General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The JDM Topic

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:45 AM
The JDM Topic

I know I don't have my fit yet, and I may be jumping to ahead of myself, but I think that the fit is a great platform for modding, but mostly JDM stuff. I have a feeling that when I get my fit, I can do what I've always wanted to: spend a butt load of money on pointless JDM things and not worry about engine performance.

When I had my RSX Type S, I only cared about performance first, JDM second. I was saving up for a turbo, but then I just used that money to get my Evolution. With my current car, I only wanted to mod it to make it faster, but seeing how the Fit is not going to be a car to street race (engine swaps would still be sweet) and whatnot, it'll be rad to do the small things that are cool.

Anybody else's thoughts on JDM and the fit? I know JDMGD3 will chime in. he's my JDM partner in crime, I suppose. >_<

Old 04-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Lightbulb

Just follow Ben @ AJR's lead (like the rest of us)

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/a/

Old 04-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by JDMJunkie
Just follow Ben @ AJR's lead (like the rest of us)

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80
i've been watching that too for some time now.

i just want to know what do people think of the whole JDM and fit thing, and what people's plans are for it?

Old 04-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Its no new news that the Fit will probably never be a car with a big emphasis on motor tuning short of a engine swap. Even in Japan there arent a whole lot of engine mods for the L15A as far as bolt on parts and as far as anything internal, those are nonexistent for the GD3 Fit. But what makes the Fit the car it is is the fun character of it. It is light, quick responsive throttle and steering, good brakes, peppy motor but obviously no powerhouse in any stretch of the imagination. But the motor isnt anything a few bolt ons couldnt bring to life a bit more.

If you follow the Japanese Fit enthusiasts, alot of them are into cosmetics when it comes to doing up the Fit's as with alot of the small econobox small cars in Japan. Whether its outlandish big body kits or slammed suspension with rolled flared fenders with wide low offset wheels but you'll only find a handful that have anything serious done to the motor and in the case of the Fit, serious would only mean bolt ons and other little odds and ends in the motor I.E. grounding/voltage kits.

I myself will probably go the route of doing bolt ons unless Top Fuel or any other leading Japanese tuner puts out a bigger moderately boosting turbo kit that will give a bit more then 30hp for around $3k which is the case with the current turbo kit Top Fuel has for the Fit. But be prepared to spend at least 2k to 3k on JDM bolt ons depending on the route you take with parts. But for a EVO owner that's not alot of money since EVO parts dont come cheap.

Which EVO do you have by the way? I myself was very close to buying a new white EVO RS but payments came out to be too much so I had to say no. But trying to compare both car's is nothing short of rediculous as there so different. The EVO is a completely different beast.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:41 PM
hahah yeah. thats what the dealer said. i have just a normal VIII, nothing too special ^_^

it's fun and all, but with getting less then 22 miles to the gallon, paying premium gas, and the upkeep (tires, pads, etc.), it just isn't too practicle. i'd rather get something more useful (i.e. can carry my drums) and have less harsh of a ride. not to even mention insurance costs.

the only thing I'm afraid of is that when I get my fit, I'm not going to do any engine mods, so I may feel guilty because I may have such and such wing, or such and such carbon fiber hood.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Well every car isnt the same from a tuning perspective. I guess in the US, Honda has become so synonomous with tuning whether its for the purpose of looks or to go fast, people expect every Honda to be tuneable in one aspect or another. For the most part every Honda is tuneable in one way or another but some favor more engine tuning, some looks, some a bit of both which I think is what the Fit falls under. It doesnt have a whole lot of engine mods available but it does have the basics and now that it has entered the US market, I have no doubt that list will increase a bit more.

AEM will be one of the first to put out a intake kit for the Fit being a short ram or full cold air. Comptech im sure will put out something in the coming months. This will be my first Honda, I have always been a Nissan guy so I dont know all the domestic Honda tuners that well. I forgot to mention DC Sports, im sure they will put out some sort of full catback or axle-back for the Fit.

So basically what im saying is look forward to the list of engine mod options to only get longer not shorter now that the Fit has arrived to the US market.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:20 PM
yeah, i think that the engine market will be look a lot the same as the market for Scion xA and xB. it'd be kind of funny to see the Fit vs. an xB in a street race. >_<

i wonder if comptech or jackson racing would develop a super charger kit for it. or even better, maybe blitz. i've always thought it would be cool to have an xB with a blitz supercharger. the added power would really help where i live with all the mountains and whatnot.

i just hope that there is a lot of power to be unleashed through the ECU and engine while still maintaining decent gas milage and not a loud muffler. Honda really tunes their ECU's conservatively, as does Mitsubishi, so hopefully doing a I/H/E/ECU combo could do something potent. I'm not one to make a Fit fast or anything, but any little added ponies would help, I suppose.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Once I get my Fit in it will be on like Donkey Kong... Tons ordered and ready to be installed LOL...

Old 04-21-2006, 06:28 PM
grr...

i wish i knew when i was getting one. i would already have around 1g to throw into it.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
LOL I've already spent I think $6,000 LOL on it

Old 04-22-2006, 02:43 AM
BTW, Dougie... the J racing cross bar won't fit because the USDM middle seat shoulder seat belt. Remove it and get the JDM roof liner and I think you'll be in business.

Old 04-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
This might be an option later on down the road. Once an engine swap conversion is made avalable I will be stripping it and going from there. I will looking into seeing if the Cross ar will be able to be installed at that time...