General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Long (!) review of automatic vs. manual Fit Sport (US)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Wessy
We then drove a 5-speed manual-equipped Fit Sport, but limited our time behind the wheel of this model to mostly city and a little bit of highway driving, since we were both more interested in the automatic version...
Several good points, but seems like a self fulfilling review...."since we were both more interested in the automatic version" is not an objective basis for saying the automatic is this and that better. I have the M/T and very happy with it. Not begrudging A/T owners (happy for you too). If anyone out there is interested in the M/T, suggest to talk to other M/T owners...

Old 10-16-2006, 03:11 PM
If your buying a Fit, I suggest going for the Automatic Fit Sport. My wife bought the Fit Sport Manual. The performance difference between the Manual and Fit Sport with Padal Shifters is minimal, as is gas mileage.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:57 AM
I'm extremely happy with my Fit Sport Automatic. In automatic mode it shifts nice and smoothly for an entry level car (probably the best auto tranny in the price range) and the sport mode offers pretty quick shifts and most of the fun of having a manual transmission. As you can tell, I'm happy with my choice and I'm a die-hard manual guy. I was hesitant about getting the auto until I tried it.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Operate an AT Fit like a MT?

In the owner's manual:

"By upshifting and downshifting through 1, 2, D3 and D you can operate the transmission much like a manual transmission without a clutch pedal."

I wonder if it's going to hurt the transmission if I really drive it as if I am driving a manual - shift from 1, 2, D3 an D at start and downshifting to slow down the car.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:01 PM
sam
Super Moderator
Downshifting to slow down is not really that great of an idea in a manual either.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by sam
Downshifting to slow down is not really that great of an idea in a manual either.
i down shift to slow down sometimes, its not bad if you do it right and rev match it. but in an automatic youll wear out your transmission much faster shifting it yourself

Old 10-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Impressions and feel of manual transmission

I'm looking to buy a Fit. I test drove an automatic and really enjoyed it. I've always preferred manuals though, and with the car being pre-sold upon arrival at so many dealerships, I'm finding it very hard to get an impression of what the manual is like.

I tested a Scion xA, and the clutch pedal was too light and mushy it was really annoying. The shift itself was nothing special. Overall, it was just flimsy feeling, like I was interacting with a toy car or an arcade game.

The Mazda3 I drove had a nice pedal feel, and the shifts were a little thick, but solid.

My previous car was an RX-8, who's tranmission was sublime, second only to an S2000, IMO.

Can anyone describe the feel of the manual?

Old 10-19-2006, 09:38 PM
hahaha I just replied to you on TOV. Check it!

Old 10-19-2006, 10:15 PM
should have bout the sport with tiptronic paddle shifting

Old 10-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Well, I guess I was lucky enough to test a manual one.

Shifter feel is nice. Shifts are crisp and a little stiff. They give a sporty feel. Throws seem to be short also.

Clutch is SOFT! When I went to start the car I thought I almost pushed the pedal through the floor. It sounded that way also.
Im sure its due to the fact that my clutch in my Mx6 is an ACT. Its rather stiff.

Its going to take some getting use to.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Well, I guess I was lucky enough to test a manual one.

Shifter feel is nice. Shifts are crisp and a little stiff. They give a sporty feel. Throws seem to be short also.

Clutch is SOFT! When I went to start the car I thought I almost pushed the pedal through the floor. It sounded that way also.
Im sure its due to the fact that my clutch in my Mx6 is an ACT. Its rather stiff.

Its going to take some getting use to.
Nah, having some older ones that were STIFF, this one is nice, especially on older knees in daily traffic.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
I test drove both (auto and standard fit) and just found the manual more fun to drive. Clutch is agreed by most others as soft, shifting is smooth/quick-directly comparable to a manual RSX (imo) if you've driven one of those. I too prefer manual over auto, so I went w/it. Good luck finding your fit!

Old 10-19-2006, 11:26 PM
I drive an Integra GS-R, but i got to test drive a Fit sport mt with my dad. The shifter felt nice and not as notchy as my Integra. The clutch was really light, it didnt take much to press it down, compaired to my car which requires a bit more pressure, it was almost a treat to drive. I found that car very easy to drive, light clutch, nice shifter, and forgiving.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:30 PM
I test drove both model back to back so I got a good comparsion bewteen them(for myself )

Usually Manul feels alittle quicker for me on most Honda, the Fit is about the same between both tranny... SLOW

Clutch feel was average. Shifter feels solid, almost alittle too firm for a factory eco box car... I like it

I didn't like the paddle shift thing... M/T may not be faster but it makes you feel like you're going fast... lol

If you want a base model, go get a M/T. If you want a Sport, stick with A/T. That way you don't have to wait 3 month before you even get one. Good luck

Last edited by outlawhonda; 10-19-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:31 PM
If you want to shift gears, then you should have bought a Manual. Automatics are for lazy people who want the car to shift gears so they dont have to. you should have at least bought a sport AT.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
I've still haven't heard if its safe to coast in Neutral down hill... or comming to a light. Some people get better MPG using the paddle shifters. (years of driving an 86 or was it 89 auto civic... I can change gears with only using the gas pedal.) I think since the car is DBW shifting down every now and then to pass someone would be okay... but I wouldn't make a habit of it... I mean, why pay more for an auto car if you arn't gonna use the auto drive?

Old 10-19-2006, 11:49 PM
I just drove a friend's White Sport Manual, and was very impressed with the tranny. Coming from an S2000, this is high praise. While the Fit doesn't have the short throws of the S, the silky smoothness is at least as good, if not better. The clutch took a while to get used to, though - much lighter than the S, lighter than my Civic (though that's 13 years old, so probably a bad comparison). Not mushy though, just low effort. I liked it after I got used to it. I'm sure I will enjoy mine (if it ever shows up...)

JonasM

Old 10-20-2006, 02:06 AM
i got a sport manual fit, ive let my friends drive it the loved the clutch because they were tired of their stiff ones. but i have to say, on cold mornings the transmission feels a little notchy, especially second gear but after ten minutes of driving it's smooth again. but then again i guess it's like that in all cars....

Old 10-20-2006, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by JonasM
I just drove a friend's White Sport Manual, and was very impressed with the tranny. Coming from an S2000, this is high praise. While the Fit doesn't have the short throws of the S, the silky smoothness is at least as good, if not better. The clutch took a while to get used to, though - much lighter than the S, lighter than my Civic (though that's 13 years old, so probably a bad comparison). Not mushy though, just low effort. I liked it after I got used to it. I'm sure I will enjoy mine (if it ever shows up...)

JonasM
Jonas drove my Fit, and I agree with him 100%, I am having a lot of fun driving this car

Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bmt3102
In the owner's manual:

"By upshifting and downshifting through 1, 2, D3 and D you can operate the transmission much like a manual transmission without a clutch pedal."

I wonder if it's going to hurt the transmission if I really drive it as if I am driving a manual - shift from 1, 2, D3 an D at start and downshifting to slow down the car.
I tried to start another discussion about the D3 auto tran. , but seems the MT guys have all the answers even though they don't drive the D3.

I like the option of having manual 1 and 2 for starting off in sub-zero weather when you don't want the cold tranny to shift until it loosens up.

And with our snow & ice, I like having an option from the auto shifting for better traction. I also like the D3 keeping to only 3rd. gear in city traffic. Rock on.

If Honda suggests in the manual it is O.K. to shift that way, go with it.
Enjoy the best of both worlds, AT and MT.

Quick Reply: Long (!) review of automatic vs. manual Fit Sport (US)