General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Sometimes I feel ashamed of my Fit . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Unhappy Sometimes I feel ashamed of my Fit . . .

I've had a few (3) co-workers see me in the parking lot getting in/out of my Fit say to me later: "You're riding in the that little thing?"

I've had a lot of trucks and SUVs riding my bumper on the highway trying to intimidate me. . .

Someone in the parking lot at Best Buy said that they felt sorry for me that I lost my job. I asked why, and they said because I was driving that car . . .

Then I've also had the neighbor who told me I should buy a Chrysler (like he did) because 'his Daddy always drove a Chrysler and it helped America'

Then I've had the big Silverado and Dodge Ram trucks pull up to me at a stoplight and yell "Buy American!"

Yeah, there are a lot of rednecks here in the south, but it makes me feel like getting something else to just keep them off my back.

I try to ignore this sh!t but it wears me down.

Last edited by jrlnc; 05-30-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by jrlnc
I've had a few (3) co-workers see me in the parking lot getting in/out of my Fit say to me later: "You're riding in the that little thing?"

I've had a lot of trucks and SUVs riding my bumper and trying to intimidate me. . .

I had someone say to me in the parking lot at Best Buy that they felt sorry for me that I lost my job. I asked why, and they said because I was driving that car . . .

Then I've also had the neighbor who told me I should buy a Chrysler (like he did) because 'his Daddy always drove a Chrysler and it helped America'

Then I've had the big Silverado and Dodge Ram trucks pull up to me at a stoplight and yell 'Buy American!"

Yeah, there are a lot of rednecks here in the south, but it makes me feel like getting something else to just keep them off my back.

Well, what would you get? Another gas-guzzling pickup or SUV that's gotten GM and Chrysler in the mess they are in? Seems to me that you've gotten a vehicle that fits YOUR needs. I'm not a green freak at all but I do prefer to drive a car that gets more than 15MPG. I just picked up a 12 year old VW that gets better mileage then most of the US carmakers' current fleets! I've never been ashamed to drive my little hatchbacks. I don't live in the south like you but believe me, there are quite a few rednecks around here too!

Jeff (PossibleFitNewbie)

Old 04-10-2009, 08:11 PM
so many american cars now are made in mexico, canada, europe etc..
a lot of japanese cars are made in america, hiring american workers, your dealer hires americans, so i dont see whats wrong..

honda accords are more american than camaros, if that helps..

buying parts straight from japan doesnt help americans.. haha

Old 04-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Yep, we have to get over this 'Buy American' mentality. I wonder how many of those trucks and SUVs that those 'patriotic rednecks' are made in Ontario!

Jeff (PossibleFitOwner)

Old 04-10-2009, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
You don't know how lucky you are, I would be proud to have such a car. I've been very poor my entire life and can only dream of getting a new car. If you want to talk about being ashamed, try driving around a '92 Toyota Camry with extremely faded/chipped paint. One day, a fellow coworker whom I like parked next to me in her Mercedes. Talk about embarrassing.

As for the other people who want to laugh, let them laugh and get their 15 mpg. You made a very wise choice.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:26 PM
I live in SC, and bought my 2009 Taffeta White Sport A/T in September '08...and love it!...and I've began doing some cool MODS. My wife and I take my Fit on trips all the time instead of her '08 Nissan Altima. Sorry for the ignorance of others...enjoy being a Fit Freak & enjoy your ride!

Last edited by Taffeta Fit; 04-10-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-10-2009, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HONDAMATIC
so many american cars now are made in mexico, canada, europe etc..
a lot of japanese cars are made in america, hiring american workers, your dealer hires americans, so i dont see whats wrong..

honda accords are more american than camaros, if that helps..

buying parts straight from japan doesnt help americans.. haha
Logic has nothing to do with how the general populace feels about things.

This may help explain why this fit driver is encountering some difficulties with the community.

Jamestown, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-10-2009, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
"Every year Jamestown holds the Hell Hole Swamp Festival on the first full weekend in May. It is a family event with children's games, adult tobacco spitting contest, softball tournament, horseshoe pitching, arm wrestling, beauty contests (in which the winner is dubbed Miss Hell Hole, respectively), a parade, talent contest, exhibits, and arts and crafts. One unique event of the festival is the Hell Hole Gator Trot 10k, colloquially called the Redneck Run. It began in 1976 and is the oldest road race in South Carolina. The festival was first held in 1972."

Ahah. Just keep looking at how many miles you get to the gallon and smile. That always keeps any doubts at bay for me. 34 MPG FTMFW

Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm sorry to hear you have to put up with such morons.

They are jealous and ignorant members of a flat earth society.
I would ignore them. Don't even acknowledge the crap they are saying. They
are mad and obviously confused.

Park it next to nice clean cars and do it proudly.

Don't park next to dirty dinged up trucks and SUVs.

Your Fit will have less dings and being a Honda, it will have a great resale value in the end.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Your state of North Carolina has been hit hard by problems from layoffs in your auto parts plants. Some auto workers may be blaming those of us who don't buy American trucks and SUVs.

This quote from an article last November would seem to indicate that simply "buying American" would not necessarily solve the problem:

"The problems that GM, Ford and Chrysler face, though, are not all of their making. Foreign automakers are also hurting amid the global economic slowdown.That's an important undercurrent in the debate about auto industry assistance, especially in North Carolina, which has amassed a contingent of suppliers for foreign automakers with plants in places such as South Carolina and Alabama.
It's unclear how many parts suppliers in this state serve domestic automakers versus foreign ones such as Toyota and BMW. But it is clear that those that do work for the likes of Toyota are hurting and action by Congress might not benefit them much, if at all.
ASMO North Carolina, which is shutting down the plants in Thomasville and Mount Airy, counts Ford, Chrysler and Toyota among its key customers. It is consolidating operations in Statesville, action driven not by the plight of the Detroit companies but by actions at Toyota.
The Japanese automaker has trimmed production, especially at U.S. plants that make trucks and sport utility vehicles, reducing demand for parts that ASMO supplies.
AW North Carolina, which employs 1,150 in Durham, has been affected as well. It makes parts used in transmissions. Its only customer is Toyota.
Instead of laying off workers, AW has opted to reassign them to special projects -- efforts to change processes, boost quality and improve safety. The company might not benefit directly from actions in Congress, but it won't mind if leaders act.
"We just know that the industry itself is good for manufacturing, and it's good for the economy," said Will Collins, vice president of human resources at the Durham plant. A stronger economy could drive customers back to showrooms and boost Toyota sales, which would mean more work in Durham.
"It's kind of a domino effect," he said."

That's from this source: N.C. suffers with faltering auto industry - Business - News & Observer

I bought GM and Ford cars all my life. Got rid of the last one in 2002. I spent more money trying to get 100,000 miles out of my '89 Grand Am than I spent on all of the Mazdas and Honda/Acura cars I've had since.

If GM or Ford could convince me to buy American, I would. I think the best thing I could do for either company is to buy the best car out there and force them to compete. They got enough of my money for the lousy cars I bought between 1971 and 1999. I'm sure American cars are better now, and if they want to sell me one, they're welcome to compete for my business. They'll have to get me into a showroom first.

Cheers

Old 04-10-2009, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
**** america. drive your fit

Old 04-10-2009, 09:08 PM
That's funny!

Originally Posted by cojaro
"Every year Jamestown holds the Hell Hole Swamp Festival on the first full weekend in May. It is a family event with children's games, adult tobacco spitting contest, softball tournament, horseshoe pitching, arm wrestling, beauty contests (in which the winner is dubbed Miss Hell Hole, respectively), a parade, talent contest, exhibits, and arts and crafts. One unique event of the festival is the Hell Hole Gator Trot 10k, colloquially called the Redneck Run. It began in 1976 and is the oldest road race in South Carolina. The festival was first held in 1972."

Ahah. Just keep looking at how many miles you get to the gallon and smile. That always keeps any doubts at bay for me. 34 MPG FTMFW
That gave me a chuckle, but I'm in North Carolina. It's not quite that bad here.

I guess there are rednecks everywhere.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
For a while there I thought I was one of only few who experiences negative feedback from friends/strangers.

Those who know my car background, which is more of the sportscar type, are perplexed when they found out I was in a Fit. But they're ignorant in assuming that they know what the Fit is. They think it's a tiny cramped, slow and vulnerable (ie not safe) wimpy car. Little do they know how much room is inside, more than their own cars, how safe it is, (ditto) and just as fast if not faster than their cars.

Then there's the negative abuse on the road. I see it all the time. Drivers yield to big cars like trucks or SUVs, but they abuse cute looking cars like the Fit. And it really is the cute design, not the size of the car that makes people abuse us. Most of the time people don't see the length of the car while driving, and the Fit is 60" tall, which is taller than most sedans and coupes. That's why it's the cute design that says, "I'm a wimp...run me off the road!" I don't think drivers abuse say a Ferrari 308 for example, or a Miata or Elise, because of their design, even though they are small cars.

I feel for the OP. I feel the same. If I lived in a more rural, less populated area, I know I wouldn't feel as weary of the abuse.

Nevertheless, I still love my Fit just as much. And there's hope...small, B and A class cars are starting to propogate the states, so peoples' perception and reaction to cute, small cars may change and improve in the years to come.

Last edited by CrystalFiveMT; 04-10-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:38 PM
"Youngest FitFreak"(without a Fit)
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
He is right. Who cares what other think.
/thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:39 PM
It's the rule of the free market. When a product comes along that is built in a superior fashion, lasts longer, and costs less, people will buy it. And thus, all the competition will go out of business.

This is why I cringe at the big 3 getting bail out money...you're going against the very system you constructed. If the free market says those brands are going out of business, guess what, that's what the market is for.

So people who yell "Buy american" are truly ignorant and have no idea what they're talking about.

I'll never buy another american car again. I had one ten years ago when I was sixteen. 100k on those things and they fall apart. I just GAVE AWAY my 91 accord...it had 313k on it. Still ran and idled like a new car. Everything worked. I paid 1k for it from the original owner when it had 242k on it. So give me one good reason why I would ever buy an american car when japanese cars are FAR superior.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I have had little or no problems, most of the non-sense type feedback is mod related... even that is few and far between because I try to keep my car low profile in that regard.

Originally Posted by solbrothers
F#CK YEAH

I hope the big 3 tank and it opens the door for more innovative cars companies.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Moltisanti2009
So give me one good reason why I would ever buy an american car when japanese cars are FAR superior.
The only Japanese cars I'd touch would be the Fit or Tacoma. For every other Japanese car 25k and under, I can find a more reliable, more safe American car for a lower price.

The 91 accord had its day in the sun. The modern accords and civics are just capitalizing on it legacy.

Last edited by SanDan; 04-10-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by jrlnc

Ever consider relocating to Atlanta? Still the south but much more diverse and accepting. "Knock on Wood" that I have yet to experience any negative judgements driving a foreign car or small car. Thankfully I have received quite a few compliments!

Sometimes people can be so incredibly small minded. Sorry to hear your environment isn't very supportive of your car choice. Stand tall and proud...Honda makes an excellant product and the Fit is go!!

Old 04-10-2009, 10:27 PM
you buy american, and the execs on top get all the money

Old 04-10-2009, 10:32 PM
I live in the heart of redneck country...and I've had nothing but positive comments about my Fit.
We still have those 4x4 Fords and Chevy's with the gun rack in the back driving around, but Civics and Camrys are just as popular, at least where I live. I'd say its pretty even imports to American makes.
I wouldn't let the ignorance bother you too much. Whats most important is if YOU'RE happy with your car.

Last edited by Firefly; 05-21-2009 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Sometimes I feel ashamed of my Fit . . .