General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Music Link?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Music Link?

ok, i'm confused: i thought that the whole reason the mp3 auxiliary jack was included on the sport was so that you wouldn't have to buy the ipod musiclink? but i've been noticing lately that you have to buy the ipod musiclink separately- is this what you have to have to play your ipod? can someone please clarify? thanks!

Old 04-20-2006, 12:49 PM
The aux input lets you hook up any MP3 player, but the MusicLink is designed specifically for the iPod. Plus it charges the iPod when its plugged in, and you can change songs through the stereo controls.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:49 PM
I am going to get a lighter IPOD charger & and a IPOD mount for the dash and save myself $200 bucks for the musiclink. (Storm Silver LX AT)

Old 04-20-2006, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
You don't need the music link unless you want to control the ipod through the stereo which apparently is somewhat problematic. If you are content to use the controls on the ipod, then just use the AUX input and a cigarette charger. There are other forums here that address the music link problems. Can't remember them right now, but do a search and you'll find them I'm sure.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:46 PM
Does the base model have the input jack as well?

Old 04-20-2006, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
It doesn't which is sux but the dealership I went to said they could probably install it (they compared it to the Civic's accessories because they don't have all the Fit's list just yet) for somewhere between $100-$300.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:00 PM
That is too bad. I would happily pay for the sport, but the sills get me. Maybe it will be less extroverted in person.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
I totally agree. I also don't really need the fog lights or the CC, but I really didn't like the body kit aside from the spoiler. I thought I could deal with it but the more I looked at it the more I really didn't like them so I figured I would just take them off and sell them. Then I found out the security system is not an alarm but just a theft deterrent, which is fine except I need an alarm where I live.

So I'm just going to go for the base model, add the AUX, and Honda alarm (if you put an aftermarket alarm it voids the warranty), and then maybe the spoiler later. I can live w/o it if need be.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by hatchgeek
You don't need the music link unless you want to control the ipod through the stereo which apparently is somewhat problematic.
Again if you know what to expect THERE IN NO PROBLEM WITH NON NAV BASED Musiklink systems.
Go ride with someone who has it and has taken the time to know how it works - - you'll write off the very few but loud group that are bitchin' online...

Old 04-20-2006, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hatchgeek
and Honda alarm (if you put an aftermarket alarm it voids the warranty), and then maybe the spoiler later. I can live w/o it if need be.
Many auto salesmen say this in an attempt to force you to buy the OEM solution. What warranty are they referring to? I personally wouldn't be afraid to install an aftermarket alarm.

In the event that there is some sort of electronic problem; and it is totally unrelated to the aftermarket alarm electronics, then your warranty is still valid. The dealership has to prove that your modifications directly cause the problems that you may encounter. If they cant do this, then they must honor the warranty.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Another more reliable dealer just confirmed this. And she said she wouldn't hesitate to put an aftermarket alarm in. Most installers won't harm the original car electronics with the alarm. But she did say that if something went wrong and it was traced to the aftermarket product it would void the warranty, but she's never come across it.

And to be fair to the first dealer, it wasn't something he was pushing on me, I inquired.

Last edited by hatchgeek; 04-20-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:48 PM
I really wish that Honda offered a Fit here that had the features of the MT sport but without the sports body enhancemants. This seems to be a rather common concern of potential customers. I had a chance to see both the base and sport at several dealers. I would love a Fit with the sports radio, 15" wheels etc. Fortunately, theres always the aftermarket. I will say that the sport looked decent in blue and great in black IMO. Of course this car is being marketed primarily to aim at teens and twenty somethings. I believe that like the Scion XA the Fit also appeals to people over 40 and those with conservative tastes.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:36 PM
The thing I don't get is that you can always add the body enhancements if you want them. Why force something on customers that turns a lot of them off. If it was left as an accessory then everybody who wanted then could still have them, and those who did not would not get them. Win win situation.

Old 04-21-2006, 04:27 PM
So does anyone have the musiclink installed in their Fit?

I saw at the Honda website that it does not support the Ipod shuffle. Does anyone know if it supports the Ipod Nano or does it have to be the full blown Ipod?

Old 04-22-2006, 02:41 PM
As far as I can tell, it has the standard iPod interface connector on it. The reason it won't support the shuffle is that the iPod shuffle has a USB connector instead of the standard iPod interface. So yeah, any iPod except for the shuffle should work just fine.

I'm a little disappointed that the base model radio handles an AUX connector, but they didn't bother to include the connector standard.

Oh well. I've got a Belkin FM iPod kit that works perfectly well. If I happen to get a raise or a bonus later, I'll see about getting the iPod kit installed.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by DRum
The thing I don't get is that you can always add the body enhancements if you want them. Why force something on customers that turns a lot of them off. If it was left as an accessory then everybody who wanted then could still have them, and those who did not would not get them. Win win situation.
Could not agree more and I am hoping that the more this gets said by folks interested in buying a Fit the more likely Honda is to make this change!

Old 04-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Josh Kirby
So does anyone have the musiclink installed in their Fit?

I saw at the Honda website that it does not support the Ipod shuffle. Does anyone know if it supports the Ipod Nano or does it have to be the full blown Ipod?
The shuffle doesn't work because it is a USB only device, but yes the Nano works. I have the Musiclink installed and really like it. However, I wouldn't bother with the Honda TTS stuff unless your library is very well organized.

Old 04-23-2006, 04:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by niugnip
I have the Musiclink installed and really like it. However, I wouldn't bother with the Honda TTS stuff unless your library is very well organized.
So does it operate off the stereo just fine? Can you give more info on your experience, thoughts, gripes, loves? My dealer said they probably would have the AUX accessory down the line, but right now Honda wants to push the Musiclink. But I haven't heard much positive about it. Details?

Old 04-23-2006, 10:45 AM
On MusicLink -- it sounds like MusicLink on the Fit won't be a problem since you're just using it for (1) control of the iPod and (2) charging the iPod -- most of the negative reviews had to do with software that ties into the Civic nav system (which we don't have on the Fit) -- so if I can get control/charging without the software hassles I think I'd do MusicLink -- otherwise I might just stick with AUX and 12v adapter

Agree with the comments about the Sport package-- Sport m/t with the wheels, cc, uprated audio and maybe the spoiler... don't need the fog lights, don't love the lower trim kit.

Today, if you look at doing base + aftermarket it doesn't make $$ sense vs. the Sport... so I ordered Storm Silver Sport m/t (should be in this week I hope) and we'll see if the lower trim kit can be demounted.

Last edited by dfish; 04-23-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dfish
Today, if you look at doing base + aftermarket it doesn't make $$ sense vs. the Sport... so I ordered Storm Silver Sport m/t (should be in this week I hope) and we'll see if the lower trim kit can be demounted.
Hey, you're ordering my car!! Jk, but I think I might just go that route too. I really want the stereo now that I think about it, the wheels are nice, and the spoiler. I checked it out when I went to the dealer and you can take the skirts off, they are basically just screwed on as far as I could tell.

Quick Reply: Music Link?