General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Long (!) review of automatic vs. manual Fit Sport (US)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 09:35 AM
spreadhead...
My Sport A/T can access 5 gears in S mode (or so it indicates on the tach). I put the selector in "S" tap the "+" paddle and can "m" shift up to "5".

Old 06-12-2006, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolfDoc
spreadhead...
My Sport A/T can access 5 gears in S mode (or so it indicates on the tach). I put the selector in "S" tap the "+" paddle and can "m" shift up to "5".
I meant in S mode without using the paddles. When I do this it only does 1-3, not 1-4 as the manual states. Using the paddles it will use all gears. I guess I wasn't clear.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spreadhead
I meant in S mode without using the paddles. When I do this it only does 1-3, not 1-4 as the manual states. Using the paddles it will use all gears. I guess I wasn't clear.
Maybe b/c you could hit governed top speed w/o going to 4th??

Old 06-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
S mode is supposed to be for using paddles only. You're probably pushing the car to shift because it's getting close to redline?

Old 06-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Mine's the same... 3rd is top gear w/o paddle use.
Question: Why select "S" if not using paddles?

Old 06-12-2006, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Question: Why select "S" if not using paddles?
Answer: To keep the transmission from cycling between forth and fifth gears in stop-and-go driving.

The following is quoted from the 2007 Honda Fit Owners Manual page 154:
"On Sport model
S position(S) - To shift into the S position, press the release lever, and move the lever to S. This position is similar to D except only gears from first to fourth are selected. S position keep(s) the transmission from cycling between fourth and fifth gears in stop-and-go driving"

Old 06-13-2006, 12:53 AM
Answer: To keep the transmission from cycling between forth and fifth gears in stop-and-go driving.

"On Sport model
S position(S) - To shift into the S position, press the release lever, and move the lever to S. This position is similar to D except only gears from first to fourth are selected. S position keep(s) the transmission from cycling between fourth and fifth gears in stop-and-go driving"
Thanks for the answer, however my "S" doesn't lock in 4th or 5th.
ex: Flat road, steady 40 mph, 1500 rpm, 5th gear... come up to about 5% grade, will feel down shift and increase to about 1800 rpm. After grade & back to flat road, up shift to 1500 rpm. All without touching paddles or depressing the accelerator more. The "m5" indicator does not change. I'm thinking the tranny might be unlocking 5th for the incline and then relocking.
Fantastic technology at work and most of the time, I'm content to let it happen.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:55 AM
5 Year Member
Can you slide between D and S while driving? Does it allow you to freely pull into S without having to push the release knob? Like just sliding from N into D.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:06 AM
yes u can, i do it all the time

Old 06-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by fm2n
Can you slide between D and S while driving? Does it allow you to freely pull into S without having to push the release knob? Like just sliding from N into D.
My A/T needs release to move "D" to "S" but not "S" to "D".

Old 06-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Great Review --Sounds like a great Car

Old 06-14-2006, 07:31 AM
s mode stay in gear longer then usual, i use s mode when i feel like i want to trash the jazz around. best gear to stay in if you are tracking your jazz/fit but only when you use the manual mode as well.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:31 AM
s mode stay in gear longer then usual, i use s mode when i feel like i want to trash the jazz around. best gear to stay in if you are tracking your jazz/fit but only when you use the manual mode as well.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
With all this talk about MT V AT I haven't seen any ref. to real world testing between 2 cars.

I guess Daniel and I will have to go up to Gimli for a shoot-out.
2 A-silver streaks going by. LOL

Old 06-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the answer, however my "S" doesn't lock in 4th or 5th.
ex: Flat road, steady 40 mph, 1500 rpm, 5th gear... come up to about 5% grade, will feel down shift and increase to about 1800 rpm. After grade & back to flat road, up shift to 1500 rpm. All without touching paddles or depressing the accelerator more. The "m5" indicator does not change. I'm thinking the tranny might be unlocking 5th for the incline and then relocking.
Fantastic technology at work and most of the time, I'm content to let it happen.
If your indicator reads "m5" then you have switched to "manual" hence the "m". So at some point you have used the paddles. If you goto S mode and do not touch the paddles, it will not display what gear you are in.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by HondaFamily
If your indicator reads "m5" then you have switched to "manual" hence the "m". So at some point you have used the paddles. If you goto S mode and do not touch the paddles, it will not display what gear you are in.
True, as mentioned in earlier post, my A/T only shifts twice to 3rd gear without using the paddles. Once in that 3rd gear, if + paddle is used, the tranny upshifts and the indicator will appear showing "m4".

Old 07-01-2006, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member

"On Sport model
Now, I know why, there is an ‘S’ mode.
Fortunately, I don’t need it with the CVT transmission, since there is no need to block the gear from changing the ratio even during stop-and-go driving.

Old 07-02-2006, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
i have a question guys....i have a 7-speed CVT 1.5l version....

for example from start (0 kph) i shift my stick to "S" (using paddle shift) then i step on the gas upto 80 kph.......my question is.. it safe to shift from "S" to "D" during when running at this speed?

Old 07-05-2006, 10:16 PM
IMO the sport auto may be a more versatile car to have relative to the MT, but i still love to manipulate the clutch myself, esp. in the mountain runs.

not heel-toeing at corners just feel so strange.....

i'm not complaining though, i love my sport AT gotta finish the freakin break-in asap

Old 07-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Why I chose an auto transmission

I love to drive a standard; there's nothing more fun than speed shifting, even in a smaller car (maybe it's even more fun in a smaller car). However, I must commute 18 miles through Portland for my work, spending anywhere from 20 minutes to 1.5 hours each way, depending on traffic. I absolutely HATE to sit in traffic, each minute or so rolling forward another 100 feet. But it's a reality here in the northwest. I can't help but think that all the starting/stopping is worse on a clutch than it is on an auto tranny. Hence, I'm driving a Sport Auto.

After 2500 miles on the car I've learned this regarding mileage - the Sport Auto isn't as good as a manual in city driving, but it's stellar on the highway. Cruising at 80, my tach registers around 2900 RPM and I can easily break 40 mpg. Wow, now that's cruising.

Quick Reply: Long (!) review of automatic vs. manual Fit Sport (US)