General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Should I get wheel locks on Fit Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by tubegeek
My wheels & tires were indeed stolen, despite the factory wheel locks. However, I did get another set put on when they were replaced. Was I a sucker? Dunno. I can't really say I bought any peace of mind with the new locks . . . .

That really sucks bro. My theory is to go with aftermarket locks. If the thief has a method for the OEM locks, it might at least force him to go to step 2 instead of knowing the brand from the start. The extra work might be all I need to save the wheels. I wonder if there is some sort of set of masters that someone could get form a Honda tech/mech?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
Do it. Locks are better than no locks.
well said. i have locks on my fit, love them.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:30 AM
I went ahead and bought the wheel locks, i say if there going to get jacked there going to get jacked, but atleast it will take them slightly longer and it will also give the thieves more of a chance of getting caught. I got mine for about $24.00, i think it was well spent... just MO though.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by jenhonski
I've never had wheel locks before and don't know much about them. Could you guys answer my questions?

1. I've read and heard even semi-talented thieves can get wheel locks off fairly easy, and they are not much of a deterrent to theft. They slow thief down is all. If so, should I save money and not get them?

2. Say I get locks. When I get my Fit serviced at Honda (e.g., tire rotation), do I have to bring my wheel lock device thingy or will Honda have one they can use to unlock my wheels?

3. Say I get locks. If I get new tires (e.g., Discount Tire), I would have to bring my wheel lock thingy and give it to Discount Tire so they can change the tires, right?

Any advice on the practicality of whether to get wheel locks or not would be much appreciated. Thanks.

just get em better safe then sorry, people starting to like fit rims & are stealing them

Old 03-18-2009, 08:29 AM
/agree, i think they are really worth it...

Old 05-18-2009, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Angry Rim thieves suck.

My (stock) rims/wheels were stolen 2 days ago. (I'll post some pics later.) There is no more depressing feeling than looking at your Fit, that you've put time and $$ into and just going "WTF"?

My lovely police department was so concerned, they didn't even come and look...they took the report over the PHONE! (Glad to see my tax dollars being put to good use.)

The preliminary estimate is that the thieves did over $3000.00 worth of damage to my car, dented the undercarriage, the whole nine yards.

Sorry, just venting. I know a lot of you have been through this.

(And, to top it off, my rental car is a Toyota RAV4, which feels like a huge boat after driving the Fit! ha ha)

I'm sure I'll have more questions about locks and things as this progresses, just wanted to tell the thieves that they suck!

Old 05-20-2009, 05:06 PM
@ my profile pic.... not my car tho but did happened to an owner on here

Old 05-20-2009, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Get em. One can get them off fairly easily, but it's good for those people who don't want or dont know how to deal with it.

I once had 3 sets of wheel locks on my s2k. I'm sure someone thought about stealing the wheels - probably saw the 3 different wheel locks and thought "F**K THAT" haha - in reality though, if they want it, they'll take it.

on a side note - I guess I got my wheel locks for free? When I took delivery and went to put the manual in the glove box, I found the key w/ the OEM lugs. Yay for me!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Just thought I would post a pic of my poor Fit after it's attack. Looks positively pitiful.

And yes, those are milk crates that they used to prop the car up on. Not only thieves, but cheap thieves!

Old 05-21-2009, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Question The aftermath of thievery --need strong locks!

Now my questions start: stock locks seem to pose no deterrant to the thieves. So, I am open for your suggestions on the strongest locks possible. I know that thieves will get me if they are determined enough, but I at least want to make them work for my tires.

What does the FitFreak community recommend? What have you had good luck with?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Stadol
Just thought I would post a pic of my poor Fit after it's attack. Looks positively pitiful.
Can't see the photo.

Did it happen at night? Seems like it always happens when parked somewhere overnight.

I worry about my Fit especially because it's a replacement for my 95' Civic that was stolen. Had no idea when I bought my Fit that the wheels would be so popular with thieves.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
I bought the Gorilla locks (8432N) the set of 20, I put 3 on each wheel, and left on the 1 Honda lock as well. I figure with 4 locks on each wheel, they will have to work a little to get them off, as well as take more time.

I will post pics next week sometime.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Trust me they are a good investment....I got my wheels stolen like tow weeks after i got my car but now i have hooda wheel locks on and haven't had a problem yet..."knock on wood"..i have an extra aftermarket set ill give it to u for $20 shipped? they are black.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:13 PM
WHEEL locks are a good deterant... will deter much thieves..

but if someone wants your wheels bad enough they will go after for it. theres nothing you can do. unless you get some really sensitive alarm that will page you every time someone tries to do something to your car.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Wheel locks? Worth the peace of mind

Speaking as someone who's sitting at home, waiting for a tow truck to come tow my car because someone stole all four of my Fit tires, I'll be getting wheel locks. I was told by the police that Hondas are notorious for having parts stolen, so it seems like $30 is worth the added peace of mind, even if the simply act as theft deterrents. I didn't even have nice rims--just standard issue factory tires. And it'll cost me a lot more than $30 to get them replaced...

Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
the sad part about factory wheel locks on GE wheels is that you can actually grab it with a channel-lock as it protrudes far out of the hole and even crack it loose.

not only that, it' only takes a socket and a mallet to get ahold of the lock and turn it out. tire shops also have special easy-out kind of tool as well. for this, wheel locks are imho useless and a false sense of security. it's like those stupid chain locks you put on your front door at home where you can partially open the door and falsely think that little chain's going to stop an intruder. hahaha.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
Let's face it, a determined thief will get what he/ she is after, but not many want to risk getting caught and messing around with mallets and channel lock pliers in front of potential witnesses.

The whole idea is to get them to go elsewhere, to an easier target. I thought the locks might be a false sense of security, but now I've come to terms that all they are is a delaying factor and an annoyance to the thief.

I contacted Bernardi Honda and purchased the factory Honda locks. They shipped immediately for the best price I've found anywhere else. I will probably get a different set of locks (Gorilla, etc) to add as a secondary protective measure. If they see that, they may just go to the next car.

If they don't, I'll rely on the old standby .... 1911

Update: I just received the OEM Honda locks today and I can't see how anyone would be able to grab them with channel locks. They barely come out beyond the wheel lug opening. You would destroy the finish on the wheel trying to remove the OEM lugs, defeating the purpose of stealing them. I originally tried the Gorilla locks with the rotating sleeve and they were 1.50" in length which was way too long. Returned those and will probably buy these for my second set ... 38431N

Last edited by XJP5; 04-29-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Don't get the Honda OEM lock... search the forums. there is consensus that the Gorilla lock is a better more secure option.

I have them on both my Fit and CR-V. Love them, and they do NOT protrude, so seem much harder to defeat than the factory locks.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback. That's not a bad idea to get two different types of locks. I live in eastern PA and (after spending all day reading other people's Fit-tire-stolen stories) apparently it's a bad problem here. I also live in an apartment complex and can't lock up my car at night. Any good alarms out there that would go off if the vehicle is shaken or moved? That seems worth investing in too.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by emilyFitSport
Thanks for the feedback. That's not a bad idea to get two different types of locks. I live in eastern PA and (after spending all day reading other people's Fit-tire-stolen stories) apparently it's a bad problem here. I also live in an apartment complex and can't lock up my car at night. Any good alarms out there that would go off if the vehicle is shaken or moved? That seems worth investing in too.
where are you in pa?

i'm in pottstown and our wheels were stolen, and we've heard several other cases in the area... just curious...

Quick Reply: Should I get wheel locks on Fit Sport?