General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

ZAPP... Static Shock Hurts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:25 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Man my girlfriend screamed as she was getting shocked getting out of the Fit. Middle of a walmart parking lot. Had several people looking at me like 'What did you do to her?'

I just open the door as much as I need to, and close the door at the black plastic trim outside the door. But sometimes it still gets me.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
I have the all-season mats, but apparently it doesn't matter if it's rubber or carpet.

So the touching metal while getting out DOES indeed work. However, the static is still inside of you, so even if you avoid getting shocked by the Fit you'll still get shocked by a doorknob or something later on. For me, the worst was when I dropped off a DVD at Blockbuster. I got out of my car without touching the Fit, then reached for the metal drop box slot and got effed up!

Now what I do is get out of my car, then pull the plastic handle from the interior door panel to close the door. I don't even attempt to touch the outside of the car, lol.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
I thought it was my electric personality!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I have the all-season mats, but apparently it doesn't matter if it's rubber or carpet.

So the touching metal while getting out DOES indeed work. However, the static is still inside of you, so even if you avoid getting shocked by the Fit you'll still get shocked by a doorknob or something later on. For me, the worst was when I dropped off a DVD at Blockbuster. I got out of my car without touching the Fit, then reached for the metal drop box slot and got effed up!

Now what I do is get out of my car, then pull the plastic handle from the interior door panel to close the door. I don't even attempt to touch the outside of the car, lol.
HAHA. you should just wear gloves. Or you should just not touch anything all day after driving. But than you might explode in your sleep. Or maybe you'll become magneto

Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned
I foresee the day in the very near future where Honda will use this "Shocko Technology" for a good use. Honda will place Shocko Collection Pods in public areas, we simply walk over and the static is discharged from our body.

I have taken the domain name iShocko.com for this very outcome. I am awaiting a call back from Apple Corp. and Honda regarding some sort of mobile iShocko device which will collect the static discharge from these Honda Fits and basically save the world from any future energy needs.

I can give my PayPal account number if some of you want a part of this. Otherwise we simply harvest the static from you anyway. Hmmm maybe a device using a cell phone to do the harvesting, the wheels are turning.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kamakurakid
I foresee the day in the very near future where Honda will use this "Shocko Technology" for a good use. Honda will place Shocko Collection Pods in public areas, we simply walk over and the static is discharged from our body.

I have taken the domain name iShocko.com for this very outcome. I am awaiting a call back from Apple Corp. and Honda regarding some sort of mobile iShocko device which will collect the static discharge from these Honda Fits and basically save the world from any future energy needs.

I can give my PayPal account number if some of you want a part of this. Otherwise we simply harvest the static from you anyway. Hmmm maybe a device using a cell phone to do the harvesting, the wheels are turning.
^^good move :thumbs up:.. i read this article from digg.com, i forgot which company is doing it but they've developed technology that takes everything from body heat to movement and converts it into electricity that recharges your phone battery - pretty awesome stuff.

i'll develop a machine that converts the screams of children into useable clean energy! no wait... that's from Monster's Inc.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
HAHA. you should just wear gloves. Or you should just not touch anything all day after driving. But than you might explode in your sleep. Or maybe you'll become magneto
I thought Super Mario already wears gloves.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:40 AM
This reminds me of the family guy episode where peter gets his fuzzy pajamas and goes around shocking people. KNEEL BEFORE CHRIST!

Anyone....? Lmao

Old 01-24-2009, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
i had a static reducer installed on my car. definitely reduced/eliminated the static shock.

took it off, and i have the shocks again.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:27 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
This reminds me of the family guy episode where peter gets his fuzzy pajamas and goes around shocking people. KNEEL BEFORE CHRIST!

Anyone....? Lmao
The best I can find:

Electro Man

That clip kills me.

Last edited by kamakurakid; 01-24-2009 at 02:31 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:55 AM
I don't know whatever happened to them... but people around where I live used to attach a rubber strip to a part of the car's chassis just behind the bottom of their rear bumpers that literally keeps in contact with the ground at all times (even when driving). My friend from Hong Kong bought me one for my mom's car back in 2000 and it actually works. I wish I could take a picture of it but I have no idea where it is.

I did find that solbrothers got one on his FIT in this picture:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post330205

Last edited by got_FITted_09; 01-24-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:20 AM
Here are those strips your talking about:

Antistatic for cars - STOP static shocks! Stop Static Electricity in your vehicle!

Wish there was something similiar but a little more low key. Im not driving around with that thing...

Old 01-24-2009, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Here are those strips your talking about:

Antistatic for cars - STOP static shocks! Stop Static Electricity in your vehicle!

Wish there was something similiar but a little more low key. Im not driving around with that thing...
Are these those things that you see dangling from the back of cars sometimes? what if someone steps on it while your driving and it rips off your bumper? LOL.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:06 PM
I have a feeling theyll hit the floor before they rip the bumper off. Plus who would just stand on the sidewalk trying to step on these things? I wonder why they have to be in the back of the car. Wish they can be mounted toward the center or maybe even the front so they wont be visible.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
I've seen those before on some cars, but I had no idea what they were for. Do you just drive around with them scraping on the ground?

Old 01-24-2009, 03:10 PM
^^^ Yup... it just drags on the ground as you drive. Looks kind of funny to me... so that's why I didn't put it on my own car.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
drive around dragging it.

Name:  new8-10.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  90.2 KB

Old 01-24-2009, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
What a drag that must be.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:37 PM
They are called "earth belt" and they can be found on ebay. about 10 bucks or less. i don't have them and don't know if they are useful. i am thinking perhaps hanging a regular metal wire from the muffler would do the same thing?

Old 01-25-2009, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
You could still have those hitting the ground but at different places. I'd stick it under the car somewhere so no one could see it. That's only if the static bothers you that much.

Quick Reply: ZAPP... Static Shock Hurts!!!