coming out to visit

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 11:36 PM
coming out to visit

Flying in to Honolulu to visit my sister. She mentioned I'd only need flip flops or sandals as sand gets into everything. Can any of you refer an inexpensive but quality fish place to eat. She was telling me how expensive it is there if they have to shop off base. I love fresh water fish, so I am sure I am going to love what ever they serve. Also, please advise any places to stay away from. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
Aloha Jay, Well, if your coming here to find fresh water fish to eat then you might be a little hard-pressed to find that there is little if any fresh water fish joints here However, there is a large variety of fresh "salt" water fish here being that we are in the middle of the pac ocean. You probably enjoy and I'm assuming deep fried fish? Mahi Mahi, Papio, menpachi and several others are all excellent fish that you can find here that tastes similar to fresh water fish when fried. But, I think you'll find that most fish here is eaten raw...yep good ole' pok'e. Try your hand at that.. you might luv it too!

Old 08-30-2011, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
yeah flip flips is cool, but maybe bring a pair of sneakers just in case you're caught in the rain because the weather has been on and off the past 2 days.

as for places to eat...........

you gotta go to "Ono Seafoods" on Kapahulu Ave., its near Waikiki, so it might kind of a drive depending where your sister lives. But that shouldn't stop you lol. You can Google or Yelp the place for directions or a map. The fish there is soooo good. They serve raw fish mixed with different ingredients/sauces called "poke" (poh-keh) over white/brown rice. The quality of the fish is tops! nice and soft...

Avoid Zippy's, its popular among locals but, there are better gems out there. Zippy's is kind of a last resort especially if you're out late and/or drunk.

Also, avoid Boot's and Kimo's. Its overrated and YOU WILL WAIT FOREVER, unless you go there right when they open. But you can get a better breakfast somewhere else...

Liliha Bakery is a great place to go for breakfast and dessert, and theyre open 24 hours except monday. This place has gained popularity so finding a seat (to dine in) during rush hour might be tough.

thats just scratching the surface... I'll let you know more after some homework.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jayhawker
Flying in to Honolulu to visit my sister. She mentioned I'd only need flip flops or sandals as sand gets into everything. Can any of you refer an inexpensive but quality fish place to eat. She was telling me how expensive it is there if they have to shop off base. I love fresh water fish, so I am sure I am going to love what ever they serve. Also, please advise any places to stay away from. Thanks.
Like Vinny said, there isn’t much freshwater fish commercially available or being served at restaurants. We have mostly seafood. If like seafood, for about 10-13 bucks, go to Monarch Seafood in Kalihi. This is where the locals go to eat lunch. I would recommend the crab-stuffed ahi with nori and if you want to be adventurous, try some poke (raw fish or tako). This place has good reviews in Yelp.

Places not to go: the leeward side comes to mind … especially if you are going there with aloha shirt and camera around your neck … and you are white. The beaches at the leeward side are beautiful, as long as you ignore the homeless tents.

Hope you enjoy your visit.