General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Anyone using a hydrogen generator yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Anyone using a hydrogen generator yet?

I was just curious if anyone on here has tried installing an HHO generator unit in thier fit. I have seen claims of people going from 14mpg-30+mpg after installing a 1LPM-2LPM unit. I have a lot of spare time on my hands but do not have a complete listing of all the parts needed or I would have made probably 3 of these units. All you have to do is add WATER to your car and it generates HYDROGEN which boosts fuel mileage anywhere from 33%-150% depending on your baseline.

If anyone has done one I would be very interested in checking your setup and what type of mileage gains you have achieved.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Don't know anything about that but I can achieve that with the FIT STOCK.

Hypermile FTW!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Good luck.

Converting water to hydrogen and oxygen requires energy. If you can get more energy out of this process than you have to put in to do it, then you, my friend, have invented a perpetual motion machine and will get promptly arrested for breaking the laws of physics.

Save your money for a mod that will do something.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:29 PM
I heard and read that these machines work great for carburetored vehicles vs fuel injected.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 PM
CBX
I am still trying to decide whether my power source should tap a flux capacitor, or dilithium crystals.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:05 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
there are pretty efficient units that have low draw and high output. I have been lookin around a lot and i have seen civic 1.6 liters go from 35-60mpg, accord from 28-40+. Looking at the systems some people have simple setups, and some have crazy ones. Hydrogen is going to be the next major fuel source, but the way it aids regular gas engines is insane. I was reading up on some auto x-prize cars and they are using fuel vapor injectors in a glorified CRX getting 90mpg.

plus the ronn motorsports scorpion runs a turbo TL-S motor with on-board hydrogen generator and achieves 450hp at 40+mpg. The technology is out there. If someone combined the vapor injection and hydrogen you could probably break the 100mpg mark on that same CRX

Old 11-26-2008, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
I am looking into making one also. I saw a physical science teacher who was an 80 year old fire bug use the same process to separate oxygen and hydrogen from water and was very impressed. She kind of over did it with the size of the inverted beaker and set her sleeve on fire. I've read that it works best if using a very small percentage of food grade Hydrogen Peroxide which is purchased in gallon containers and is 35% H2O2. The power drain on the electrical system is less than that of the parking lights. To get the most out of the system you would need to be able to advance the timing and the only inexpensive way to do that on the Fit, is something that I won't mention on this forum.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I am gonna talk to my uncle during thanksgiving as he is a product designer for bike, snowboard, shoe manufacturers, and has all the cad programs and stuff because I want to make a decent sized unit that will fit in the fenderwell behind the fog lamps and on my accord make one I can have bolt on where the factory resonator on the intake was, and then direct inject it into my intake hose, where even a smog tech would never even notice. I'm in cali so even with ULEV or SULEV any mods without a CARB sticker count as tampering. I'm tryin to figure if a Dry cell is the way to go or to use the fluid chamber method. readin up on hho forums

Old 11-27-2008, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
I will be watching the activity on this thread and am happy to know that someone is open minded enough to take an interest in simple "green" technology. Even if you build one of these and eliminate the generating plates, you will have an alcohol/water vapor injector that will lower intake temperature and allow the use of lower octane fuel or a more advanced timing adjustment for improved efficiency and power.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by winkydink
Good luck.

Converting water to hydrogen and oxygen requires energy. If you can get more energy out of this process than you have to put in to do it, then you, my friend, have invented a perpetual motion machine and will get promptly arrested for breaking the laws of physics.

Save your money for a mod that will do something.

This is exactly right, you use more then you get back so the final result is not a gain of any kind.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
That would be true if it were a higher draw. It uses the excess energy created from the alternator kinda like a turbo used exhaust kinetic energy otherwise just going out the exhaust. Even if you are using no accessories or lights your alternator is spinning and generating electricity, usually more than your system is producing, and more than even the battery can store. Its about efficiencies of the generator. And you need a flash suppressor to prevent backfire. Tons of people are getting results, and they are typically bigger on carburated cars because they don't have fuel computers, but if you wire the memory switch of the ECU to the ignition it resets itself every time you drive, which works well on moderate to heavily modded cars with OBD2. If I do make one I'm trying it out on my old datsun before I try to make it for the fit or accord.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Well I would suppose that what was witnessed in the class room in 1965 was a magic trick or act of GOD. Miss Eunice Tilley was able to create one hell of a flame that shot out of an eight ounce beaker with what was known as "Brown's Gas" using a six volt dry cell carbon battery. We aren't talking about the production of compressed hydrogen for fuel cell vehicles.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope
I am gonna talk to my uncle during thanksgiving as he is a product designer for bike, snowboard, shoe manufacturers, and has all the cad programs and stuff because I want to make a decent sized unit that will fit in the fenderwell behind the fog lamps and on my accord make one I can have bolt on where the factory resonator on the intake was, and then direct inject it into my intake hose, where even a smog tech would never even notice. I'm in cali so even with ULEV or SULEV any mods without a CARB sticker count as tampering. I'm tryin to figure if a Dry cell is the way to go or to use the fluid chamber method. readin up on hho forums
The backfire thing sounds real good to me. Now I know I want it, along with some moon disk wheel covers and fender skirts. Have you seen any plans that are more desirable than others and if so in what ways?

Old 11-27-2008, 03:13 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
You plannin on runnin salt flats with those moon discs?

Even I/H/E gets you a whoppin 5-8hp on a fit, I am checkin it out for mileage reasons, not HP gains. You aren't gonna get any real HP in the fit with an L15, even with boost. Kswap is only real power option. I got the fit to drive the wheels off of as a commute car, just thinkin of trying something GREEN to extend mileage. Im in norcal, I have seen crazy electric cars, plenty of hippie Bio-Diesel around here, pretty sure its like the green capital of the world, and not just buds, but also sustainable technology. Its like a big kid science experiment.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
No but I had a 72 Cadillac Hearse with the a set on it. I put some snap on stainless ones on an 82 Rabbit diesel and they do clean up the wheel rotational turbulence. The old Rabbit would consistently get 54.7 just by driving he old 55 MPH limit. Nothing but smoke belching pickups and rednecks. What kind of scooter ?

Old 11-27-2008, 04:08 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
scooter? huh?

Old 11-27-2008, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
I was just curious if anyone on here has tried installing an HHO generator unit in thier fit. I have seen claims of people going from 14mpg-30+mpg after installing a 1LPM-2LPM unit. I have a lot of spare time on my hands but do not have a complete listing of all the parts needed or I would have made probably 3 of these units. All you have to do is add WATER to your car and it generates HYDROGEN which boosts fuel mileage anywhere from 33%-150% depending on your baseline.

If anyone has done one I would be very interested in checking your setup and what type of mileage gains you have achieved.

Troops, pay attention: this a scam.
The energy to separate hydrogen from oxygen in a water molecule is much greater than the added combustion of hydrogen with oxygen to form water.

One of the locals 'bought' the ad and came to us to install it correctly cause it didn't seem to do much. He had installed it correctly but it didn't do anything for us either. (though only a single test, the HHO unit got less mpg than stock.) He just didn't know the laws of chemistry doesn't let you make gold out of lead. You won't be arrested for it but your wallet will. Wonder if these guys are decendants of the Fish carburetor folks?

Last edited by mahout; 11-27-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
What do you mean he bought it, usually you have to make them. I dunno of any commercially available units. The first one I have heard that will be making to to market is the RonnMotor.com unit same one used in the Scorpion Supercar. Otherwise people are just payin hella money for 20 bux of PVC pipe and fittings and tubes. On the HHO boards they say optimal units put out 1.5-2.0LPM of hydrogen if it's actually gonna help mileage. If its under that you are just wasting juice

Old 11-27-2008, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
What do you mean he bought it, usually you have to make them. I dunno of any commercially available units. The first one I have heard that will be making to to market is the RonnMotor.com unit same one used in the Scorpion Supercar. Otherwise people are just payin hella money for 20 bux of PVC pipe and fittings and tubes. On the HHO boards they say optimal units put out 1.5-2.0LPM of hydrogen if it's actually gonna help mileage. If its under that you are just wasting juice

First, there are several sires offering everything from plans to reassembled units. And every one has posts looking for proof and none are posted.
Don't know who it was bought from, he just said he bought it. Doesn't matter. i.5 to 2 liters per minute of hydrogen from water requires 140 watt-hours of electrical energy to free 28.3 liters of hydrogen at 20 degrees centigrade, or 4.94 watt-hours per liter. And thats with the most efficient electrolytic cells. You'd have to consume .4 amps at 12v for an hour to get one liter of hydrogen that you use in one half-minute. Worse, the heat of combustion of hydrogen is 51k BTU per lb and a liter of hydrogen produces only 1800 Btu, or about the same as a tenth of a gallon of gasoline. Hydogen is very light and there's not much in a liter.

Its a scam.

Last edited by mahout; 11-27-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Its a scam.
Not only is it a scam, it's been around forever. A friend of mine tried this on his then-new 77 Mustang II. It didn't do squat. Of course, he was using 20th century hydrogen. I hear the new and improved 21st century hydrogen is much better.

Quick Reply: Anyone using a hydrogen generator yet?