General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 02:25 PM
It all sounds good to me I get 14-12 mpg in my truck. Ill be happy to get 30+ mpg.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
First fill-up my tanks not empty yet, hwy and city driving w\ac on about 30 mpg!!!!!

Old 06-26-2006, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
I still have about 2 months to wait for my manual fit sport, but I will post my mileage when I get it.

While it is possible to vary driving habits to impact fuel economy, a big factor that is largely out of one’s control is the gas formulation used in the car. There are many different formulations of gas, based on various clean air regulations. If you live in an area with clean air restrictions on the gas, like I do, your gas formulation is probably cleaner burning. The down side is that cleaner burning fuels tend to result in lower MPG.

With my '95 Integra (anyone want to buy it?) I get 3-4 mpg less from fuel I purchase in the Philadelphia area than I do from fuel purchased in parts of Central Pennsylvania, where the gas formulation is different. Winter and summer formulations also differ.

The problem is that it is not always easy to know what gas you are getting. For logistical and financial reasons, sometimes a cleaner burning fuel is sold in an area that does not require it (the opposite would be illegal). While cleaner burning fuel is usually more expensive to produce, sometimes having fewer formulations of fuel is more cost effective for a gas company.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:53 PM
Went on a little road trip this weekend to Nags Head in NC, I filled up when I left work Friday. Drove there Friday (125 miles) Drove while down at the beach Saturday and Sunday. Drove back to VA another (125 miles) Drove to work on Monday and filled up on lunch break with premium from WaWa. I had 395 miles on that tank, it took 9.5 gallons to fill up, the gas light was also on. That tank = 41.5 MPG.......I also fill up with premium because its only $2.85 a gallon here in VA

Old 06-28-2006, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ChrisG
Went on a little road trip this weekend to Nags Head in NC, I filled up when I left work Friday. Drove there Friday (125 miles) Drove while down at the beach Saturday and Sunday. Drove back to VA another (125 miles) Drove to work on Monday and filled up on lunch break with premium from WaWa. I had 395 miles on that tank, it took 9.5 gallons to fill up, the gas light was also on. That tank = 41.5 MPG.......I also fill up with premium because its only $2.85 a gallon here in VA
My dad has always claimed he gets sufficiently better mileage with premium gas to more than offset the additional cost of same. He is a doctor (retired) and very ****ytically minded, and has claimed to tested this several times. I've never had the patience to test it myself, but maybe I will when I get my Fit.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
Oops, I said ****ytical.

Damn, did it again...

Old 06-28-2006, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
If anybody would like a copy of the spread sheet I'm using just PM me I'll email it to ya. It calculates fuel costs, averages, cost per mile, etc.
Hasafraker,
I would like your sreadsheet.
boatfloyd

Old 06-29-2006, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
Well, on my second tank, I only got 29.6mpg. First tank I got 33.6. I pretty much drove the same amount of city/hwy with AC on most of the time. Hot here in Cali. Going to fill her up at a different gas station next time.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:37 AM
Remember the most efficient way to use the A/C is to turn it on max cold with the min fan. This will run the compressor the least, and should be able to keep the car cool. Use recirc to cool the car off, then switch back to fresh.

A/C can really cut down mileage, as can driving really fast, and using ethanol blends.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:57 AM
I noticed two consistent things throughout this thread issue:
You get better gas mileage if your Fit is:

1) a Manual Transmission
2) You live anywhere else other than California (where the gas formula isn't so strict)

It seems most CA drivers (like me) are only getting mid 20s-low 30s MPG. Or did I just end up with a Lemon?? How can you tell if your Fit is a lemon or not? A co-worker of mine just bought a new Corolla last weekend and says that he is already getting about mid-30s mpg. I noticed today that my speedometer read 60 miles (since last fill up), and the needle is already at quarter empty. Should I phone Honda Corporate about this issue? I think my dealership is pretty useless; I've poised the mileage question to them before and they literally laughed at my face and told me to wait before the engine breaks in. According to Honda manual, break in was at 600 miles, which I have already passed. Any suggestions?

Old 06-29-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm in Columbus OH, getting 33.9mpg and 34.1mpg on my first 2 tanks respectively, about 70% hwy and 30% city. Just driving to work, going to lunch, and going home. Using Giant eagle unleaded gas. Sport AT in normal automatic mode.

I've started playing in sport mode, letting each gear go up to 4k before shifting instead of letting the computer do it at like 2500-2800, testing to see how much mpg I lose. I do like the power though, since I just got my fit and got rid of my old crappy 6cyl Dodge ram truck.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Might not just be cali gas though, I might as well piss in the tank for all its worth. But cali models are usually slightly different with emmisions compliance, not sure if the fit is this way but they usually have a 49 state model and a cali model.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Sport mpg

I already have 3k miles so it should be broken in. I just finished a road trip from Houston to Dallas with my 2 young sons and 4 days worth of clothes and such. Running the a/c non-stop I got about 32-33 mpg. During the work week I do about 75% stop n go and get about 25 or so. It's Texas(Houston at that) you gotta run the a/c, so cooler climates may yield better mpg.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Two weeks ago I got 30.681 mpg.

Last week (filled up this Monday) it improved to 30.968 mpg. This was noticeable. I fill up every Sunday afternoon, but I was able to get an extra day's commute this week, and was able to wait until Monday evening.

Hopefully, I'm hitting the point where the mileage starts to climb a bit.

Driving habits were the same for the past two weeks.

Just hit 2300 miles.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:19 PM
After 31, 33 and 28 (?), my last tank was 34.4 so it's climbing without any appreciable changes in my driving patterns. It's mostly highway, but a rush hour commute probably qualifies as City. AC on most of the time on the number 2 setting. HOWEVER, after filling up last night I found that my tires were only inflated to the mid-20s. I am hopeful my mileage will improve with a little more air in the tires.

Old 06-30-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by bluemeanie
I noticed two consistent things throughout this thread issue:
You get better gas mileage if your Fit is:

1) a Manual Transmission
2) You live anywhere else other than California (where the gas formula isn't so strict)

It seems most CA drivers (like me) are only getting mid 20s-low 30s MPG. Or did I just end up with a Lemon?? How can you tell if your Fit is a lemon or not? A co-worker of mine just bought a new Corolla last weekend and says that he is already getting about mid-30s mpg. I noticed today that my speedometer read 60 miles (since last fill up), and the needle is already at quarter empty. Should I phone Honda Corporate about this issue? I think my dealership is pretty useless; I've poised the mileage question to them before and they literally laughed at my face and told me to wait before the engine breaks in. According to Honda manual, break in was at 600 miles, which I have already passed. Any suggestions?
Not so sure that its the gas in Cali. Cali has the most strict emissions control in the country. If you look at the tail-pipe of a car in Cali, you'll notice that you'll see nothing but air and water coming out. That's because almost all cars need extra emissions control to ensure that air pollution is kept to the absolute minimum. Thats why when you see car ads, it says prices and mileage may vary in California(the extra cost being the added hardware or change in tuning of the engine). There's very few cars that meet emission standards in all the contiuguous states....the VW TDI is the only one that comes to mind right now. Anyway, I'm not sure whether the Fit has changed(altered) emissions for California. I'm sure it's not the gas since I've driven cars from Canada in Cali and found no differences in mileage whatsoever. The changes in emissions takes the harshest toll on the smallest engines, the Fit. Some of the bigger engines will not notice appreciable changes in mileage(usually, cause they're already guzzlers...).

Old 06-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by BKKJack
My dad has always claimed he gets sufficiently better mileage with premium gas to more than offset the additional cost of same. He is a doctor (retired) and very ****ytically minded, and has claimed to tested this several times. I've never had the patience to test it myself, but maybe I will when I get my Fit.
I'm not so sure it's the best thing to run premium when the engine doesn't call for it. No doubt, the premium fuel does give better mileage but there's a price. It will wear the engine out quicker. Think of it this way. The premium fuel packs a harder punch and this engine wasn't built for that. You usually switch to premium when the engine is begining to wear out. For instance, an older engine (say over 100,000 miles) might have a knocking sound other than the valves. Thats due to clearances being increased in the engine due to wear and tear. At that point if you switch to premium, you'll notice that your engine will loose it's knocking and will likely feel "fresher". The only problem with switching to premium when the engine isn't 'worn-out' is that it will seat the parts and tolerances in the engine to a new setting. After using premium for a time, you'll find that you can't go back to regular as you may have premature engine wear. If your engine doesn't call for premium, I don't think its a good idea unless the engine is well past it's prime(then, premium will bring back the old zip in the engine and get rid of the knocking noises).

Just my opinion but, I've seen it more than once. I know of several friends using premium on their Civics (know others with American cars as well) that have resulted in premature engine wear. It seems more prevalent on the smaller 4-bangers. I knew people doing it on V8s and it didn't seem to hurt it at all(don't know any 6-bangers that did this).

Old 06-30-2006, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by metaxadude
I'm not so sure it's the best thing to run premium when the engine doesn't call for it. No doubt, the premium fuel does give better mileage but there's a price. It will wear the engine out quicker. Think of it this way. The premium fuel packs a harder punch and this engine wasn't built for that. You usually switch to premium when the engine is begining to wear out. For instance, an older engine (say over 100,000 miles) might have a knocking sound other than the valves. Thats due to clearances being increased in the engine due to wear and tear. At that point if you switch to premium, you'll notice that your engine will loose it's knocking and will likely feel "fresher". The only problem with switching to premium when the engine isn't 'worn-out' is that it will seat the parts and tolerances in the engine to a new setting. After using premium for a time, you'll find that you can't go back to regular as you may have premature engine wear. If your engine doesn't call for premium, I don't think its a good idea unless the engine is well past it's prime(then, premium will bring back the old zip in the engine and get rid of the knocking noises).

Just my opinion but, I've seen it more than once. I know of several friends using premium on their Civics (know others with American cars as well) that have resulted in premature engine wear. It seems more prevalent on the smaller 4-bangers. I knew people doing it on V8s and it didn't seem to hurt it at all(don't know any 6-bangers that did this).
This may be your opinion, but it is entirely untrue. Higher octane will not wear out engines faster, only empty your wallets quicker. You should really stop making stuff up and not spread untruths.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by metaxadude
Not so sure that its the gas in Cali. Cali has the most strict emissions control in the country. If you look at the tail-pipe of a car in Cali, you'll notice that you'll see nothing but air and water coming out. That's because almost all cars need extra emissions control to ensure that air pollution is kept to the absolute minimum. Thats why when you see car ads, it says prices and mileage may vary in California(the extra cost being the added hardware or change in tuning of the engine). There's very few cars that meet emission standards in all the contiuguous states....the VW TDI is the only one that comes to mind right now. Anyway, I'm not sure whether the Fit has changed(altered) emissions for California. I'm sure it's not the gas since I've driven cars from Canada in Cali and found no differences in mileage whatsoever. The changes in emissions takes the harshest toll on the smallest engines, the Fit. Some of the bigger engines will not notice appreciable changes in mileage(usually, cause they're already guzzlers...).
California uses reformulated gasoline only during the summer, so if you drove during the winter, you wouldn't notice much difference.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by kkim
This may be your opinion, but it is entirely untrue. Higher octane will not wear out engines faster, only empty your wallets quicker. You should really stop making stuff up and not spread untruths.
I guess that is your opinion and you are entitled. I will only say the my experience is anecdotal. If you have other examples, please share them if you want.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage