General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Anyone using a hydrogen generator yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Like dsm has stated this would require a beefy set up to have any practicality. I think it could be done, but not with the magic boxes sold on ebay. These units make huge claims, but I never seen anyone prove they work.

hydrogen is a great topic. This will be the fuel of the future. It can be made using solar panels in our backyards. We could potentially, if we had the cars make our own fuel.

2009 funding was reduced for the development of hydrogen vehicles.
seventy percent of the elemental mass of the universe is made up of hydrogen and we develop batteries. I hope Honda continues to advance the development of hydrogen vehicles and doesn't scratch the project.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:26 PM
If it was as simple as anyone on this board thinks Chrysler wouldn't have failed (or gave up) and Honda would have more versions of it out. But is is EXTREMELY expensive to make anything like this work on a production scale so a smaller scale would be even more expensive and probably unsafe.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:45 AM
be careful

Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope
there are pretty efficient units that have low draw and high output. I have been lookin around a lot and i have seen civic 1.6 liters go from 35-60mpg, accord from 28-40+. Looking at the systems some people have simple setups, and some have crazy ones. Hydrogen is going to be the next major fuel source, but the way it aids regular gas engines is insane. I was reading up on some auto x-prize cars and they are using fuel vapor injectors in a glorified CRX getting 90mpg.

plus the ronn motorsports scorpion runs a turbo TL-S motor with on-board hydrogen generator and achieves 450hp at 40+mpg. The technology is out there. If someone combined the vapor injection and hydrogen you could probably break the 100mpg mark on that same CRX
give it time they'll slap a tax on water cause the government always wants they're cut lol so keep it to yourself

Old 08-27-2011, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Beefy? Expensive? It simply requires more energy to produce hydrogen using any method than would be gained burning it. TANSTAAFL applies to physics and chemistry too. Go ask your high school teachers.

Sometimes I wonder about the intelligence of Fit owners...

Old 08-27-2011, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Beefy? Expensive? It simply requires more energy to produce hydrogen using any method than would be gained burning it. TANSTAAFL applies to physics and chemistry too. Go ask your high school teachers.

Sometimes I wonder about the intelligence of Fit owners...

Then there's them 'lectric superchargers.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope
... It uses the excess energy created from the alternator kinda like a turbo used exhaust kinetic energy otherwise just going out the exhaust. Even if you are using no accessories or lights your alternator is spinning and generating electricity, usually more than your system is producing, and more than even the battery can store...
It doesn't work that way. The more power you take from the alternator, the harder it is to turn, so the engine uses more fuel.

Personally, I put bigger tires on the back so the car is always going downhill.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Angry

Originally Posted by georget99
It doesn't work that way. The more power you take from the alternator, the harder it is to turn, so the engine uses more fuel.

Poor boys of the 1960s torched the front springs or cut pieces of of 2"x4" pine to wedge between the leaf rear springs and frame to get the downhill effect... It really sucked when one of the boards would come loose..

Old 09-03-2011, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by georget99

holy shit i haven't laughted that hard in months - thanks dude!
i might have to try this - lol JK