General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Inexpensive Seat Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
Inexpensive Seat Covers?

I went into a local Advanced Auto Parts store the other day and spied this Walmart.ca: Alpena - Interior Makeover Kit Innisbrook, Contains: 2 Bucket Seat Covers 1 Bench Seat Cover Fits Sub-compact, compact, and midsize cars and trucks Completely re-styles the interior of your vehicle set of seat covers for about $60. They are the Alpena Innisbrook "Interior Makeover Kit" -- it includes 2 covers for the front bucket seats, suitable for the side airbags, and 1 bench seat cover for the rear seat, it claims to be compatible with the split seats. It comes in a color scheme that is perfectly suitable for the pre-existing interior.

Does anybody have any experience with them? Or know of a similar kit, or separately available but matching seat covers? Or other inexpensive seat covers that may be available that might be better compatible with the whole 2nd row magic seat options?

I tried reading other threads on seat covers and they seem to all be dwelling on rather expensive options...

Old 08-07-2009, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by interestingstuff
...and 1 bench seat cover for the rear seat, it claims to be compatible with the split seats.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:48 AM
anyone have GT seat covers or another brand they can rec?

I need to cover the back seats ( at least) due to a collie..

also , what abou the airbags- are they a concern?

thanks

Old 08-07-2009, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Airbags shouldn't be a concern in the back because of how high they are mounted. I would just get a big piece of fabric or something to lay in the entire backseat area if it's for a dog.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ORfit4me
anyone have GT seat covers or another brand they can rec?
I need to cover the back seats ( at least) due to a collie..
Uhhmmm are you talking about the seatcovers from Custom Fit Car Seat Covers and Truck Seat Covers - Exact Fit Guarantee | GT Covers™ ?

Considering that this thread is titled "INEXPENSIVE seat covers" I think this would be the wrong thread to ask in, considering that their rear bench seatcover runs $180-$500.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:44 PM
did mean to highjack your thread, but I thought two new threads on seat covers seems overly abundant.

Blanket won't work for the dog- he get's it down in about 12 seconds even with bungie cords, straps , etc.

(and as other mentioned, the fit fabric just holds onto hair,lint, etc)

Old 08-07-2009, 03:18 PM
that's "didn't mean to highjack your thread"

Old 08-22-2009, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
I just went and bought this. It's better than the description makes it out to be -- that is, it has more parts than then "2 bucket and 1 bench seat cover". I will post a review later (I have not put it on yet.)..

Old 08-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by interestingstuff
I just went and bought this. It's better than the description makes it out to be -- that is, it has more parts than then "2 bucket and 1 bench seat cover". I will post a review later (I have not put it on yet.)..
Subscribed !

Old 08-22-2009, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Unless the seat covers have the special cutaway flap over the side airbag, I wouldn't put them on. If you cover up those airbags, they won't do their job to protect you in case of a side impact crash. The Coverking seat covers are more expensive (starting around $130 for the fronts only), but they're specially made to not interfere with the side airbags.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ando
Unless the seat covers have the special cutaway flap over the side airbag, I wouldn't put them on. If you cover up those airbags, they won't do their job to protect you in case of a side impact crash. The Coverking.. but they're specially made to not interfere with the side airbags.
As I said in my original posting, these are "suitable for the side airbags".. they are made for them, clearly say so, and even the seatcovers are labeled as such. I haven't investigated the methodology, as I haven't looked at them closely enough but I assume it's a combination of weaker fabrics and/or stitching in that area.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Just a few tidbits:

The kit actually consists of the following pieces:

5 separate headrest covers.

2 covers for the front seat upright/back parts that are kind of like bodysuits. These front parts utilize the Clix system for the airbags. They also have a special seam/section that you can cut for the holes for the headrest so that making said holes will be relatively hidden and won't cause the rest of the fabric to tear.

2 covers for the seat part of the front seats.

1 piece for the back part of the split folding bench seat that is extendable and separable by zippers.

1 piece for the seat part of split folding bench seat.

1 extra zip-in panel for the upright/back folding split bench seat part.

I have started to install them. I haven't finished. So far I've found that the under-seat straps will be a bit annoying to install but I suspect they are normal for most seat covers. I suppose I should use some sort of tip or trick to feed them through. Perhaps a wire hanger will help.

Also included are a decent amount of instructions in numerous languages and each piece is labeled with a pictoral illustration of where it fits.

One note is that the bench seat cover only covers the front, and not the rear of the seat, so one still needs some sort of back seat liner for when you put the seat down and want to transport cargo.