General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Crashed

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member
ok. So since you totalled the car and owed 15k(and you still wanted to keep the car) the insurance company gave you 15k to pay off the car. So you dont owe anything anymore, but you had to pay 3800, deductible of some sort maybe?

But lets say you didnt want the car, So the insurance company would have given you the 15k for another car? and you would just have to start off with the 15k, and put down the rest out of your pocket on whatever car you wanted next. But if it works this way, doesnt that 15k still need to go to the loan? leaving you with nothing, and having to buy another car by yourself?

LOL. sorry if its getting annoying. I'm just determined to understand how it works.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
ok. So since you totalled the car and owed 15k(and you still wanted to keep the car) the insurance company gave you 15k to pay off the car. So you dont owe anything anymore, but you had to pay 3800, deductible of some sort maybe?

But lets say you didnt want the car, So the insurance company would have given you the 15k for another car? and you would just have to start off with the 15k, and put down the rest out of your pocket on whatever car you wanted next. But if it works this way, doesnt that 15k still need to go to the loan? leaving you with nothing, and having to buy another car by yourself?

LOL. sorry if its getting annoying. I'm just determined to understand how it works.
LOL! yes they did gimme the 15g to pay off my car.... BUT!!!! I BOUGHT MY CAR BACK with the momey they gave me...so i only have 12g left... then that 12g went straight to the loan i took out for my car... so NO THEY DONT GIVE YOU ANY MORE MONEY AFTER THAT 15g... so yah there no more other 15g on top on another 15g... so only one 15g not 2 LOL 15g so yah if i didnt buy my car back then i would have my totalled car paid off and have to start all over again with good credit since its paid off...

lol and no its not annoying its just alot of misunderstanding... if i talk to you in person it might help more =P lol but yah i honestly have to say its a pain the the butt to go through all accident stuff and all that crap =/

EDIT: 15g went to 12g since i bought the car back so that 12g went to the loan and the 3g off of the 15g i have to pay back...

Last edited by Im|Inside|Fit; 01-22-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
hahaha. tight. Yeah i kinda get it now. Damn insurance is annoying. But on the plus side, my rate dropped 20 bucks a month for good drivers record. LOL. Thanks for explaining dude =].

Old 01-22-2009, 03:43 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrKelso
I should have taken pics

Basically I was at a red light (I had stopped JUST short of the intersection). I was waiting for the light. I was adjusting my seating position when my foot slipped off the clutch (it was all wet from the ice and stuff) and I jumped a little forward and got clipped in the front left side. I'm praying for no frame damage.

Noticeable damage:
Hood
L Headlight
Front Bumper
L Fender
Possible suspension damage (wheel looked a bit cock-eyed)
Headliner/Seat (from side airbags deploying)

I'm ok but my neck is a bit sore. Also the left side of my face hurts from the side-curtain airbags punching me in the cheek, and I have an are of "raised, uneven skin" (according to my gf) from where the side airbag reached around the seat and slapped me in the back of my arm.

A few things that could have helped avoid this situation:
-Awareness!
-Floor mats so my shoes wouldn't be so slippery
-Mugen pedals so my slippery feet wouldn't slip off so easily.

I'll take pics when I get a chance. I'm taking the day off tomorrow and possibly on friday. At this point, I am looking online for used GD's...
First things first...TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF and your health and neck!!! If you need to see a doctor, see one. No fooling around with that! You can't buy a new or used neck, anywhere.

Next, the carpet floor mats and sticky pedals may not help at all. That's another reason why I would shift into neutral at any lights in my old VW M/T.

It's not just the RAIN or SNOW, but there is road oil. And that road oil gets on your shoes, and then on your pedals. And you then have the car pedal equivalent of a summertime slip-n-slide (those long plastic sheets covered with water, to slide on).

The only thing that might not slip would be golf shoes, or tacks with the pointy side up on your pedals (don't drive barefoot). And those things aren't a very good idea.

Even if you had blow-dried your shoe bottoms after getting in the car, if there was road oil on them, you could have slipped anyway. Even if you got in with brand new shoes, if there was road oil or moisture on the pedals, you could have slipped anyway.

So, one thing, consider the idea of cleaning the pedals in winter quite often. You don't need a fancy cleaner. But you also don't want a lot of soapy residue left on the pedal, soap is slippery too!

Please do keep us all updated!

Old 01-22-2009, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
hahaha. tight. Yeah i kinda get it now. Damn insurance is annoying. But on the plus side, my rate dropped 20 bucks a month for good drivers record. LOL. Thanks for explaining dude =].
haha yah insurance is a pain in the butt but like i said if you have full coverage then you dont really have to worry about it... cuss the car will eventually get pay off if you get into a serious accident... i told alot of people that might work to get your insurance to pay off your car.... break a motor mount or do something to the motor (the most expensive part of a car) but not too much to where it really does damage the motor =P and if the insurance wants to pay off your car since its concider "total loss" since the motors whats worth the car.... let them totalled it and take the car... and then buy it back for super cheap =P down side to it will be salvage title owe alittle to the bank for buying the car back and a huge pain in the butt! =P

no problem with the help you dont actualy want to go through it its really a pain in the butt im still in that process of getting the rest of my car paid off and getting my tags and all that BS i have to do to get my car back to normal... =]

Old 01-22-2009, 03:57 AM
5 Year Member
Used GDs, Chicago area (roughly):

Craigslist:
classifieds - craigslist

Quite a few to view on Auto Trader, via Edmunds:
New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com

Most appear to be automatic.

You can also do an online appraisal at that Edmunds site to get an idea of what the value might be.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Im|Inside|Fit
haha yah insurance is a pain in the butt but like i said if you have full coverage then you dont really have to worry about it... cuss the car will eventually get pay off if you get into a serious accident... i told alot of people that might work to get your insurance to pay off your car.... break a motor mount or do something to the motor (the most expensive part of a car) but not too much to where it really does damage the motor =P and if the insurance wants to pay off your car since its concider "total loss" since the motors whats worth the car.... let them totalled it and take the car... and then buy it back for super cheap =P down side to it will be salvage title owe alittle to the bank for buying the car back and a huge pain in the butt! =P

no problem with the help you dont actualy want to go through it its really a pain in the butt im still in that process of getting the rest of my car paid off and getting my tags and all that BS i have to do to get my car back to normal... =]
LOL. yeah good to know just in case it ever does happen. My last car was a salvage, its hard to sell. But i guess i just went to the honda dealership at the right time. It was the last day of the month, and it was 8pm at night, so the sales guy was sweating to make a sale. I'm a sales guy too, so i know how it is. LOL. so they ended up giving me 3k for my car(which was at home) so they didnt see that i had previously gotten into an accident too so the car was kinda messed up. LOL! THan they came to my house to pick up the car(which was 11pm by than). Than he called his boss saying how messed up the car was, and that it was too late. HAHA! So they gave me double of what my car was worth. HAHA.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Make sure you start looking and getting prices for all used Fits with about the same milage and present that to your insurance. The higher the price the better cause then you can argue that if you were to get another fit TODAY this is the money you would need.

I did this with my xB when it was totalled and held out until they came up with a number that I was happy with at first they wanted to give me 9K for it, but after getting prices of used xB in my area with roughly the same milage or more I was able to get 15K.

Good Luck to you, and if your neck is hurting go to a doctor ASAP

Old 01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
As a general rule, the insurance company will pay out what the book value of the car is. They are not guaranteeing the loan, they're insuring the car and driver. So, if the car is worth more than you owe, you could come out with a little cash left over. If you owe more than the car is worth, you might not even come out with a paid-off loan.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
LOL. yeah good to know just in case it ever does happen. My last car was a salvage, its hard to sell. But i guess i just went to the honda dealership at the right time. It was the last day of the month, and it was 8pm at night, so the sales guy was sweating to make a sale. I'm a sales guy too, so i know how it is. LOL. so they ended up giving me 3k for my car(which was at home) so they didnt see that i had previously gotten into an accident too so the car was kinda messed up. LOL! THan they came to my house to pick up the car(which was 11pm by than). Than he called his boss saying how messed up the car was, and that it was too late. HAHA! So they gave me double of what my car was worth. HAHA.
LMAO! you hecka gangster them lol i think that sales man should get fire for that LMAO!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
OH NO SANDDDDYYYYYY......

(screams)

Do see a doctor though, get it in the record in case something else turns up. No matter what, see the doctor and get everything written down, take photographs of your arm, face and whatever else.

I hope your car can be fixed. Damn snow.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the kind words and wishes, everyone. I had a chance to run to the shop and take some photos. Added pics to the first post.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the kind words and wishes, everyone. I had a chance to run to the shop and take some photos. Added pics to the first post.
OUCH OUCH and more OUCH!

Have they/you decided on the fate of the Fit?

And how are you feeling?

I'd rather see the Fit mashed than to have you typing with one finger from a hospital room because it hit your door instead.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:16 AM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
I'll know Sandie's fate by Wednesday or Thursday from what the shop told me

Old 01-25-2009, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
I hope your car situation works out all good. But most of all its great that you made it out okay. Got rear ended in my 97 civic (which is what put me into my Fit) cuz the driver didn't expect the lighted intersection to be there (lame). Here's to only car damage, and no really bad human damage.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
I'll know Sandie's fate by Wednesday or Thursday from what the shop told me
That's just a heavy fender-bender, provided no frame damage. I hope all turns out well.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Cat
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope that you will have some good news this week and be able to get back on the road really soon. I have the Mugen pedals and they do help in the winter. The brake pad is like sandpaper! Which I fuss about everytime I try to clean the darn thing but when the foot is wet it really helps having that traction. Please keep us posted.

Cat :x

Old 01-25-2009, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Next, the carpet floor mats and sticky pedals may not help at all. That's another reason why I would shift into neutral at any lights in my old VW M/T.
I would never sit at a light in gear. That means your foot is on the clutch and you will eventually wear out the throwout bearing. My fiancee drives like that and it irks me. But, I still love her.

Dr Kelso- Good luck with the car and I hope that it is repairable.

PS I can't believe that nobody has said, "You can buff that out."

Old 01-26-2009, 04:18 AM
Old 01-26-2009, 06:49 AM
Anyone have any idea what insurance companies will pay out on it if it is totalled?

2008 NHBP
10,0xx miles

Usually near KBB value. They're suppose to give you market value, but that always changes. Also, it depends on your insurance company.

Quick Reply: Crashed