General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

VERY disappointed in MPG for US Fit!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
VERY disappointed in MPG for US Fit!

Honda just lost a sale from me if the MPG stats released are true. 31/38 for the AT and 33/38 for the MT just doesn't cut it for me.

Around the world this thing is getting in the 40's on highway.

I'd like for you to post as well if you are disappointed. I would like Honda to know that we want an alternative to overpriced hybrid technology.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:57 PM
I am dissapointed too.

I used to be sure my next car was going to be a honda, but now it is up in the air.

And why is the Fuel economy lower? Isn't this the same engine used in other parts of the world but yet they get better mpg?

Old 01-08-2006, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Im dissapointed in the price and mpg, you can get a Civic DX for 14K and 38+ MPG.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by RODSFIT
Im dissapointed in the price and mpg, you can get a Civic DX for 14K and 38+ MPG.
But the Civic is not a hatch, at least not in the US...Matrix is my next choice, but I still want to test drive the Fit and compare. Lucky for Honda that Toyota will not be selling the 5-door Yaris here, otherwise, I'd be pretty interested in it.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tulip
But the Civic is not a hatch, at least not in the US...Matrix is my next choice, but I still want to test drive the Fit and compare. Lucky for Honda that Toyota will not be selling the 5-door Yaris here, otherwise, I'd be pretty interested in it.
That is very true, I saw the Yaris at the L.A. Auto Show earlier this week. It's not bad 40 mpg and 10995 MSRP. It's only the 3 door, but I think it will be good enough. I will still be checking out the Fit, I am pretty sure the stealerships will be marking them up.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:13 PM
I am disappointed with the mileage as well, and am now also considering the Yaris, (as well as the Hyundai Accent three door). See my rant at https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/3327-us-press-page.html

Old 01-08-2006, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
What a let down. How can a larger car (a al Civic) get better MPG? I guess they want me to buy the Civic instead?

Old 01-08-2006, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Keep in mind that US gallons are smaller than Imperial gallons.
I still think the MPG could've been better. Small complaint though.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:50 PM
oh come on! you people are never happy!! the scion twins are only getting 30-35 mpg in the real world, and civic owners are only turning out 27-35 on thier cars. if the fit gets real world numbers at 36-38 i will be sold. hell i already am because its a hatch. the MPG isnt everything after all.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by S600=dream
oh come on! you people are never happy!! the scion twins are only getting 30-35 mpg in the real world, and civic owners are only turning out 27-35 on thier cars. if the fit gets real world numbers at 36-38 i will be sold. hell i already am because its a hatch. the MPG isnt everything after all.
exactly why I'm interested in it, because it's a 4door hatch. As it stands I'll be looking more into the sport since I want cruse control even though I'd rather not pay extra for the body kit and alloy wheels. Plus I kinda like the orange color that's only avalible on the sport.

Old 01-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Cool Cool color

I was set on Silver but...
That orange / copper hue is quite nice...

Old 01-08-2006, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
no pleasing some people is there? Don't you guys live off the dream of bigger car = better = less mpg?! I didn't know american's were so conscious about having higher mpg.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:08 PM
YES! a true disappointment. i was so hoping to buy the fit but now i am not going to. i was hoping that honda will be releasing a new model but i guess not. it is the same 5 year old model sold around the world. I agree with some of you about the gas mileage. it is a true disappointment. The car should be getting something in the 45 mpg range. i mean it is a smaller and weaker car then the civic so why is the gas mileage worst? honda sucks now. i think i might go for the toyota yaris but now Hyundai is starting to look good. i really like a small car with great gas mileage. small car is funner to drive also. i guess honda is trying to make people move up to the civic for better fuel economy and higher profit margin. anyway, honda disappointed me today and i will not be buying the 5 year old honda fit or the new civic. i'm not too fond of the recent models from honda. the previous generation honda accord was probably the best (1998-2002?). honda needs something cool for the young people like me.

read my other post:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/3269-fit-surprises.html

Old 01-08-2006, 09:14 PM
For now I'll keep my '96 Golf and my money in the bank, but considering everything the Fit is still on my short list.

Last edited by jpmccormac; 01-12-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
My only disappointment is the rear drum brakes. I guess I will have to buy a set of rear disks in Thailand before I go home next December and buy the Fit.

I am happy Honda didn't install some horrible automatic climate control. It appears to be completely manual, including totally independent a/c activation. Bravo, Honda! Also, good job on the audio accessory plug-in.

All of you ranting about the horrible gas mileage, please go buy something else. That will leave more 5MT Sport versions for me. Keynesian ecomomics rule!

Old 01-08-2006, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation

I drive a 1998 Honda Civic HX CVT and I get somewhere between 32 and 37 mpg, depending on driving conditions (and really depending on if I turn on the A/C or not). The highest I've ever seen was about 38 mpg, but that was driving in the spring on Interstate 5 in California's Central Valley with a tailwind to push me along and no A/C running.

People forget that the so-called great fuel efficiency of the European-market Honda Jazz is based on the measurement by the British Imperial gallon, which is about 20% larger than the US gallon. In short, the EPA rating of the US-market car with the 5AT is actually 37 mpg city, 46 mpg highway if we measure by Imperial gallons.

Last edited by MtViewGuy188; 01-08-2006 at 09:23 PM. Reason: add more information
Old 01-08-2006, 09:35 PM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Yes, but.... the Australian 2005 Jazz brochure lists a combined rating that works out to 39 miles per US gallon for the 1.5L VTEC; that's better than the reported highway rating of the US fit, let alone a city/highway combination. Someone's got some 'splainin to do.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Perhaps the US market Fit has additional weight to haul around or slightly different gearing?
Also, please don't take EPA ratings as the absolute truth.

Last edited by vkeks05; 01-08-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
I drive a 1998 Honda Civic HX CVT and I get somewhere between 32 and 37 mpg, depending on driving conditions (and really depending on if I turn on the A/C or not). The highest I've ever seen was about 38 mpg, but that was driving in the spring on Interstate 5 in California's Central Valley with a tailwind to push me along and no A/C running.
really? I thought the HX could do better than that! I was concidering one years back, but decided to keep my jetta. It averaged in the 30-32MPG range with a mix of city/highway. I usually got in the mid/high 30's when I took long highway trips. My worst economy was an average of 24MPG towing a 1ton trailer across the country in the summer. My best was on Interstate 8 in the fall between a gas station at exit 1 in Yuma, AZ and all the way to the chevron on the corner of Prince and Campbell in Tucson, AZ. It was at night with no traffic, A/C off, definate tail wind, cruse control locked in at 85MPH, I got 46MPG

Back on topic, I still think dispite the lackluster fuel economy ratings that the fit is a great little car. I think when compared to all the other small cars that are avalible it seems to be the best one out of all of them. The only factor left is how it feels on the road. That's the one thing I'm not compleatly happy about with my Element... I miss that european car feel of my previous cars (mostly VWs)

Old 01-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by S600=dream
On the contrary, I would be happy if the Fit got 40+ MPG. The Scion xA weighing in at 2340/2380 (manual/automatic) is rated at 32/37 MPG manual, and 31/38 MPG automatic. The xB weighing in at 2415/2470 (manual/automatic) is rated 30/33 MPG manual, 30/34 MPG automatic. The Honda Fit weighing in at 2432/2551 (manual/automatic) is rated at 33/38 MPG manual, 31/38 MPG automatic.

I am currently driving a 1990 Honda Accord EX back and forth to work because my S-10 4x4 only gets about 20 MPG. My Accord with a 2.2L 127 horsepower engine and 168,000 miles on it gets 27 - 30 MPG combined. It's 16 freaking years old, I would expect that a brand new car with new technology weighing less with a much smaller engine would far surpass my old Honda in real world MPG's.

I like the look of the Fit, but it's a four year old design. I like the fact that the horsepower is higher than Fit/Jazz models in other countries, but that may not be enough to sell me.

The Toyota Yaris three door hatchback weighing at around 2300 lbs. is rated at up to 40+ MPG. Of course it's a three door hatch, rather than a five door, but the price is considerably less. I think the folks at Toyota are yucking it up right now after the debut of the Fit. They have little to be concerned about.

You say MPG's aren't everything, but say that again in a few years. I guarentee you that the days of inexpensive gasoline are gone forever. With the current global geopolitical situation, gas prices will only increase with time, and at a much higher rate than inflation.

Last edited by papawhiskey; 01-08-2006 at 10:08 PM.

Quick Reply: VERY disappointed in MPG for US Fit!