General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit vs. Insight

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
Fit vs. Insight

Hey everyone. I just picked up an 09 Fit Sport a/t last week. I had gone in to get an Insight but just couldn't rationalize it in light of the price difference for what you get. Plus, I've liked the Fit ever since it debuted here in the US. My dealer wanted $4k more for an LX Insight. Anyone think, given the price of the Fit vs. how long it would take to make up the difference in mpg that this was a mistake?

From any other standpoint, I can't say I regret going with the Fit. It drives extremely well on the highway compared to what I expected. After 3 days of commuting with it, I've forgotten that it's a small car at all. My first tank, which included some spirited in town driving (just to see what she would do) got me 35.1 mpg according to the gauge. But so far on my second fillup I'm staying much closer to 40. I realize, given my long commutes, I could have probably gotten better than EPA numbers from the Insight. But I just couldn't get past the $4k given that there was nothing on that car that stood out for me as necessary vs. the Fit. Any thoughts?

Old 05-19-2009, 03:44 PM
I had the same delimma. Insight vs. Fit...which should i get. I looked at what type of driving I do the most. 80% of my driving is on a hwy or interstate with 20% stop-n-go city driving. It would take me, in my case, about 10 years to save on gas to make up for the price premium. Hybrids get good gas mileage but not enough to justify the extra cost if all you're looking at is saving money on gas. Only buy a hybrid if you care about the environment. Reminds me of health food and how it's more expensive than junk food and people wonder why americans in general are overweight, same thing applies to hybrids vs. non-hybrids.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
I gather there must me some latent Insight lust as no one's really saying anything.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
I like the new insight. It doesnt really look hybridy. If it does in its shape, it compensates with a meaner look then the prius.

Me being a person who mods, would probably keep my fit, since hybrids arent as popular in the modding scene as regular cars.

Also with the same amount of power coming from the insight, one isnt slower then the other. Theyre about equally the same in power being stock. So, I would get a fit. The hybrid no matter what would have at least a little more in the price of maintenence. The hybrid is more expensive then the fit. The hybrid doesnt save THAT much more then the fit.

I like the insight. I like my 2007 fit more though. In appearances, I dont really know about the 09. The insight looks a ...little better.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
I could care less about mods. There was a time, I spent a lot of money modding up one of my cars...then I got caught in a wreck that wasn't my fault. All that money went down the toilet. No more, I said.

As far as looks, see, that's another thing for me. I thought the Insight looked great until I saw one in person. Then I wasn't as impressed.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:18 PM
I like the insight but it isn't worth the money. I test drove the insight and I can achieve the same mpg with my 2007 fit except when driving at 60mph. The insight gets 50mpg at 60mph. So it is up to the individual and their financial status as to whether the insight is worth it. It would take 10+ years to recover the price difference if the insight gave me 70mpg and the fit gave me 43mpg.(I drive 600miles in a week!) :P By that time I will have an all electric car and the fit will be my daughter's or son's car.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bkrell
Hey everyone. I just picked up an 09 Fit Sport a/t last week. I had gone in to get an Insight but just couldn't rationalize it in light of the price difference for what you get. Plus, I've liked the Fit ever since it debuted here in the US. My dealer wanted $4k more for an LX Insight. Anyone think, given the price of the Fit vs. how long it would take to make up the difference in mpg that this was a mistake?

From any other standpoint, I can't say I regret going with the Fit. It drives extremely well on the highway compared to what I expected. After 3 days of commuting with it, I've forgotten that it's a small car at all. My first tank, which included some spirited in town driving (just to see what she would do) got me 35.1 mpg according to the gauge. But so far on my second fillup I'm staying much closer to 40. I realize, given my long commutes, I could have probably gotten better than EPA numbers from the Insight. But I just couldn't get past the $4k given that there was nothing on that car that stood out for me as necessary vs. the Fit. Any thoughts?

At $2.20 per gallon, gas will cost $18.33 more per 1000 miles if you get 30 mpg vs 40 mpg. That means you will need 218,000 miles to get the $4000 back; of course, by then you'll need a new hybrid battery and thus you never get it back. Ever. If you compare $3 per gallon it only takes 160,000 miles but then there's that battery thing again.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Exclamation It's not strictly a Fuel Economy vs Price comparison

At least it wasn't for me.

The Fit and the Insight are two very different cars.

I got the top-of-the-line Insight (EX w/ NAVI) because I wanted all the amenities. I also wanted a more upscale, more comfortable, quieter car that was easy to drive and still got great gas mileage and had the flexibility of a hatchback.

Those were the things that were lacking in my Fit, and no amount of mods and aftermarket add-ons were going to accomplish that for me.

The "Hybrid Premium" for me was $6187 in price paid difference between my 2009 Fit Sport m/t (no NAVI) and my 2010 Insight EX w/ NAVI.

I'm not an expert hypermiler like PB and H and others here. They get some amazing mileage out of the Fit. But to me, that would be a lot of effort and work and would diminish the pleasure of driving the car. So I just drove my Fit normally in my daily commuting.

Fit - 38+ mpg after 5 months (more recently 39 avg with warmer weather)
Insight - 51 mpg so far (on my second tank).

[btw the way, the Insight MPG meter is much more accurate than the Fit's]

In just fuel savings the Insight will save me about 1 tank per month. (I drive 22,000 miles/yr)

@ $2/gal = $250/yr
@ $3/gal = $375/yr
@ $4/gal = $500/yr

Does it pay for the price difference? No, it just offets it a bit.

My dealer told me the Insight's battery pack is covered under warranty for 8 years.

To me, the advantages of the Insight are:
  • More comfortable
  • Easier to drive (no shifting!)
  • Quieter
  • More solid feel to the car.
  • More upscale look to the car (from the outside)
  • Better gas mileage under any comparable conditions/techniques
  • Nice integration of audio system/NAVI/bluetooth/dash displays/climate control
  • Additional features:
    • Projector headlights
    • LED tail lights
    • Side mirror turn signals
    • Heated side mirrors
    • Electronic latch for hatch release
    • Stock rims better than those on the Fit
    • Seat height adjustment
    • MID displays: some informative, some instructional for driving efficiently
    • Rear defrost timer
    • Steering wheel controls for everything
    • Climate control instead of just heat & a/c
    • Voice recognition over climate control
    • VSA - this is a BIG plus in terms of safety and value
    • Paddle shifters!
    • Comes with center armrest/console & contains ipod cord (more convenient)
  • Lower roofline has less air resistance and instability in heavy crosswinds
  • There are some blue tints on the front lights that look cool
For my driving needs, it's better for me. So the extra cost is worth it.

In my opinion, the Fit will remain the best quality/most fun car in its class:
  • Magic Seats are better than any other car
  • Excellent headroom for a small car
  • Tons of cargo room
  • Very good power for its size
  • Fun steering

Old 05-22-2009, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
Ah, see, I'm wasn't exactly thrilled with the aminities on the Insight. At the very least, not enough to justify the premium. I was looking strictly at MPG. I have a TomTom, and while I love the Honda Nav system in my wife's 09 Odyssey, I couldn't see paying extra money for it. Especially when I'd wager that more widespread use of the XMweather that's currently offered in the Acura TL is probably right around the corner.

I average about 33,000 miles per year. Sure, eventually the Insight would have paid off. But most of the other stuff you mentioned just wasn't important to me. VSA is the only thing I wish I could have gotten, but again, I wasn't going to pay that much extra...

As far as shifting and paddle shifters, I have an auto so no worries there, either. Heck, my dealer doesn't even stock m/t Fits. The auto also remedies the quietness issue, as far as I can tell. All I hear on the highway is typical Honda road noise. At normal cruising speeds, I never see over 2500 rpms.

As far as modding goes, I have absolutely NO desire to do anything to the car. Quite honestly, I think most mods are pointless on a car like this. I modded one of my SAABs because with about $1k in upgrades, you got a car that was screaming fast. To upgrade a car just to have everything louder and all for a couple extra hp has no interest for me.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=jrlnc;658737]At least it wasn't for me.

The Fit and the Insight are two very different cars.

I got the top-of-the-line Insight (EX w/ NAVI) because I wanted all the amenities. I also wanted a more upscale, more comfortable, quieter car that was easy to drive and still got great gas mileage and had the flexibility of a hatchback.

Those were the things that were lacking in my Fit, and no amount of mods and aftermarket add-ons were going to accomplish that for me.

The "Hybrid Premium" for me was $6187 in price paid difference between my 2009 Fit Sport m/t (no NAVI) and my 2010 Insight EX w/ NAVI.

I'm not an expert hypermiler like PB and H and others here. They get some amazing mileage out of the Fit. But to me, that would be a lot of effort and work and would diminish the pleasure of driving the car. So I just drove my Fit normally in my daily commuting.

Fit - 38+ mpg after 5 months (more recently 39 avg with warmer weather)
Insight - 51 mpg so far (on my second tank).

[btw the way, the Insight MPG meter is much more accurate than the Fit's]

In just fuel savings the Insight will save me about 1 tank per month. (I drive 22,000 miles/yr)

My dealer told me the Insight's battery pack is covered under warranty for 8 years.

Did your dealer inform you that the warranty is prorated, much like tire warranty. You don't get much credit after 5 years (or 80,000 miles,

My dealer offered a lfetime warranty on the battery, my life, but then at my age that may be less than 8 years.
On the other hand the Insight is built on the Fit chassis and offers less rear seat room than the Fit. The extra 15 mpg wasn't worth it tho the mpg toys are fun to watch. Downhill it gets infinite mpg. LOL.

Last edited by mahout; 07-12-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:23 PM
WGE
5 Year Member
My wife and I haul our dogs in our two Fits. We needed the extra cargo room for the crates. Plus we both wanted manual transmissions. So, the Fit is a better choice for us. Our annual mileages are in the typical 12K range, so the price differential payback due to fuel efficiency differences would be long. Plus, I've enjoyed the ability to bring a standard sized washing machine and two LaZBoy reclining chairs home without paying for delivery. We have been very pleased with our Fits and the new Insights wouldn't have been as versatile for our needs.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
The Insight II is a 80% Fit. Anyone that looks at one will see right away it's based on a Fit

Old 05-25-2009, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Ah, see, I'm wasn't exactly thrilled with the aminities on the Insight. At the very least, not enough to justify the premium. I was looking strictly at MPG. I have a TomTom, and while I love the Honda Nav system in my wife's 09 Odyssey, I couldn't see paying extra money for it. Especially when I'd wager that more widespread use of the XMweather that's currently offered in the Acura TL is probably right around the corner.

I average about 33,000 miles per year. Sure, eventually the Insight would have paid off. But most of the other stuff you mentioned just wasn't important to me. VSA is the only thing I wish I could have gotten, but again, I wasn't going to pay that much extra...

As far as shifting and paddle shifters, I have an auto so no worries there, either. Heck, my dealer doesn't even stock m/t Fits. The auto also remedies the quietness issue, as far as I can tell. All I hear on the highway is typical Honda road noise. At normal cruising speeds, I never see over 2500 rpms.

As far as modding goes, I have absolutely NO desire to do anything to the car. Quite honestly, I think most mods are pointless on a car like this. I modded one of my SAABs because with about $1k in upgrades, you got a car that was screaming fast. To upgrade a car just to have everything louder and all for a couple extra hp has no interest for me.
I'm torn between the two right now. The Fit is more useful, and more fun to drive, and has some higher feature content at the most expensive model (no XM in the Insight? WHY!?!?!?!). But the Insight is a bigger conversation piece, more comfortable (up front, anyway), and gets better MPG (of course) without hypermiling.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member

I'm torn between the two right now. The Fit is more useful, and more fun to drive, and has some higher feature content at the most expensive model (no XM in the Insight? WHY!?!?!?!). But the Insight is a bigger conversation piece, more comfortable (up front, anyway), and gets better MPG (of course) without hypermiling.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think the fit and insight compare. The price range is too wide. I think the insight is aligned more to the defecting accord owners that were going to the prius.

The fit is honda's econocar. Not everyone wants to be an econo car driver.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
The Insight was/is not meant to target downgrading Accord drivers. It was meant to bring people into a Honda-based hybrid and at a lower price than they could have gotten a Prius for. At the same time, it was meant to be a hybrid that would-be greenies could buy as an image car since it is a stand alone, hybrid-only model. Honestly, the two are different animals. The Prius is a much bigger car than the Insight. As for price, a top of the line Fit Sport with Navi and an Insight LX are the same price.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:16 PM
I always wanted one of the original insites, but now the more that I thinking about going Insight over fit (I love the look and feel of the new insights) I don't see how they justify the "green" aspect of the car, its still a petrol engine, and it still has heavy environmentally friendly batteries.

I really want the Hydrogren/Electric Honda that they test drove on Top Gear. That is my idea version of a "green" car.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
I'd still call the Insight a very green car. It's still got high mpg and it's even got the whole ecoassist thing that provides drivers with very visual feeback on how their driving habits are impacting fuel economy...Sorta like Scanguage on steroids.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Fit or Insight?

I like the styling of the Insight, but picked tha Fit because of price, and it had all the goodies that I use. Don't need navi, because I can read a map. (anyway, my wife has a TomTom that she plays with. It keeps her amused, and quiet.) As far as green goes, I am a science teacher, and global warming is a joke. Saturn and Jupiter have been warming at the same rate, over that same time. It is caused by the Sun, and volcanic activity. Man has nothing to do with it, and paying thousands for a "green' car that has no real effect is a waste of money. The fit is comfortable, reasonably priced, cheap to drive and versatile.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
If I had all the money in the world I would get an Insight over a Fit but if I had all the money in the world I would get both. The insight just isn't worth the premium, IMO.

Quick Reply: Fit vs. Insight