General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Same fit, same engine, different mpg

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Question Same fit, same engine, different mpg

Correct me if I am wrong. How come our Fit's mpg is 38mpg and the same fit in the rest of the world gets 48mpg.

I don't get it.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm guessing because ours is heavier due to all of the added safely features. I'm sure that the bumpers being beefed up were not the only things to get it on NA roads...

Old 04-25-2006, 11:14 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Recapitulating all the other threads on this... the NA Fit gets slightly lower mileage than the rest of the world because:

3. Unique (heavier) body;
2. Unique transmission (auto) or gearing (standard);

And the reason the US Fit gets 38mpg while the identical Canadian Fit gets 45mpg:

1. Unique undersized gallons.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:24 AM
I think there are many reasons why the NA Fit has lower mileage than versions sold overseas. Crozewski touched on a few of them.

Here is my list:
Body Weight: Larger bumpers (front is 6" longer), 250lbs+ more
Performance Gearing: Final drive is much shorter
Different Mileage testing environment: Japan for example has 80Km/hr speed limit on many highways. If you drove the NA Fit at a steady 50 Mph you would do much better than 38 Mpg.

We've gone over this in other threads too if you want to see some of the other opinions out there.

D

Old 04-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Could it also be that the rest of the world uses the Imperial Gallon as opposed to the U.S. Gallon when rating fuel economy? The Imperial Gallon is bigger, which inflates the M.P.G.

For instance, in Canada we say that the Fit gets 50MPG as rated by the Imperial Gallon.

I know there are different engines available for the Fit/Jazz internationally, but I thought I would bring up the obvious possibility?

Old 04-25-2006, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Fits abroad are available with multiple (smaller) engine choices and CVT transmissions. It is the smaller engined CVT cars that get the great fuel economy. I'm sure that these engines are determined to be unsuitable for the US market.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Not again.

1 Imperial gallons is approximately 1.2 US gallons.

A car listed as doing 38 mpg in the US would be listed as doing 46 mpg in other countries that don't use US gallons.

The rest is probably due to a combination of factors mentioned above.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Probably so their hybrid sales are not adversely effected.

It is hard to sell a civic hybrid for ~10K more than a Fit.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:51 AM
The EPA dumbs down their tests on highway mpg by subtracting 22% from the number they actually measure. To get the measured number multiply the highway mileage by 1.28. This will give you 48 mpg for the US Fit, which should be doable if you drive 55-60 or so.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:21 AM
Not sure how anyone can say anything about Japan using imperial gallons when gallons is a US standard measurement for Volume unlike Litre's which is a metric Volume measurement which is how fuel usage in Japan is measure, KM/L not MPG like the US. I have the Japanese Fit Brochure and it is listed stated that the 1.5 Fit gets 20.5km/l, im too tired to do the conversion now but if someone wants to do it there more then welcome to.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Just ask google:

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...29&btnG=Search

20.5 * (kilometers per litre) = 48.2189898 miles per US gallon

Old 04-26-2006, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Actually the Heading of this thread is off a bit. It isn't the same car or engine as the rest of the Jazz world. It is made in only one factory in Japan for NA. Longer chassis, larger engine, diff tran. Even between Canada and the U.S. model.

This is the converter I use;

http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

Old 04-26-2006, 10:12 PM
That sounds good.

Originally Posted by DRum
The EPA dumbs down their tests on highway mpg by subtracting 22% from the number they actually measure. To get the measured number multiply the highway mileage by 1.28. This will give you 48 mpg for the US Fit, which should be doable if you drive 55-60 or so.
A lot of my driving will be at 55 or 60 so the better mpg will be nice.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by oldspark
A lot of my driving will be at 55 or 60 so the better mpg will be nice.
Report back once you have measured a few tanks.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:48 PM
There are 2 reasons why the mpg is different. Firstly the US Fit has a 1.5L engine whereas in most of the rest of the world (England where I live included) has either a 1.2L or a 1.4L (but nearer 1.3L) engines.

Secondly as other people have already said the imperial gallon is used in many other places (that dont use litres) such as England, Australia, etc., and since that is about 20% larger the mpg is 20% more.

Another possible reason is that in the US you have a standard automatic gearbox, which reduces the mpg more than the more efficient CVT auto box used in most other places.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kps
Recapitulating all the other threads on this... the NA Fit gets slightly lower mileage than the rest of the world because:

3. Unique (heavier) body;
2. Unique transmission (auto) or gearing (standard);

And the reason the US Fit gets 38mpg while the identical Canadian Fit gets 45mpg:

1. Unique undersized gallons.
The bodies are the same, it is just loaded up with heavier rebars, more airbags, and such to pass/please NA regulations (like the bumpers, e.t.c., other then that it is the same shell though). The transmission maybe unique (our gearing is very short). I'am at my first 100 miles and the tank is just a little bit above the halfway mark. I've found that after the break in period is when you will see a significant rise in fuel efficiency.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:14 PM
There is a conspiracy by the oil companies to keep you buying gas.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Daņiel
There is a conspiracy by the oil companies to keep you buying gas.
The car companies are in on this fun little game too.

Hard to imagine 100 years since the model T and there hasn't been a "significant" efficiency improvement. Granted the Model T didn't have AC, power steering, power brakes.

Please don't tell me that the civic hybrid and prius are significant improvement that warranted 100 years to invent.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Blazer Deli
The car companies are in on this fun little game too.

Hard to imagine 100 years since the model T and there hasn't been a "significant" efficiency improvement. Granted the Model T didn't have AC, power steering, power brakes.

Please don't tell me that the civic hybrid and prius are significant improvement that warranted 100 years to invent.
Think of this, GM and Ford have been building cars for about 100 years. Yet still, the clear coat on the paint will peal in a few years. After 100 years they still can't even paint a car right, never mind build an efficient car.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:22 PM
How fast are you driving?

Originally Posted by ieldib
The bodies are the same, it is just loaded up with heavier rebars, more airbags, and such to pass/please NA regulations (like the bumpers, e.t.c., other then that it is the same shell though). The transmission maybe unique (our gearing is very short). I'am at my first 100 miles and the tank is just a little bit above the halfway mark. I've found that after the break in period is when you will see a significant rise in fuel efficiency.
I drove mine home frome the dealer (80 miles) and the gauge did not move much at all, less than a quarter tank and that was at 60 mph most of the time with a little bit at 65 and some at 58 or so.

Quick Reply: Same fit, same engine, different mpg