General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.
View Poll Results: Do you use paddle shifting to improve fuel economy?
I don't use paddle shifting in an effort to improve FE.
58.82%
I paddle shift to improve FE, but I haven't observed any difference.
18.63%
I paddle shift to improve FE, and I observe a difference.
22.55%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

AT Paddle usage

Old 06-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Never thought of using the paddles for FE. Mostly I downshift coming to a turn to help accelerate after it and coming to a stop t oaid in braking.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
I only wish I had a manual transmission. Anybody wanna trade? I just find it annoying that it doesn't stick in 5th gear at low speeds.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jensen Healy
I only wish I had a manual transmission. Anybody wanna trade? I just find it annoying that it doesn't stick in 5th gear at low speeds.
Either manipulate the throttle to control the torque converter locking or unlocking under 50 MPH or shift into 4th gear until you go over 45-50 MPH.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
Either manipulate the throttle to control the torque converter locking or unlocking under 50 MPH or shift into 4th gear until you go over 45-50 MPH.
How weird learning how to drive an automatic tranny when I'm well schooled with the manual tranny. Anyhow, it's probably not hard but how can I manipulate the throttle or control the torque converter at low speeds to keep the the tranny in 5th gear?

Old 06-15-2010, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Well, the easiest way is to having the trans in S and manually shift it into 5th and be very light on the throttle. Mind you, you can still do it in D, but it would be harder because the trans either always wants to downshift or unlock the torque converter at the most minor changes in throttle position. Having it in S just eliminates the transmission upshifting itself unless you pull the upshift paddle.

Last edited by Hootie; 06-15-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:45 PM
wait you guys use the paddles in D? and it helps more than S?

Old 06-15-2010, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
I don't use D at all. To be honest, I think my Fit has only been driven probably 400ish miles in D and thats mostly by my uncle and people that service it. I'm always in S mode using the paddles because I can control my upshift points and keep the torque converter locked the majority of the time. Were as in D, the torque converter locks/unlocks as well as the trans shifts more frequently.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:16 AM
hmm...i gotta start using sport mode and see what happens...im getting 28mpg and that sux...i want like 34-36...which is what i used to get i don't know what happened...

Old 06-16-2010, 12:43 AM
I don't use D at all. To be honest, I think my Fit has only been driven probably 400ish miles in D and thats mostly by my uncle and people that service it. I'm always in S mode using the paddles because I can control my upshift points and keep the torque converter locked the majority of the time. Were as in D, the torque converter locks/unlocks as well as the trans shifts more frequently.
As far as I can tell, the clutch on the lockup torque converter still engages and disengages when running in manual mode. For example, if you start in M2 from a standstill, you can rev the engine to a set speed, and watch the spedometer slowly catch up, almost like a CVT; you can't do that with the lockup engaged. Also, if you give it extra throttle at cruising speed in M5, it you can feel the lockup disengage and watch the revs climiveb ~500 rpm.

The transmission is very eager to rev as you first push the throttle at a stop in D. It makes me wonder if it has an unusually high stall torque for a mass-market car - that would explain the rather odd fuel economy pattern: If I am consciously very gentle on the throttle, watching the FE meter, I tend to get worse mileage than when i'm not paying attention (and yeah, being a bit more aggressive). My best guess is that I'm arriving at cruising speed, and spending less time in with the TQ unlocked. A high stall torque converter would explain both the very poor mileage when unlocked, as well as the love it has for jumping like a raped pig when first starting out*.

* That propensity to jump from a start is why even the automatic is so often described as feeling very peppy around town, even though, over all, it's not a fast car. Even starting in M2, it feels responsive from a start.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by if the shoe FITs...
hmm...i gotta start using sport mode and see what happens...im getting 28mpg and that sux...i want like 34-36...which is what i used to get i don't know what happened...
What conditions are you driving in, are you using quality gas, and how do you drive? If you get crappy gas the mileage will just tank even if you are light on the pedal as well as allows carbon to build up in the engine.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:22 AM
im using 87...once inna while i'll use 93...florida conditions...i usually have the windows down at 2 mph to 85 mph so imm gunna try with windows up now too...but its like 95 degrees in fl right now man

Old 06-16-2010, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
Having the windows down at 70+ MPH doesn't help too much (wind resistance), try cracking the windows at those speeds and/or use the fan and AC. Also, anytime you exceed 3400 RPMs (even while cruising in 5th) the Fit's VTEC will engage and bring down your MPGs.

Also, by conditions, I meant like stop and go traffic, freeway, rural highway, etc. and by quality gas I meant like Chevron, Shell and other quality gas stations not just any mom and pop or discount store's fuel, not the octane. The quality of fuel makes a difference in engine performance and mileage.

Originally Posted by Occam
As far as I can tell, the clutch on the lockup torque converter still engages and disengages when running in manual mode. For example, if you start in M2 from a standstill, you can rev the engine to a set speed, and watch the spedometer slowly catch up, almost like a CVT; you can't do that with the lockup engaged. Also, if you give it extra throttle at cruising speed in M5, it you can feel the lockup disengage and watch the revs climiveb ~500 rpm.

The transmission is very eager to rev as you first push the throttle at a stop in D. It makes me wonder if it has an unusually high stall torque for a mass-market car - that would explain the rather odd fuel economy pattern: If I am consciously very gentle on the throttle, watching the FE meter, I tend to get worse mileage than when i'm not paying attention (and yeah, being a bit more aggressive). My best guess is that I'm arriving at cruising speed, and spending less time in with the TQ unlocked. A high stall torque converter would explain both the very poor mileage when unlocked, as well as the love it has for jumping like a raped pig when first starting out*.

* That propensity to jump from a start is why even the automatic is so often described as feeling very peppy around town, even though, over all, it's not a fast car. Even starting in M2, it feels responsive from a start.
Yes, the converter will still lock and unlock regardless of whether the trans is in D or S whenever a certain load is reached; however, in S it is much more controllable with a combination of throttle manipulation and staying in "X" gear until "Y" speed is reached. Its something I had noticed around 9 months ago is that while going over a bridge/overpass. One time I floored my GD in 5th gear to see what how high the revs would build and they held steady at 3K if I recall correctly.

Anyway, whenever I drove up a certain bridge/overpass at 50 MPH in 5th without changing the throttle position or using cruise control the car would slow down to around 45 MPH, the converter opens allowing the revs to go up, and I continue slow as I proceed up the incline. Now, if I downshift into 4th right before going up the same incline the converter will remain locked, the RPMs are at simalar points, but the Fit doesn't slow down as much. I don't know if this greatly affects the mileage, but the Fit definitely feels much more responsive while the converter is locked.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member
I use paddle shifters to destroy mpg.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
Well, the easiest way is to having the trans in S and manually shift it into 5th and be very light on the throttle. Mind you, you can still do it in D, but it would be harder because the trans either always wants to downshift or unlock the torque converter at the most minor changes in throttle position. Having it in S just eliminates the transmission upshifting itself unless you pull the upshift paddle.
Thanks I'll give it a shot when I get the chance. It's kind of ironic that you have to put it in the sport mode to try and save gas, mainly because Honda probably didn't have fuel economy in mind when they included sport mode on their tranny. In fact since I know the CRZ has both a CVT tranny plus an economy mode on it, attached to the same engine the Fit uses. That's why I wonder why Honda went the way they did in the Fit?

Old 12-21-2010, 02:11 PM

The Honda likes to rev. Let it.

If I leave the car in "D" I consistently get 32-34 MPG. If I manually select the gears, allowing the engine to rev to it's most efficient levels (above 4300RPM), then my mileage goes up to 35-36 MPG, every time.

It's all related to throttle position. Keeping the engine at low RPMs requires MORE throttle input to maintain acceleration or speed. The Fit makes it's maximum torque @4800 RPM and maximum HP @ 5800. Allowing the engine to work at it's most efficient is what keeps MPG higher. By driving the car at low RPMs, the engine never even sees the power band.

Now, mind you I don't WOT through the gears. I give enough pedal to get the car moving and leave my foot there until I reach at least 5k before shifting.

I've had the car for 2 1/2 years now, and this method is consistent and predictable. Even in mixed driving, I never get worse than 32 MPG.