General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

My Mileage Is Going Down. Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Its not unusual, especially with the gas supply limitations. The refiners change the recipe for gasoline (gas has dozens of chemical components with 'typical' similar to octane, C8H18 , but a lot of other organics besides the additives) to get the most out of every barrel of crude. The result is changes in the energy content of the gas. It may vary from 110.000 to 118,000 btu per lb of combustion.
Naturally the lower the energy content the lower gas mileage. It does occur more often in winter...
This makes sense because igniting cold air and cold fuel will detonate slower than igniting warm air and warm fuel. I'm no chemist, but I know for sure that for any chemical combustion to happen, a flash point temperature must be reached. So if the temperature of fuel is too low, the spark plugs have to work harder to detonate the fuel. Also, high octane is known for delaying detonation so also take that into consideration during the cold weather that it will most likely change the engine's timing characteristics.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:43 AM
5 Year Member
The Honda service dapartment overfilled my car with motor oil. I'm thinking that this could be the reason for my drop in mileage.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ephnit
The Honda service dapartment overfilled my car with motor oil. I'm thinking that this could be the reason for my drop in mileage.

Yes, it could. Depending on how much extra oil was added the hp required to pump air from one cylinderto the next increases as the difference between the oil level and the side of the cylinder wall decreases.
Thats why in economy runs oil level is reduced by half a quart ... ; thety can get away with it because there is lower chances of generating high cornering loads that would cause the oil to flow away from the pump intake and starve the pump for oil.
And no, its not a good idea for the way most of us drive.

Now worse news, if enough extra oil was added there could be contact between the bottoms of pistons and the oil level and that is far more serious as connecting rod and crankshaft bolts can be damaged. If the level was 1/2" above normal you could have that condition.