General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Body Side Molding -- Show Me Yours

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Body Side Molding -- Show Me Yours

I bought my 2009 Milano Red Fit Sport on Monday. Less than 24 hours later, I got a nice chip in the door paint in a parking lot. So I'm going to order some body side molding. I'm considering either the matching Milano Red side molding, or getting it in Taffeta White or Black to have a contrasting look. Not sure if that would look weird or not though.

If you've got body side molding on your Fit (Milano Red or not) that is not the same color as your car please post photos -- I'd like to see how it looks before I order something. Thanks!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
i dont have molding... but i'd color match, molding thats a diff color will just look ricey... but great choise on color!

Old 01-02-2009, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
After reading about all these dings, dents, etc in parking lots, it seems that the body side molding is a must.

I will be getting the same color, but I'm still debating the black w/ chrome trim strip offered by zetaproducts ---> Universal Body Side Molding - TRK214-02-DEI

I was thinking of some chrome accents/highlights on my black Fit, but still havent decided, so I think I'm gonna stick with a darkened look, until I figure out if I really want those chrome highlights.

Body side molding = win (imo) to help save some dents.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Firebat666
i dont have molding... but i'd color match, molding thats a diff color will just look ricey... but great choise on color!
Thanks for the suggestion -- yeah maybe it will look a little weird having a body side molding other than red or black. *shrug*

Old 01-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by FitStir
After reading about all these dings, dents, etc in parking lots, it seems that the body side molding is a must.

I will be getting the same color, but I'm still debating the black w/ chrome trim strip offered by zetaproducts ---> Universal Body Side Molding - TRK214-02-DEI

I was thinking of some chrome accents/highlights on my black Fit, but still havent decided, so I think I'm gonna stick with a darkened look, until I figure out if I really want those chrome highlights.

Body side molding = win (imo) to help save some dents.
Are you referring to a lot of Fits getting dings in parking lots, or just cars in general? My 13-year-old Saturn has had some dings over the years, but not as bad as the one I just got on day #1 with my Fit! *grrr* Maybe the paint just sticks better to plastic cars!

Please post the pix of your black-and-chrome accents when you get your car!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by metametagirl
Are you referring to a lot of Fits getting dings in parking lots, or just cars in general?
In general. It seems like our little Fits are magnets to other cars. People just love denting, bumping or crashing in to our Fits.

Please post the pix of your black-and-chrome accents when you get your car!
After some long thought, I've decided to put off the idea of adding chrome. I was really going for that Benz type luxury look, with a chrome hatch garnish, and some of the side molding from zeta, maybe the front grill, but I'm not sure I can keep it clean enough in order to make it look decent. After some recent snow, I see those chrome accents can look quite grimy on cars especially the dark cars.

I will be installing the OEM Honda side molding, and I will be going with the same color of the car, black on black.

But I still kind of like the chrome highlight look.

The Honda rear garnish. HONDA|HONDA Access|FIT|Exterior

The Zeta side molding with chrome highlight. (not completely installed in pic yet)

I don't think the JDM grill would fit on ou USDM cars, but I'm sure some company will make one, or something similiar that will fit in the future.

I was even thinking of the door handle protectors in chrome

Also the rear bumper cover.

They also make the door sill covers in a chrome color. But I think all these chrome highlights might make my Fit look ricey.

But if this happens it will be in the future, for now I will stay with same color side molding.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah google Zeta products, pretty sure they make one for the GE. I have the original molding. A few months after I got mine, they came out with wide style like I AM RAY has, and which I might get.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
Yeah google Zeta products, pretty sure they make one for the GE. I have the original molding. A few months after I got mine, they came out with wide style like I AM RAY has, and which I might get.
The wide style zeta's are a bit wider and flatter, I believe. The one that I AM RAY has are the OEM GD Mouldings from Europe/Asia. Damn him!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Zeta Door Molding...

I bought my 2009 Milano Red Fit Sport on Monday. Less than 24 hours later, I got a nice chip in the door paint in a parking lot. So I'm going to order some body side molding. I'm considering either the matching Milano Red side molding, or getting it in Taffeta White or Black to have a contrasting look. Not sure if that would look weird or not though.

If you've got body side molding on your Fit (Milano Red or not) that is not the same color as your car please post photos -- I'd like to see how it looks before I order something. Thanks!
Hey metametagirl,
Here is an option for you:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/zeta...tml#post407938
I have had no problems with this product since install. FYI, the color matched perfectly in SSM and BOM from what I've seen.
Oh, BTW, I had a ding on my passenger door, but the molding was wide enough that it actually covered the problem area. Got two problems solved at the same time.
-macbuddy-

Old 01-09-2009, 01:19 AM
In general. It seems like our little Fits are magnets to other cars. People just love denting, bumping or crashing in to our Fits.
Ah, I hadn't noticed a lot of Fits with dings and dents. That sucks. I guess that is how mine got dinged. I went back to the places I parked on that day -- the lot that was more crowded has super-wide parking spaces, so it would be a stretch for someone to do any damage. The other lot was nearly deserted and I don't remember any cars being near mine. So who knows how it happened!

But if this happens it will be in the future, for now I will stay with same color side molding.
I think the chrome accents look cool, it doesn't look ricey to me! I think it would look good on your black car -- not so much on a red like mine, but that's just my opinion.

I've been noticing a lot of cars lately with the body side molding (both Fits and non-Fits). I never paid attention to this feature in the past since my old car didn't have it. I'm not convinced that it actually does anything -- I see a lot of cars with dings and dents all over the door even if they do have the body side molding on it.

Ironically, my car came with free door edge guards, but I'm pretty careful about what I open my door into in the first place.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by macbuddy
Hey metametagirl,
Here is an option for you:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/zeta...tml#post407938
I have had no problems with this product since install.
Hi macbuddy,
Thanks for the link! I personally think the narrow side molding looks better (or no molding), but obviously this one is much more practical. Was it hard to install? I'd be worried about sticking it on crooked or something.

Ideally I'd just get it painted, but I don't know how much that costs, and of course knowing my luck the following day I'd probably get dinged again.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

I think the chrome accents look cool, it doesn't look ricey to me! I think it would look good on your black car -- not so much on a red like mine, but that's just my opinion.
Thanks for your opinion. My gf likes them too, so now I'm confused again. Not sure if I should buy them or not. I think I will buy both the chrome and OEM (same color-black) and whatever I don't install I just sell.

Some one has the rear chrome garnish installed on a Milano Red Fit and I think it looks real nice.

How do you think the door handle protectors will look on a black Fit?
Any others with opinions on this also?

Can anyone with some Photoshop skills photoshop the above pic to show the car black, and keep the door handle protectors the same color for a visual? That would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
crappy photoshop in black:

Old 01-09-2009, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fit4Pits

Thanks, but I cant the see pic, it could be my job's computers blocking it out though. I will check again later.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
The install itself was not difficult...

Hi macbuddy,
Thanks for the link! I personally think the narrow side molding looks better (or no molding), but obviously this one is much more practical. Was it hard to install? I'd be worried about sticking it on crooked or something.

Ideally I'd just get it painted, but I don't know how much that costs, and of course knowing my luck the following day I'd probably get dinged again.
metametagirl,
The install itself was not difficult. Getting up the nerve to apply the first piece was the hardest part. I guess you just have to trust that you've first measured everything correctly. BTW, I did drop one piece during the install. Luckily it landed with the adhesive side up.
I posted my install in this thread, "NEW Side Moldings from Zeta Products!!!!! DIY w/photos."
Here is my contribution to the install:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post382455
This is the link to the entire post:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-w-photos.html
-macbuddy-

Old 01-10-2009, 06:47 PM

Hi Meta, I have a 09 Milano Red sport. Was originally gonna go with the wide side moldings, but ended up getting the narrower ones from Collegehills in the same color as my car. I'm happy with the look and they were easy to put on. They fit the lines of the car really well. Blend in.

And afford a bit less stress when shopping. (can't buy everything online)

Old 01-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Fitster, there was a time when all the trim was chrome, and everyone wanted black. Blackout tape and spray paint and add-ons were employed for the blackout look. Now that auto makers caught up with the blackout trend from ages ago, people are back to wanting chrome. LOL!

This place shows chrome pillar posts for the FIT:
Chrome Pillar Post

There's a very fine line between "classy" and "cheesy". I like the rear garnish. But I do NOT like the bumper trim with the car name on it. It smacks of "cheap add-on". I always thought it was kind of dumb to buy heavy chromed license plate frames with the car name on it, when the car name is usually clearly indicated on the back of the car anyway. It's like those girls that bulk up on the designer label items. One is good, but did you really need the bag, with the matching scarf, gloves, hat, coat lining, shoes, belt???

But there is one thing I have not seen, yet. Instead of adding on all these little parts, how about doing something big? Have your front grille chromed.

I would not do the lower portion, just the upper grill. Not in billet or mesh, but the original grille with it's nice wavy lines. Against black, it's quite stunning, the chrome, and it would be a little like the one here:
Buy Billet & Mesh Grilles | 2006-2008 Honda Pilot Custom Billet & Mesh Grilles

Without the surround chrome, of course. It looks very nice with just a touch of shine, without being gaudy or tacky.

Examples of accented, but not gaudy, vehicles, the MB Maybach and the Audi S5:
World Auto News & Reviews 2007 October

Tiny accents of chrome. That looks sharp! Clean! And if you could get those trim pieces to fit, around the grille, that would be nice too:
Honda Fit Luxe'ster, Honda Fit Luxe'ster at 2008 Tokyo Auto Salon | RevMods

Notice the difference here between chrome and no chrome:
Dodge Accessories - Ram Chrome Grille Overlay

Old 01-12-2009, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Fitster, there was a time when all the trim was chrome, and everyone wanted black. Blackout tape and spray paint and add-ons were employed for the blackout look. Now that auto makers caught up with the blackout trend from ages ago, people are back to wanting chrome. LOL!
Yeah I remember. I used to hate the old style chrome. I do like how Benz and the like have brought it back minimally (in most cases), and made it look stylish.

There's a very fine line between "classy" and "cheesy". I like the rear garnish. But I do NOT like the bumper trim with the car name on it. It smacks of "cheap add-on". I always thought it was kind of dumb to buy heavy chromed license plate frames with the car name on it, when the car name is usually clearly indicated on the back of the car anyway. It's like those girls that bulk up on the designer label items. One is good, but did you really need the bag, with the matching scarf, gloves, hat, coat lining, shoes, belt???
I agree, which is why I don't want to over do it. Just a few things here and there.

But there is one thing I have not seen, yet. Instead of adding on all these little parts, how about doing something big? Have your front grille chromed.
I would not do the lower portion, just the upper grill. Not in billet or mesh, but the original grille with it's nice wavy lines. Against black, it's quite stunning, the chrome, and it would be a little like the one here:
Buy Billet & Mesh Grilles | 2006-2008 Honda Pilot Custom Billet & Mesh Grilles

Without the surround chrome, of course. It looks very nice with just a touch of shine, without being gaudy or tacky.
That's a thought, I think it might be a little too much to do the whole thing but maybe just a little. I'm going to wait on that to see what options are available.

I thank you very much for your opinions, and thoughts. +reps
Thats the look I was kind of going for that MB look, combined with that Fit Luxe'ster, glad to see you knew what I was thinking of. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Fit4Pits

It's not that crappy of a job, I appreciate the effort. I actually think it looks decent, it definitely gave me a really good idea of how it would look, and solidified my decision to get them. Thank You very much... +reps.

I've decided to do the rear garnish, door handle protectors, and eventually do something with the front grill, and maybe pillar posts.

I'm not going to do the chrome rear applique, or the chrome side molding.

sorry to thread jack metametagirl, gonna try and go back on topic again.
I will definitely stick with the OEM Honda same color side molding. Although I do like the wider side molding, and it would do a better job at protecting the door from dings and such, I think it might look too bulky, and for about the same price as the Honda ones I will stick with the original Honda body side molding. I already ordered them, and my car should be here next week, I will be sure to post up pics.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
FitStir, the perfect front accent would be the Sport Grille chromed for the front.
2009 Honda FIT Front Sport Grille

Not the whole thing. Just that "wing" that comes out from each side of the emblem. The same people that make the rear trim could make the front trim. Probably make plenty of money, as that would be a nice accent!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Yup, I was thinking the exact same thing, just want to see how the first round goes to see it's not overkill, then I will decide if I want to spend that much for the front grill. I like it cause its OEM too.

Quick Reply: Body Side Molding -- Show Me Yours