General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas Pedal issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Gas Pedal issue

Did a search, but came up empty -- if this has already been posted, I apologize. I was wondering if there was any way to increase the spring tension on the gas pedal. I feel like I'm getting cramps in the front of my calf from holding my foot off the pedal to avoid pressing it down too much. It seems like the weight of my foot isn't offset by the spring. It's annoying.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
Curiosity bump.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:24 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Man some people will find anything to complain about.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:28 AM
That isn't very nice qbmurderer13. Why did you even bother posting that? It is very distracting/dangerous if you have a cramp while you are driving.

I don't have this exact problem (I use cruise control instead of holding the pedal steady), but I can understand the concern.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:32 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
I just dont see how this can be a problem to anyone... You seriously cant control your feet to the point where you start cramping up? I think its all in your head.

The 'solution' is simple. Tear apart your gas pedal and install a stiffer spring. Also take a better look at your seating position.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:08 AM
Actually, I have an autoimmune medical condition that causes me not to absorb nutrients properly... and leads to unexpected cramping. But, thanks for your open-mindedness and concern.

Last edited by KatzeChicX; 05-06-2009 at 03:12 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Also take a better look at your seating position.
I second the motion. Sit a little farther away and the problem is solved

BTW there's no "front of the calf" - what's cramping is the OP's shin.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:21 AM
Originally Posted by KatzeChicX
Actually, I have an autoimmune medical condition that causes me not to absorb nutrients properly... and leads to unexpected cramping. But, thanks for your open-mindedness and concern.
you have stiff person syndrome?

Old 05-06-2009, 04:53 AM
I have read this kind of issue before...lol

Old 05-06-2009, 05:04 AM
qb, I have a long commute, so I'm driving for an hour and ten minutes each way. I try to use the cruise, but in the morning rush hour, it's sometimes a pain. I am only 5 foot 6, so moving the seat back doesn't work so well, since then the steering wheel seems too far away. The muscle in the shin (front of calf - ha! I must have been drunk) is what gets tired. Not necessarily a full-on cramp, but next time you're watching television try placing both feet flat on the floor and then hold your right foot off the ground, pivoting on the heel. Now stay that way for an hour. As for "some people complaining about anything," it's not all in my head, unfortunately. It's an actual problem for me, otherwise I wouldn't have found this forum. (Incidentally, the whole dead pedal problem? Totally not an issue for me. But I don't tell people it's all in their head.) My point is, in my Nissan Sentra, the weight of my foot was nicely offset by the resistance of the pedal -- I pushed my foot down to where I wanted it, and it stayed there with minimal effort on my part. It wasn't wandering all over the place based on how tired my leg was. I'm basically just trying to find out if there's an easy way to duplicate that.

Last edited by mfitz; 05-06-2009 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Hmmm, understood. I'm 5'8" myself and I do feel your pain on the wheel being a touch too far away.

Here's an idea: Slide the seat backward, but sit more upright. I think it'll solve your problem, because your arms are brought forward to greet the wheel. Let us know if it does.

Yeah, it feels awkward at first, but sitting as upright as possible is how you want to sit when driving competitively (e.g. on a racetrack).

Old 05-06-2009, 11:24 AM
WHOHOO FOR CRUISE CONTROL FOR THOSE WHO HAVE IT!

I remember driving to SD in my old car and get cramps once in awhile. But with my sport auto fit, I just use cruise control whenever the road is clear just to give my leg some rest.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mfitz
Did a search, but came up empty -- if this has already been posted, I apologize. I was wondering if there was any way to increase the spring tension on the gas pedal. I feel like I'm getting cramps in the front of my calf from holding my foot off the pedal to avoid pressing it down too much. It seems like the weight of my foot isn't offset by the spring. It's annoying.
try wearing shoes with thin soles. the pedal is too close to you while you're driving.

another reason why i dont like using those place over the pedal decorative
pedal covers. defeats the purpose of having telescopic steering wheel columns.
especially those pedal covers that are longer and comes closer to the floor. wide is
ok, but longer is NG!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try sitting straighter to see if that helps. Now i can complain about the odd hole placement in the arm rest. It's exactly where my elbow wants to be resting.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 PM
i know what you mean, our element has the perfect pedal resistance. however, i don't think it's Drive-By-Wire.

I don't have cruise, and i drive about 5 hours to home every few weekends. my foot would feel weird after like an hour, but now i do it so much that my leg is used to it.

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
i have to agree, when im tired of walking around, driving feels super horrible. I end up soo tired i dont even heel-toe to assist braking anymore, i just put the car to neutral. The "tension" doesnt bother me though, although light - it isnt the big issue. I think the issue is the position of the pedals themselves, it's very upright and puts alot of strain on my muscles. Like today after hanging out at the beach.. the drive home was hell!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:33 PM
When I first bought the car, I did have issues getting the seat positioned where it was comfortable. I normally drive more upright, but I think that caused the pedal to be too close. I also have a problem with the headrest hitting my ponytail, had to adjust that.

As for the troll that was on here earlier, I'm pleased that the conversation turned to a more useful/community direction. Nothing like multiple personal attacks to make people want to stick around.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mfitz
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try sitting straighter to see if that helps. Now i can complain about the odd hole placement in the arm rest. It's exactly where my elbow wants to be resting.
Yeah, try using the arm rests in the back seat!

Old 05-07-2009, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
I'll second (or third, or whatever) that a change in driving position may help. The thing that I've disliked the most about my Fit is the gas pedal position. I commute roughly 100 miles daily, and it is annoying. Not as annoying as the one in the Yaris, but annoying. If only the center console were shifted an inch to the right...

Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Count me in as someone else who's considered tearing apart the pedal assembly to install a stiffer spring . . . I've tried every seating position possible, but almost every day my shin is still sore or stiff from holding my foot up off the pedal.

In other cars I've driven with a similar upright seating position it hasn't been an issue, because a stiffer pedal lets you rest more of your foot's weight before depressing it.

fwiw, I have cruise control and use it whenever I can . . . but that's not very often. My commute is all traffic & stoplights.

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal issue