General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

trailer hitch voids warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
trailer hitch voids warranty

Just curious .... I need to install a trailer hitch on my 2009 Fit, but, i do not want to void the warranty .... so, naturally, i was curious if there is a way to easily install and remove the hitch whenever dealing with Honda directly .... is this more trouble than its worth? is there a way of hiding the installation of a trailer hitch once its been adapted? ...... have never installed a hitch, so i don't really know if they use existing bolts on the frame ...

Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
you won't void the warrant.... for honda to void it they must prove your mod. caused something to break.... so if u add a hitch, and your motor blows up and is totaly stock your fine.... now if the hitch is mounted bad and bangs on your bumper, and cracks it that would be your fault.... lol

Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Firebat666
you won't void the warrant.... for honda to void it they must prove your mod. caused something to break.... so if u add a hitch, and your motor blows up and is totaly stock your fine.... now if the hitch is mounted bad and bangs on your bumper, and cracks it that would be your fault.... lol
Or anything with the trani... or chassis alignment... or brakes/wheel stress... or suspension.... or...

Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
thanks for the replies ... in other words, if there is even the remotest possibility of a cause and effect problem by the installation of a hitch, then you're on your own .... but, are you also saying that the general warranty is solid irregardless of whether Honda sees the hitch or not?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by tekmcleod
thanks for the replies ... in other words, if there is even the remotest possibility of a cause and effect problem by the installation of a hitch, then you're on your own .... but, are you also saying that the general warranty is solid irregardless of whether Honda sees the hitch or not?

Yeah... I'm pretty sure they cannot penalize you unless your mod has a direct affect on the damage at hand.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
I was told by my dealer not to worry at all. I'm only using the hitch for bikes though.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't put it past a dealer to blame any engine problem on towing a trailer, though.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by FittJedi
I wouldn't put it past a dealer to blame any engine problem on towing a trailer, though.

Yep... it will always be case by case and under the descretion of the individual dealerships, but you don't want to be THAT GUY that gets reemed because they have an excuse for just about anything.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:20 PM
my father in law added a hitch, honda told him it voids the warranty,, he gets his servicing done there, they told him to take the hitch off bring it in for service and and just remember not to get it serviced with the hitch...

i think it said in the owners manual that it voids your warrnanty for towing. and as far as the proof thing You think they really need proof. I towed 11000 lbs on my truck rated @ 4000.. if id have blew the tranny up, they couldnt prove it.. but..... doesnt mean i would have won that battle.
get a roof rack...

Old 03-04-2009, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
if it says towing voids your warranty don't worry... your not towing your carrying bikes.... NOT TOWING i think even the fit's tiny motor can take a few bikes....

Old 03-04-2009, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by runbikerun
I was told by my dealer not to worry at all. I'm only using the hitch for bikes though.
I think you are fine, I towed 1000lbs of snowmobile and trailer all over the place for 2 winters. No issues, but over 1000 lbs not sure.

Plus, honda makes and sells a hitch for the fit/jazz in many other countries.

Look at the first item in the cargo/travel section

Honda Jazz Optional Extras & Body Kit | 2009, 2008

Old 03-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by Firebat666
if it says towing voids your warranty don't worry... your not towing your carrying bikes.... NOT TOWING i think even the fit's tiny motor can take a few bikes....
Make sure that when you install the hitch (or have someone do it for you), that no wiring harness for trailer lights is added. This would make it illegal to tow all but the smallest trailers in most jurisdictions. It's evidence to the dealer that you did not tow with your Fit.

We did this with our Odyssey (an aftermarket hitch on an Odyssey is a serious problem because Honda requires that you have an additional transmission cooler and the transmission is already the Odyssey's weak point), but we have the factory transmission cooler.

We tried the hitch-mounted bike rack a few times, but frankly it is not worth it. Putting the weight of four bikes swinging around a couple of feet behind the car completely changes the handling--I can't imagine what it would do to a car the size/weight of the Fit.