General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda Care Extended Warranty - Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Here's my situation:

I don't drive too much, maybe 8k miles a year.

I plan to keep the car as long as I can. For at least 5-8 years.

Thinking of getting the 8yr/100k Honda Care plan.

What do y'all think? Is it a good idea for my case?

myke

Old 07-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Here's my situation:

I don't drive too much, maybe 8k miles a year.

I plan to keep the car as long as I can. For at least 5-8 years.

Thinking of getting the 8yr/100k Honda Care plan.

What do y'all think? Is it a good idea for my case?

myke
You don't drive much. The car should easily last that long.

I'm trying to think of all that went wrong with my old VW. It came with the electrical problem. I bought it used in 91, it was an 86, and last ran in Dec 2007. Then I walked for that next year and ditched it when I got the Fit.

I had brake pads done, and hoses and belts. A few oil changes. Tires, once, not because the tread was worn out, but because the rubber was drying out from the hot summer temperatures.

That electrical problem was diagnosed as all kinds of things, but was never fixed. So I did have an alternator. I had something put on, not because the part itself broken, but because the rubber boots were drying out too and cracking.

I had it 15 years, it lasted 20, and if it wasn't for the electrical problem, I'd still be driving it. It had over 100,000 miles on it. I got it with about 60,000, I think.

I think all the things I had done, other than that electrical, were things that would not have been covered under something similar to Honda Care. They were "routine". And since nobody ever did figure out what the darn problem was with the electrical, it wouldn't have helped much to have any kind of warranty.

It would also depend on HOW you drive and WHERE you drive. Drive it hard and it might not last as long. Drive it gently, then it should last longer. Extreme temperatures/conditions probably cause a lot of premature wear.

You get more and better local service via your AAA office for most of the things mentioned in that part of the Honda Care program. And considering the number of Hondas on the road that are 10-15-20 or more years old, I don't know if you'd really need the Honda Care. You just don't drive that much.

I just did a quick search at Edmunds for used Hondas. Within 100 miles of me. Selling prices are about $3,000 for 90-91 models, with close to 200,000 miles on them. They're still going.

Cars that are taken care of will continue to look and run pretty darn good.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I don't really drive that much. I use my scooter and motorcycle as much as I can.

I don't drive hard either. I'm a pretty relaxed driver, definitely not a lead foot.

Live in Southern California Long Beach area, so we never see any temperature extremes. No snow, and rains maybe twice a year, LOL.

myke

Old 07-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Although I got the HondaCare warranty on my 2006 Civic, I wasn't thinking about getting it on my Fit. However, after working with the finance guy on Monday when I bought the car, and after he realized that I was a no-nonsense type of guy, he offered me the 6yr/120k mile/0 deductible HondaCare warranty for $799, which (according to him and I believe him) was as low as Honda is authorized to sell that one for. The way I look at it is that it costs me $15 (or one pizza) a month to know that I won't have to worry about anything for 120k miles. I'll hit the miles before I make it to 6 years for sure. It's more of an insurance policy for me, and I won't have to worry about it now. Opinions vary. For me, it was worth the $15 a month for peace of mind.

Warner

Old 07-30-2009, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by warner
Although I got the HondaCare warranty on my 2006 Civic, I wasn't thinking about getting it on my Fit. However, after working with the finance guy on Monday when I bought the car, and after he realized that I was a no-nonsense type of guy, he offered me the 6yr/120k mile/0 deductible HondaCare warranty for $799, which (according to him and I believe him) was as low as Honda is authorized to sell that one for. The way I look at it is that it costs me $15 (or one pizza) a month to know that I won't have to worry about anything for 120k miles. I'll hit the miles before I make it to 6 years for sure. It's more of an insurance policy for me, and I won't have to worry about it now. Opinions vary. For me, it was worth the $15 a month for peace of mind.

Warner
Be sure to read all the fine print. If you ever use the vehicle for any kind of purpose in which money changes hands, the warranty is void. Whether or not you have a business license or use it as a taxi. Page 4 of the sample contract.

You can give up the pizza to pay for the contract, but don't ever deliver it...LOL! Taking your neighbor to the store for $10.00...could void the warranty.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Be sure to read all the fine print. If you ever use the vehicle for any kind of purpose in which money changes hands, the warranty is void. Whether or not you have a business license or use it as a taxi. Page 4 of the sample contract.

You can give up the pizza to pay for the contract, but don't ever deliver it...LOL! Taking your neighbor to the store for $10.00...could void the warranty.

I'll keep that in mind.

Warner

Old 07-30-2009, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
The thing I worry about warranties (and insurance) is that, when you actually need to use them, the issuers have an uncanny ability to find a reason to not pay.

I mean, why is it always such a long contract? Is there that much fine print? Does anyone know Honda's record for paying claims? (That's another can-o-worms....I wish insurance companies were required to tell you the total percentage of client claims that they have actually paid.)

Maybe I'm too suspicious. Cro_Driver got paid on his Civic Hybrid. I'd love to hear more success stories...has anyone else had a positive experience in collecting on their Honda warranty?

Last edited by MrLucky; 07-30-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
I got the warranty that covers me to 100K bumper to bumper. It's called a vehicle wrap around warranty and covers EVERYTHING, except for regular maintenence things like flushes, brakes, etc.

The salesman didn't even mention the warranty to me. I asked about it cause a friend told me about it from when he bought his civic. When I did ask about it he told me about the details and told me if I NEVER use the warranty, I GET MY MONEY BACK. I didn't think he was serious, gotta be joking. He said "I could even put it in writing." I said "Yeah, I'll need that in writing", and actually got it.

I'm not taking any chances on Honda transmisisons. Some of their models have had crap trannies like the 97-01 Prelude and the 98-02 Accord. I don't want to walk into the dealership and be suprised by a hefty repair bill.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by MrLucky
The thing I worry about warranties (and insurance) is that, when you actually need to use them, the issuers have an uncanny ability to find a reason to not pay.

I mean, why is it always such a long contract? Is there that much fine print? Does anyone know Honda's record for paying claims? (That's another can-o-worms....I wish insurance companies were required to tell you the total percentage of client claims that they have actually paid.)

Maybe I'm too suspicious. Cro_Driver got paid on his Civic Hybrid. I'd love to hear more success stories...has anyone else had a positive experience in collecting on their Honda warranty?

The HondaCare warranties are pretty comprehensive and are highly rated...

Warner

Old 07-30-2009, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
The HondaCare warranties are pretty comprehensive and are highly rated...

Warner
That's fine, but I'm curious how they are rated by members of this forum who have had a real-life experience making a claim.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by MrLucky
That's fine, but I'm curious how they are rated by members of this forum who have had a real-life experience making a claim.
Good point. With almost 100k miles on my Civic (2006) I haven't had a single problem with it so I can't tell you. I did get the 120k warranty and the drivers side sun visor is broken, so maybe I'll find out soon. But you are correct...it would be nice to hear from some folks who actually had a claim on theirs. I suspect that I won't have a claim on either of the cars I have under contract...which wouldn't hurt my feelings, either. Like I said I view it as an insurance policy on the car.

Warner

Old 07-30-2009, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Good point. With almost 100k miles on my Civic (2006) I haven't had a single problem with it so I can't tell you. I did get the 120k warranty and the drivers side sun visor is broken, so maybe I'll find out soon. But you are correct...it would be nice to hear from some folks who actually had a claim on theirs. I suspect that I won't have a claim on either of the cars I have under contract...which wouldn't hurt my feelings, either. Like I said I view it as an insurance policy on the car.

Warner
Insurance companies make money by not having to pay. But not in a mean or nasty way (although some companies can be both)...

Consider it to be a pooled resource. Ten people pitch in $800, that's $8,000. It won't fix everything for everyone every time. But if ONE of the group has a major problem, it's covered.

All that fine print comes into play to help prevent fraud. And to encourage individual responsibility. If people take good care of their car, and it's already a good car, should some strange unusual thing happen, you're covered.

But if someone abuses their car, not only will the car break down faster, but the insurance or the Honda Care is a lot less likely to come through.

Next time you see someone racing around on public streets, weaving in and out of traffic on the freeway, do you think they deserve the same kind of coverage through Honda Care? Do you think their car is more likely to fail over time, due to abuse?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Good point Taffeta.

Anybody else hear that you can get your money back if you never use the warranty itself or it's benefits? I actually read the whole agreement, I mean everything. You really do get $$$ back. I though it was a scam but after reading through, it really is awesome.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Fitguy07
Good point Taffeta.

Anybody else hear that you can get your money back if you never use the warranty itself or it's benefits? I actually read the whole agreement, I mean everything. You really do get $$$ back. I though it was a scam but after reading through, it really is awesome.

I'm a bit confused...is this valid for all Honda Care warranties? Even when purchased online?

Old 08-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by jamesco411
I'm a bit confused...is this valid for all Honda Care warranties? Even when purchased online?

I hope we get a clear answer on this one! I have a 2006 Civic that I bought the Hondacare warranty on but haven't had to use yet. I have a sun visor that's acting up, but I'm not going to blow getting a full refund on the HondaCare warranty to fix a freakin' sun visor! Someone find out about this for sure!!!

Thanks!

Warner

Old 08-08-2009, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Just bought a 09' Tidewater Blue M/T Sport last night.

Had the Saccucci Honda Care Warranty pricing with me, and the finance lady said they don't accept Honda Care and here's this other 7 Yr/100K warranty for $1595. I shrugged and told her not interested. Then she started trying to sell it, and I pointed out that I drove 60 miles to this dealership, and any special offers that this dealership provides are lost on me. I'm not driving 60 miles for a special one-off service.

With all the electronics (power windows, doors, etc) and experience with bad stuff happening (my 97 Mustang Cobra blew the tranny 1500 miles and 6 months before the end of the 6 yr/75K mile which would have cost me $4k to fix) and the move from fixing to replacing (ever tried to get a power window motor in your door replaced? They replace the door now), I'm more than happy to fork over some insurance money to keep from being "surprised" in the future. My last extended warranty covered nearly $7k worth of repairs during the extra 3 years and 39K miles it was valid. I've never made 700% over 3 years, let alone 100% in "investing".

Old 08-09-2009, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm my dealer didn't even mention extending the warranty. My last honda was an 03 Element. I extendedd the warranty to the 7yr coverage dont' remember what i paid. But i traded it in after 1 yr 1/2 so that money went to waste.
A few cars before that I had a 92 Accord DX that i sold to a friend w/ a bit over a 100k miles i had an extended warranty that i transfered to him. He continued to drive the car to 180k w/ not one problem and never used that warranty (another bunch of $$ down the drain). He ended up just donating it, problem free because he just wanted a new car.
So this time i'm not going to extend the warranty, hope this Honda won't let me down :-)

Old 08-09-2009, 11:28 PM
It's a scam.

Do this, add up the extra money you pay per month. For me they wanted to charge $50, then when I told him I used to be a mechanic he dropped it to $30 a month.

Let's say $30 a month for a 4 year extended warranty. 30 * 12 *4 = $1, 440

You can buy damn near any part for that.

That is also IF it breaks. Now add on 5 years, 6 years, 7 to that payment and you will see just how much of a money maker it is for them.

I personally chose to bet with the odds in my favor instead of just paying the extra cash each month.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm... at first, I definitely thought I wasn't going to get the warranty, but after reading up on it... it doesn't seem so bad.

Seems like an 09 fit would be $810 for 8 years/100k miles with $0 deductible. That's roughly $100 a year. Considering it comes with roadside assistance, which is probably $60 a year if you go the AAA route, it doesn't seem so bad.

How does the warranty deal with repairs? For example, suppose I hit a dear and it takes out my A/C condenser and radiator... I get it fixed with Honda parts, if I have a problem with it later, is it covered? (It's a bit difficult to tell from reading the fine print in the warranty).

Based on previous Honda's I or my family have owned, I can't imagine anything electrical going wrong in 8 years... the only unknowns are 1) the five-speed automatic, 2) the VSA system, and 3) the navigation system in my car. The transmission, I'm guessing if there was a problem out of warranty Honda would cover some of the cost, based on what they did with their previous 5-speed auto fiasco, the VSA system is probably as reliable as ABS, and the navigation system, well, if it breaks I'd probably just put in an aftermarket head unit.

So I'm still debating... I still have a few thousand miles to decide though .

Old 08-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by lostpacket
Let's say $30 a month for a 4 year extended warranty. 30 * 12 *4 = $1, 440

You can buy damn near any part for that.
True....*IF* you are the type of person that keeps $1440+ laying around for a major car repair. Or if the total cost of covered repairs never exceeds $1440. A single repair may cost $1440, but multiple repairs over time could cost more.

As with other insurance policies, it's a complete waste of money...unless you actually need it.

If it doesn't make financial sense because you can afford to pay out of pocket whenever necessary, then no reason to get it.

Quick Reply: Honda Care Extended Warranty - Is it worth it?