General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Highest MPG among non-hybrids according to EPA

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 03:03 PM
mav
Highest MPG among non-hybrids according to EPA

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/mpg/highestpop.htm

According to the EPA, the Fit's estimated 33/38 fuel economy is the highest among non-hybrid and non-diesel cars available in the United States. The Fit is only beat out by mostly hybrids and a diesel. The closest competitor is the Toyota Corolla, which delivers 32/41.

So there... now stop your bitching about fuel economy.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Thumbs up

Amen!................

Old 01-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by mav
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/mpg/highestpop.htm

According to the EPA, the Fit's estimated 33/38 fuel economy is the highest among non-hybrid and non-diesel cars available in the United States. The Fit is only beat out by mostly hybrids and a diesel. The closest competitor is the Toyota Corolla, which delivers 32/41.

So there... now stop your bitching about fuel economy.
If the Corrola is 32/41, how can you say "the Fit's estimated 33/38 fuel economy is the highest among non-hybrid and non-diesel cars available in the United States."? The Fit isn't even listed on that page. That's obviously because the Fit was not yet available for testing, or was currently in testing on October 1st, 2005.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:20 PM
mav
Of course the Fit isn't listed on that website... Its not officially out yet. But when it is, it will be slotted right above the Corolla and below the hybrids. It beats the Corolla by 1MPG city and to my knowledge, the ranking sort is by city MPG, not highway.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Why is the Honda insight not listed?

Old 01-10-2006, 05:33 PM
The Fit is a 2007 model year car so it doesn't belong on that list. If you compare it with other 2007 model year cars, then you have the new Yaris (34/40), new Versa (38mpg city/highway average) and Corolla (32/41) although I think its due for a redesign by the end of the year. Not sure. We should see a new and improved Scion Xb and a Mazda2 before the end of the year.
So there. Stop your bitchin about our bitchin.

Last edited by tjts1; 01-10-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
2006 Civic 30/40 MPG. The Fit is suppose to be a small economical car, 38 MPG is pathetic. It should be in the mid 40's.

Old 01-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by tjts1
The Fit is a 2007 model year car so it doesn't belong on that list. If you compare it with other 2007 model year cars, then you have the new Yaris (34/40), new Versa (38mpg city/highway average) and Corolla (32/41) although I think its due for a redesign by the end of the year. Not sure. We should see a new and improved Scion Xb and a Mazda2 before the end of the year.
So there. Stop your bitchin about our bitchin.
Haha..."stop your bitchin about our bitchin" But it's so much fun.

But wait a minute, the Yaris has a city rating of 34, that's better than the Fit, so it would be the highest according to the explanation above.

Old 01-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Angry 33/38 mpg sucks! We beat that 10 years ago!

Yo mav you don't know squat! The 1996 Honda Civic HX CVT got 34 city/38 highway. The 5 speed got 35 city/43 highway, AND THAT WAS 10 YEARS AGO MOFO!

Not to mention that the Honda Fit gets in US MPG about 35 city/ 50 highway over seas. If you calculate the weight differential between the us model and over seas the difference is only 300 pounds. Which would lessen the mpg to about 3 less. SO THE US MODEL SHOULD BE GETTING ABOUT 32 CITY/ 47 HIGHWAY, BUT WITH THE NEW ADVANCEMENT IN THE HONDA ENGINE THE MPG WOULD BE EVEN HIGHER!!!!! LIKE 33 -35 CITY / 47 - 50 HIGHWAY!!!!! SO it's no wonder people are pissed off that the US MODEL IS ONLY GETTING 33/38!!!! HONDA IS TOO SCARED THAT THE HIGH MPG WILL TAKE AWAY SALES FROM ITS MONEY MAKING HIGHBRIDS AND CIVICS!!! SURE HONDA WILL ATTRACT SOME YOUNG BUYERS TO BE LOYAL TO HONDA, BUT THEY MADE THE MISTAKE OF DOWN GRADING THE AMERICAN MODEL. MANY PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN LOYAL TO HONDA ARE DEFECTING TO BE LOYAL TO OTHER BRANDS SINCE HONDA GAVE THE AMERICANS A GAS GUZZLER!!!!!!!

Old 01-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Question

Originally Posted by bsgump
MANY PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN LOYAL TO HONDA ARE DEFECTING TO BE LOYAL TO OTHER BRANDS SINCE HONDA GAVE THE AMERICANS A GAS GUZZLER!!!!!!!
How many might that be? Honda is predicting a record sales year in all markets and they usually go low on their predictions...

...AND PLEASE STOP THE ALL CAPS YELLING!

Last edited by Jonniedee; 01-10-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:28 AM
mav
Yo mav you don't know squat! The 1996 Honda Civic HX CVT got 34 city/38 highway. The 5 speed got 35 city/43 highway, AND THAT WAS 10 YEARS AGO MOFO!

Not to mention that the Honda Fit gets in US MPG about 35 city/ 50 highway over seas. If you calculate the weight differential between the us model and over seas the difference is only 300 pounds. Which would lessen the mpg to about 3 less. SO THE US MODEL SHOULD BE GETTING ABOUT 32 CITY/ 47 HIGHWAY, BUT WITH THE NEW ADVANCEMENT IN THE HONDA ENGINE THE MPG WOULD BE EVEN HIGHER!!!!! LIKE 33 -35 CITY / 47 - 50 HIGHWAY!!!!! SO it's no wonder people are pissed off that the US MODEL IS ONLY GETTING 33/38!!!! HONDA IS TOO SCARED THAT THE HIGH MPG WILL TAKE AWAY SALES FROM ITS MONEY MAKING HIGHBRIDS AND CIVICS!!! SURE HONDA WILL ATTRACT SOME YOUNG BUYERS TO BE LOYAL TO HONDA, BUT THEY MADE THE MISTAKE OF DOWN GRADING THE AMERICAN MODEL. MANY PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN LOYAL TO HONDA ARE DEFECTING TO BE LOYAL TO OTHER BRANDS SINCE HONDA GAVE THE AMERICANS A GAS GUZZLER!!!!!!!
OK, someone has anger issues.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Yo mav you don't know squat! ... {yada yada yada} ... MANY PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN LOYAL TO HONDA ARE DEFECTING TO BE LOYAL TO OTHER BRANDS SINCE HONDA GAVE THE AMERICANS A GAS GUZZLER!!!!!!!

And countless other oh-so-angry posts...
No offense meant (albeit given), but maybe you should try "thinking" before posting a message. All your anger and bitterness is clouding your weak argument and therefore muting any point you are unsuccessfully trying to make.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:28 AM
Milage figures

I was noticing on the linked website that the Toyota Prius gets 60 mpg city and 51 highway. We have three people where I work who own the Prius, and none of them get more than 48 mpg average (one even gets only 42 mpg)! The person who is getting 42 mpg average has taken their vehicle back to the dealer several times, but there is nothing mechanically wrong with the car (the dealer suggests to drive more conservatively).
Anyway, the numbers on many cars are suspect. Hondas tend to be closer to the figures, but still a little off (I get 26-28 mpg with my Accord, and my wife gets 31-33 mpg with her Civic).

Old 01-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Toyota themselves said the EPA testing method grossly over estimates the fuel consumption of hybrid vehicles. The manufacturer doesn't have any choice about how the EPA conducts the test. They have to print the numbers on the window sticker that the EPA provides for that vehicle.
In the Consumer Reports study, the Civic hybrid achived 24mpg in city driving! How the F did they manage that? In the end i think every car is capable of achiving the EPA mileage estimate in absolutely ideal conditions with hyper conservative driving.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:53 AM
Boy! 24 mpg city in a Civic hybrid? My wife's 1999 Civic Sedan EX has never gotten that poor of fuel economy, and we both drive with lead feet! I thought 31 mpg overall was bad (she gets anywhere from 31-33 mpg). What was Consumer Reports doing, redlining the car?

Old 01-11-2006, 11:21 AM
You all said exactly what is true about MPG too high...

See my post about EPA refiguring MPG in this section...

Old 01-11-2006, 04:13 PM

who the hell are you, man?! someone get this dude some valium!

Old 01-12-2006, 06:17 PM
By the way, is 33/38 the official EPA rating, or is it Honda's? The Fit is still 4 months away so these numbers may be Honda's... EPA certification is usually done last minute, i.e. the Civic EPA numbers were only available a month before intro.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by NiceFit
By the way, is 33/38 the official EPA rating, or is it Honda's? The Fit is still 4 months away so these numbers may be Honda's... EPA certification is usually done last minute, i.e. the Civic EPA numbers were only available a month before intro.
They are official EPA numbers. These won't change.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Talking 1996 - 2006 Civic HX Highest MPG among non-hybrids according to EPA

Yo What's up MAV,

I owe you an apology for one of my previous posts. Sorry bro for calling you a mofo. I admit I did have some anger issues after the the MPG figures were posted for the US Fit. I was greatly disappointed after calculating in US MPG how much higher the over seas version was getting, and that the MPG were also less than the 1996 - 2006 Civic HX 34/44 mpg.

Peace

Quick Reply: Highest MPG among non-hybrids according to EPA