General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit for kayaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 02:01 PM
I am avid daytripper and wondered for some time about the Fits ability to handle fire roads that are typically seen on kayaking trips.

I am putting an order in for a thule rack when my next paycheck arrives

Old 07-18-2011, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member
Rough Roads

Unless the roads are so rough that the Fit bottoms out, the big issue is that long kayaks will pitch up and down ("hobby horse") because there is so little spacing between the roof rack bars. Front and rear tie downs help stabilze the kayak, but the pitching motion will put dynamic loads on the rack, essentially putting momentary loads greater than the kayak's weight on the bars, and therefore on the roof. So my big advice is to take it very slow on rough roads if you have heavy and/or long kayaks.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Excellent. Much appreciated and will take it slow.

Thanks for your time

Old 08-09-2011, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
@bryangoestoschool
You will be surprised what kind of road you can bring a Fit Sport down if you have the skill.

I recently used a typical dirt access road to a river in the mts. Even 4x4 drivers decided not to drive all the way down to the river and parked in the upper parking area. I reached the bottom and some good ol' SC boys looked up from rigging their fishing rods in disbelief. They were all very quiet until one gentleman said " Well...... that's a first" and went back to rigging his rod. I will have to admit that I could smell the clutch by the time I made it back up the road though and at one point I had to get out and move a rock.

Do yourself a favor and use Thule racks when you get your car. They fit VERY well. I had to sell my Q-Towers because of roof damage and the feet moving.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Checked out different racks wanted to find something to do on the weekends with the wife decided to try out Kayaking. Order the complete Inno rack and stacker system. Now have to get the Kayaks.

Last edited by cjecpa; 07-20-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Checked out different racks wanted to find something to do on the weekends with the wife decided to try out Kayaking. Order the complete Inno rack and stacker system. Now have to get the Kayaks.
I may be the only other Inno user here, so let me know if you run into any questions getting it installed. Take your time installing the first time. It's pretty touchy getting the feet in just the right spot to make the clamps engage correctly. That said, I just got back from hauling around 90 lbs of renovation materials 800 miles on my roof, and the rack did great - no marks or dents of any kind on my roof.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks based on your pictures it looks like they connect toward the rear of each door. My stuff will be in on the 26th I will at the Dragon's Tail that day.

I was wondering if, there was any type of paint protection tape similar to what came with my deflector that I could put underneath where it connects to the car?

I got my from Auto anything base rack, stacker (based on ORS video), and fairing shipped for around $395. If I substituted the Thule base rack around $490, But I saw great reviews from other Fit owners on the Auto anything.

Last edited by cjecpa; 07-21-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Based on several reviews on here, I just ordered an Inno roof rack for my 17' sea kayak. I kept hearing that the Yakima foot pads rested on the curved edge of the Fit's roof and had a tendency to dent it and supposedly the Thule and Inno racks rested a bit on the rubber rain gutter and the peaked edge for strength. Inno won out on price. There was also these nicer looking
 Rhino racks Rhino racks
for just a tad more, but I couldn't confirm that they didn't sit in the rain gutter.

So my question is: is there the possibility of mounting the front Inno bar forward closer to the Fit's A-pillar? Will that tower/foot/clamp safely attach to the more curved part of the roof line? I'll use bow lines, but I still want max bar spread because I'm extremely paranoid about my hand built mahogany kayak, which is very valuable to me. It's much lighter than my old poly boats, but also larger in volume and that catches cross winds much more easily. Thanks for any advice...

btw this is how I've been transporting my kayaks for years. Even though there isn't even a solid roof rack and a short roof line, the straps going through the windows ensured that there's no way that boat is coming of at hwy speeds.

This is my pride n joy now and I would be devastated if it went airborne - and so would the car behind me...

Old 08-28-2012, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phrancis

So my question is: is there the possibility of mounting the front Inno bar forward closer to the Fit's A-pillar?
You'll have to try it, but I've found the towers and clamps are very sensitive to setup loction, e.g., just a small change in distance between the rubber foot and the end of the clamp can make a difference whether it clamps properly or not.

More important, I would rig up a bow tie down. If you reach through the grill below the license plate, you can find a reinforcing plate at the back of the steel bumper bar that you can thread a rope or strap through.

Nice kayak!

Old 08-28-2012, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ultrawolf
I just got back from an east coast trip which was the first time since last year that my Fit was used to haul two big 16 foot kayaks stored there. I thought I would post a couple of pictures showing how these big, heavy boats look on the Fit. I'm guessing these kayaks weigh around 65 lbs each, so I'm exceeding the rated load capacity of my Inno rack (88 lbs). So far, with careful loading and driving, I've had no problems with this setup. The front and rear tie downs are a must - see my earlier post in this thread for a description of how I chose to configure the tie downs.

Ultrawolf, this is off topic, but I compliment you on your pictures. Especially the last one. It could be used in a Honda ad.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Can Thule racks be put on if you have Window visors?

Old 08-28-2012, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rampo
Ultrawolf, this is off topic, but I compliment you on your pictures. Especially the last one. It could be used in a Honda ad.
Except for the guy in the background who looks like he's pee'ing on his kid!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ultrawolf
Except for the guy in the background who looks like he's pee'ing on his kid!
I was gonna say the same thing, but didn't want to offend if that was you peeing or someone you knew...

I'll try on the placement of the front clip when the rack gets here, but I doubt I can move it. I just get an email from ORS Racks saying that the Inno would give me a 27.5" spread, the Thule 480 a 29.25" spread, and the Yakima a 30" sperad, but I've heard too many complaints of the yakima foot pads denting the Fit's roof easily. The rep said they were all engineered specifically and had to be placed in exact points on the roofline. Yeah, bow lines will be a must on such a short car...

Old 08-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Banned
This would solve the "hobby horse" issue, especially with the addition of Monroe Air Shocks. I use this conbination quite often with long, heavy loads and Fit handling is almost completely unaffected.

MAGIC!! Change Fitz into Trux - Honda Fit Forums

In the OP, the links for the load extender bars are now dead, but you can find the same hardware here:

Amazon Amazon

To KCTitan- of course Thule and Yakima racks can be used on Fits with widow visors. The racks clamp to the underside of the door frames, not to the windows.

Last edited by Triskelion; 08-28-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
This would solve the "hobby horse" issue, especially with the addition of Monroe Air Shocks. I use this conbination quite often with long, heavy loads and Fit handling is almost completely unaffected.

MAGIC!! Change Fitz into Trux - Honda Fit Forums

In the OP, the links for the load extender bars are now dead, but you can find the same hardware here:

Extend-A-Truck 944 Truck Bed Extender : Amazon.com : Automotive
I've actually used on of those extender bars that attaches to a trailer hitch. This one fits a 1 1/4 inch receiver, which is what all of the Fit trailer hitches have:

Weston Gear Universal One - Man Canoe Loader: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors Weston Gear Universal One - Man Canoe Loader: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

Here's a home-made version I used to haul a big ladder. It's made from PVC pipe:

Old 08-29-2012, 10:56 AM
ultra, any pics you can post for your DIY PVC upright assembly??

Old 08-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Triskelion
To KCTitan- of course Thule and Yakima racks can be used on Fits with widow visors. The racks clamp to the underside of the door frames, not to the windows.
Thanks for the reply. But really I feel like an idiot for not actually thinking that one through haha!

Old 08-29-2012, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by craneeye
ultra, any pics you can post for your DIY PVC upright assembly??
Sorry, but I never took a better picture. It was a one-time thing to haul the ladder 800 miles. The basic setup was:
  • The car had a trailer hitch with a regular draw bar and hitch ball.
  • The PVC fit over the hitch ball.
  • At the top, I cut a notch in the PVC to cradle one of the ladder rungs.
  • A webbing strap was looped over the ladder rung, spiraled around the PVC, and then under the hitch ball to pull the ladder downward (you can just see the yellow strap in the picture).
It was only meant to support up and down loads. The roof bars had to handle any side loading.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:36 PM
ultra,
thanks for the description. Good job for in a pinch.
I have a cargo carrier I use a lot, I may try and work off of that.
PVC, inexpensive and strong.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Tie Downs

mjordansav - you sent me a PM asking about my bow and stern tie downs. But unfortunately, the forum controls say that you are not accepting emails - maybe you need to enable emails in your profile.

Anyway, I described my tie downs along with some photos on the first page of this thread, so just scroll down and look for posts by me.

Quick Reply: Fit for kayaks