General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Test drive impressions of manual Sport Fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Test drive impressions of manual Sport Fit

Finally got to test drive the Fit Sport yesterday. I found power delivery to be very linear, with none of the (noticeable) peakiness of older V-Tec technology. The ride was fairly compliant; not at all uncomfortable, even on our smooth-asphalt-challenged streets.

It was shod with the 15" Bridgestone Turanza all-season rubber. The handling was excellent, with a neutral to understeer tendencies at 7 to 8/10's driving, tending to terminal understeer when pushing hard.

Weight transfer in sweeping corners was progressive, although definitely not as progressive as with a double wishbone or multi-link suspension out back. Lean was not excessive, and was mainly due to its tall-boy nature as opposed to soft suspension. I say this, as I found that rebound was more than adequately supressed. I'll attribute the lean to the somewhat higher center of gravity in comparisson to Civics of yore.

I would have liked a little more feel from the brakes, but they proved to be quite adept at hauling down the vehicle from speed. The cabin was noisier than what I had expected at lower speeds. However, I was able to have a conversation without having to shout at between 150-160/kph.

The shift linkage was excellent. Very little notchiness (it has yet to be broken in) and excellent clutch travel and take-up. Quite curiously, I found throttle over-run when shifting up. I don't know whether this is due to mapping - was it not adjusted differently for the auto vs. the manual? - or a heavier flywheel than what I'm used to. My wife confirmed my finding.

The driving position was excellent. I am 5'11" and find myself driving in a more upright position than what I was used to 10 years back. Sightlines need some getting used to, but I could situate the vehicle's extremities without too much difficulty. Matterials are of a good quality for the price range, excepting the carpet.

Overall, I was thoroughly impressed with this vehicle, and would wholeheartedly recommend its purchase to family and friends!

Old 04-07-2006, 11:14 AM
throttle "overrun" ?

Originally Posted by Green Lightning
Quite curiously, I found throttle over-run when shifting up.
Can you elaborate on this for us laymen? Thanks.
Also, did you find the lack of a seat height adjustment a problem? I'm also 5'11" but wifey is 5'1".

Old 04-07-2006, 11:41 AM

Quite curiously, I found throttle over-run when shifting up.

OK, so it's not just in my mind. I find that too. I have to pull off the gas sooner than I did in my old car.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:42 PM
ĢI'm also 5'11" but wifey is 5'1"

Two things we have in common! She was able to find a comfortable driving position, but she has more difficulty locating the extremities of the vehicle due to:

1- the seat adjustment in her Cooper lets her see over the front cowl, unlike in the Fit,
2- the positioning and relative thickness of the Fit's rearmost pillar,
3- the ascending beltline from front to rear.

When shifting from a lower to higher gear, the revs are held for a fraction of a second by the computer in order to smoothen out a shift - i.e. less jerky when shifting quickly at relatively moderate revs (short shifting) Certain (non-DSG transmission) semi-manual/semi-automatic transmissions are programmed this way precisely for the reason I just mentioned. In a manual vehicle, a heavier flywheel can also duplicate this condition.

Daņiel, have you gotten used to it or is it as annoying now as it was on Day1?
Is the throttle electronically controlled on both manual and auto versions? If so, it could be a question of mapping. Then again, changing the flywheel for something lighter would probably resolve this issue.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Well articulated driving experience! It is awesome to read and hear of everyday street journalism from a fellow board member.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:37 PM

Is the throttle electronically controlled on both manual and auto versions?

It's all good now, my wife is having a tougher time getting used to it. I can see you point about the short shifting and that system trying so smooth things out. Very nice tranny/clutch/stick combo IMHO.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:38 PM
f64
ĢI'm also 5'11" but wifey is 5'1"

Two things we have in common! She was able to find a comfortable driving position, but she has more difficulty locating the extremities of the vehicle due to:

1- the seat adjustment in her Cooper lets her see over the front cowl, unlike in the Fit,
2- the positioning and relative thickness of the Fit's rearmost pillar,
3- the ascending beltline from front to rear.

When shifting from a lower to higher gear, the revs are held for a fraction of a second by the computer in order to smoothen out a shift - i.e. less jerky when shifting quickly at relatively moderate revs (short shifting) Certain (non-DSG transmission) semi-manual/semi-automatic transmissions are programmed this way precisely for the reason I just mentioned. In a manual vehicle, a heavier flywheel can also duplicate this condition.

Is the throttle electronically controlled on both manual and auto versions? If so, it could be a question of mapping. Then again, changing the flywheel for something lighter would probably resolve this issue.
Thanks, Good review. What you refer to as throttle over run is also referred to as "Rev Hang", and is experienced also by the new Civic Si drivers.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:14 PM
It's a drive-by-wire thing, I believe. I seem to recall reviewers mentioning it very soon after the various Euro cars moved to DBW. If I recall correctly, there's an emmissions reason for having the throttle not snap shut immediately...engine doesn't go rich suddenly?

Old 04-07-2006, 02:37 PM
I also have heard that some cars do this for emissions reasons.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Nice write-up

Old 04-08-2006, 12:29 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I got used to the throttle during the test drive. Was odd at first.

Someone sure pushed that little Fit hard!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by Daņiel
OK, so it's not just in my mind. I find that too. I have to pull off the gas sooner than I did in my old car.
Yes. This happens.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Retired Moderator
Awesome write up man, i pretty much agree with everything you said!

Old 10-27-2007, 07:08 PM
I agree. I just test drove a 2008 sport 5MT, and I found the shifting to be very nice. The throw seemed very short (I'm coming from a 97 mazda protege, which has a huge throw). I'm kind of amazed with all the people getting short shifter kits for the fit.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by karoberts
I agree. I just test drove a 2008 sport 5MT, and I found the shifting to be very nice. The throw seemed very short (I'm coming from a 97 mazda protege, which has a huge throw). I'm kind of amazed with all the people getting short shifter kits for the fit.
compared to the civic Si and the S2000 the throws r rly rly long.. i want a short shifter for mine