD's have a lot more stuff for them!
i do like the looks of the GE better though, but i plan on autocrossing with it so i would like some mods.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
that is what i have noticed too was the the GD's have a lot more stuff for them!
i do like the looks of the GE better though, but i plan on autocrossing with it so i would like some mods.
Yeah sadly the go fast parts are lacking for the fit. Everything else is pretty much available though.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:40 PM
there are some great looking GE's though, really makes me consider sacrificing certain things in the time being and hope they come out.

The only MOD shop in my area that i know of is kind of crap too so i dont know how much id trust them with my car anyhow.

what have u done to ur GE?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
there are some great looking GE's though, really makes me consider sacrificing certain things in the time being and hope they come out.

The only MOD shop in my area that i know of is kind of crap too so i dont know how much id trust them with my car anyhow.

what have u done to ur GE?
Just exhaust, intake, and some visual mods. The coils I want are too expensive at the moment and the springs I want are out of stock. I'm retrofitting over the weekend but other than that nothing truly performance oriented. Should change in the next couple of months.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:19 PM
what kind of intake and exhaust?
what are your plans?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
Injen CAI/SRI and a T1R VIP exhaust. Planning on getting some springs soon or coils. I want something rather stiff as I don't really care for comfort, but more for feeling the road. Then I'll start on bracing and front strut bar. After that Probably nothing unless a turbo/sc kit comes out. Or I have enough money for an australian supercharger that won't have support for a USDM fit.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:31 PM
sounds sick. didnt even notice your signature.

ever autocross any?

Old 11-16-2011, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
sounds sick. didnt even notice your signature.

ever autocross any?
Only once. I did ok. It was a local event that a fraternity over here did as a fundraiser.. I dick around a lot but never anything serious and usually against friends with more powerful cars.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:36 PM
haha, yea i dick around a lot too, people dont think my pick up can run but its quicker than most cars!

what university? LSU?
our frats need to do schtuff like that instead of lame parties that no one really wants to go to

Old 11-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Are you planning on autocrossing for fun or competitive?

If it's competetive you're not going to want do a whole lot of mods with either chassis or you're just gonna get pummeled. Stay as close to stock as possible. If you get a GE, get the sport just for the stock rear sway bar.

If I were to get a Fit I was planning on autocrossing i'd get a GD for sure.

I have a GE for reference, it's just a daily driver, and for me in that aspect the GE is superior. I have a family to haul around though.

Mini's reliability complaints scare me, and unless you get an Cooper S I don't think the standard Cooper is much better than the Fit in any way performance wise, at least from what i've seen in person.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:00 PM
just autocrossing for fun. thats all i ever do it for seeing how there are so many good drivers and cars here. yea getting out of an S (stock) class would suck because certain cars would have a lot of power parts if competitive.

my fit will be like 90% daily driver and autocross the weekends i can make it out to an event in town.

I was looking at Cooper S's but I dont want the risk of getting one and it being shot seeing how the closest dealer would be 2 hours away to do warranty work.

Im sticking with the fit, probably gonna get a GE too and do small things to it.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
haha, yea i dick around a lot too, people dont think my pick up can run but its quicker than most cars!

what university? LSU?
The fit is impressive for having only 120 hp, Especially the manual. It won't out run much, but it'll tag along happily.

Lol no this was back when I was in Ruston at La Tech. I just noticed you're from 'Bama. No hard feelings I hope

Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Hahaha none taken! still gotta back my Tide.

have you seen the T1R racing converter? im thinking of getting that and the S51 muffler if i get a GE for sure

Quick Reply: Fit v. Mini