General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

why do big trucks keep riding my bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:42 PM
No one's mentioned brake-checking? That's standard procedure in NJ.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matt4.2
It annoys me soo much. Every day i have some asshat redneck in their pos lifted truck tailgate me. I love leaving them behind in the corners. It just pisses me off the cops aren't ticketing these tailgating bast**d's. I hope their steering racks, or suspension systems fail. These guys in their retarded lifted trucks need to be charged 8 bucks a liter for gas.

Perhaps you need to drive faster on the straights. Are you doing at least the speed limit?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by No_Skillz
No one's mentioned brake-checking? That's standard procedure in NJ.
Brake-checking will get you ground under in the south. And you'll be blamed with contributory negligence.
If you can't keep up, get out of the way.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Banned
haha story time...

ok so i'm driving to advance auto parts to pick up some oil with my friend

i slow down for train tracks, and then even more so for this huge bump that goes all the way across the road, and the car that was tailgating me decides he's had enough of my cautious driving so he flies past me (in town on a one lane road no less) and goes like 40 over the bump then the semi behind him decides to follow suit even though he had to get over into the turn lane anyway, and we were only a couple hundred feet from the intersection

and i had to get into the other lane (there's a different turn lane at same intersection) well this hardass is in my lane so i had to floor it to make my turn in time, then he proceeds to take a turn, that i take at about 25 in my car, at roughly 40 mph

then when driving back on a different road (also really bumpy plus this is extremely narrow) i'm going slow just below the speed limit to save my suspension and an audi (base model not even a good one) decides to fly past me and double the speed limit, cool d-bag....

end venting session

Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 PM
If you're driving at a reasonable rate (i.e. the speed limit or faster), and keeping a constant speed, it's simply not your problem. If someone is ludicrously close to you, just tap your brakes (without actually slowing down) to let them know. If that doesn't work, pull over & and let them get past you so they can get in an accident with someone else.

If you're NOT driving a reasonable or constant speed (e.g. screwing up entire traffic patterns because of selfish hypermiling techniques), then it IS partly your problem . . . please drive more respectfully & safely.

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
I get that all the time. I have fun with it though. I keep getting slower and slower, when they try and pass me I floor it. Leave them in the dust then go back to normal speed. As they pass me all pissed off I just smile and wave Theyre usually flipping me off by that point though.
You're what's wrong with the world.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
i slow down for train tracks, and then even more so for this huge bump that goes all the way across the road, and the car that was tailgating me decides he's had enough of my cautious driving so he flies past me (in town on a one lane road no less) and goes like 40 over the bump then the semi behind him decides to follow suit even though he had to get over into the turn lane anyway, and we were only a couple hundred feet from the intersection
So to sum up . . . you were going slow enough so that both a car AND a tractor trailer truck were fed up enough to pass you on a single lane road?

They might have been wrong to do so, but it sounds to me like you need to drive faster. :shrug:

Old 03-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Originally Posted by Daemione
So to sum up . . . you were going slow enough so that both a car AND a tractor trailer truck were fed up enough to pass you on a single lane road?

They might have been wrong to do so, but it sounds to me like you need to drive faster. :shrug:
In a lowered car you need to drive slow over railroad tracks and big bumps. I would let a marching band pass me before I take a chance to ruin my bumper, frame and/or suspension.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Banned
yeah i'm not going to risk my front end and suspension for a couple of seconds saved

Old 03-11-2009, 09:12 PM
hey i kinda want a big truck just to go offroading...i have a big wiener anyway muahaha. in the silvia i let the asshole get close then i stop giving gas, let them try to pass then smash the gas pedal and overtake them and let them keep trying til they understand. u also have one special finger to show ppl on the road whos boss

Old 03-11-2009, 10:22 PM
yeah i'm not going to risk my front end and suspension for a couple of seconds saved
Okay, so I'll revise my statement:

If you're so low that you can't make it over some railroad tracks without pissing off people so badly that they pass you illegally . . . then you need to fix your suspension.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Umm says who? There's plenty of stock cars that can't make it over a railroad track over 20 mph. The truck drivers can be patient and slow down a bit while we slowly pass over the railroad track.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
cant agree more. trucks tailgate me in the straights, and when i dont brake/decelerate in turns, they are left in the dust haha

Old 03-11-2009, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Okay, so I'll revise my statement:

If you're so low that you can't make it over some railroad tracks without pissing off people so badly that they pass you illegally . . . then you need to fix your suspension.
im pretty damn low and i pay no attention to railroad tracks

Old 03-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Umm says who? There's plenty of stock cars that can't make it over a railroad track over 20 mph. The truck drivers can be patient and slow down a bit while we slowly pass over the railroad track.
I can only make assumptions based on what's been posted in this thread.

Slow down for tracks, sure . . . but according to the story, it took so long to get over them that both a car and a tractor trailer truck got so frustrated that they went around in an illegal (and probably dangerous) manner.

If a car can't make it over road imperfections at a speed that won't cause other drivers to go around . . . . then that car belongs on a carpet somewhere, not on the road. :shrug:

fwiw, until I got my Fit a few months ago, I'd been daily driving a lowered car for the last 9 years. But it has to be done correctly - an intelligent amount of drop, and spring & shock rates that are designed to handle the reduced ride height & suspension travel. No matter how good I thought it looked, I could never bring myself to drive a car so impractical that it encouraged reckless driving in others.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Banned
i slow down for railroad tracks because #1 i care about my car too much to do any extra harm to it and #2 i was taught in driver's ed to slow for tracks to watch for trains...

Old 03-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Banned
I can only make assumptions based on what's been posted in this thread.

Slow down for tracks, sure . . . but according to the story, it took so long to get over them that both a car and a tractor trailer truck got so frustrated that they went around in an illegal (and probably dangerous) manner.

If a car can't make it over road imperfections at a speed that won't cause other drivers to go around . . . . then that car belongs on a carpet somewhere, not on the road. :shrug:

fwiw, until I got my Fit a few months ago, I'd been daily driving a lowered car for the last 9 years. But it has to be done correctly - an intelligent amount of drop, and spring & shock rates that are designed to handle the reduced ride height & suspension travel. No matter how good I thought it looked, I could never bring myself to drive a car so impractical that it encouraged reckless driving in others.
i didn't slow that much unless you call 20 in a 25 slowing recklessly

Old 03-11-2009, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
Oh i know why its due to the fit being so sexy. Even with my new CR i still get all excited when i see a fit i should have kept mine

Old 03-11-2009, 11:06 PM
i didn't slow that much unless you call 20 in a 25 slowing recklessly
Okay, well then something you're saying doesn't add up. A tractor trailer passing you illegally for going 20 over tracks . . . ? sorry, I don't believe it.

Especially considering big trucks always come to a complete stop before crossing railroad tracks.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
i call bs on the story

Old 03-11-2009, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
I've had to deal with railroads in my time. Railroads, speedbumps, dips... Just another reason why I'm not lowering my car. I've learned and moved on.

Quick Reply: why do big trucks keep riding my bumper