General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

stuff that I have noticed that are not great

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:51 AM
stuff that I have noticed that are not great

I got a BBP Sport auto 4 days ago and heres some stuff that Ive discovered AFTER the five mile test drive. IM 6'6" and 300 manly lbs.:

1. There is a little pointy corner on the front edge of the driver's arm rest that is very annoying to my outer knee after twenty miles. A few minutes of creative sanding helped that a lot.. no you cant see it.

2 There is an equally annoying sharp edge on the consoul that really cuts into my calf. A little slice of foam water pipe helped there.. and its black so it doesnt show in a black interior.

3. Its a PIG compared to my old cop car in acceleration AND braking.

4. Big side winds feel REALLY BIG.

5. The Sport side moulding will get some dirt on the legs of my pants if its isnt kept clean, which will be a hassel in winter.

6. The stereo is a HUGE disapponitment as far as general sound

7. I bought BBP instead of white or silver becasue there were no more in light colors to be had within 100 miles. My dealer now has four Fits left.. all black...and Im guessing that dark colors are too damned hard to keep sharp looking

Im not sorry I bought it for all the ususal Fit reasons, and Ill adapt to all these niggles, but shows how a short test drive DOES NOT tell all about a car.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
When I was testing my Fit back in 2007 I smiled and told the guy that if I was buying this car (the color I wanted never made it and it was going to be another month of waiting and I had already waited 3 months) I was going to take it for a good test drive. I put nealy 50 miles on the car! Only had 14 when I drove it off the lot! I don't know about those items on 2009 but the 2007 has no arm rest at all! We had to buy aftermarket for that one. As for the rest - that is the fun of owning a Fit - it has its own life style and we have to do the adapting - believe me it is well worth it! Your dealership is always able to find the car you want and have it driven in but you'll be buying a car with miles on it and uncertain of how it was driven.

Cat :x

Old 08-18-2009, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Number 1 and 2 I haven't noticed, but then I'm 5'8" and 150 pounds.

Number 3: I bought a manual (MUCH shorter gearing) and I weigh half as much. Mine's plenty quick in traffic.

Number 4: Car moves a bit. Hang up the cell phone and drive with both hands.

Number 5: My side moldings are getting scuffed from kicking them with my foot getting in the car. It's a bit weird to have the door sill be the widest part of the car.

Number 6: I have no complaints about the stock stereo at all. I'm a musician, and it sounds fine to me. I don't know what you're used to.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cool1442
I got a BBP Sport auto 4 days ago and heres some stuff that Ive discovered AFTER the five mile test drive. IM 6'6" and 300 manly lbs.:

1. There is a little pointy corner on the front edge of the driver's arm rest that is very annoying to my outer knee after twenty miles. A few minutes of creative sanding helped that a lot.. no you cant see it.

2 There is an equally annoying sharp edge on the consoul that really cuts into my calf. A little slice of foam water pipe helped there.. and its black so it doesnt show in a black interior.

3. Its a PIG compared to my old cop car in acceleration AND braking.

4. Big side winds feel REALLY BIG.

5. The Sport side moulding will get some dirt on the legs of my pants if its isnt kept clean, which will be a hassel in winter.

6. The stereo is a HUGE disapponitment as far as general sound

7. I bought BBP instead of white or silver becasue there were no more in light colors to be had within 100 miles. My dealer now has four Fits left.. all black...and Im guessing that dark colors are too damned hard to keep sharp looking

Im not sorry I bought it for all the ususal Fit reasons, and Ill adapt to all these niggles, but shows how a short test drive DOES NOT tell all about a car.
1. no problem with my 07
2. no problem with my 07
3. you've got 117 HP, what did you expect? I only have 109 hp
4. it weighs about 2500/2600 lbs and has a tall stance, again what did you expect
5. all side mouldings get dirt on them, it's the closest part of the car to the road
6. I will agree that the speaker system could be louder
7. I have a NBP Fit and yes, it's extremely hard to keep clean but when it's clean it's CLEAN!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:47 PM
IM 6'6" and 300 manly lbs.
You bought the wrong car dude lol

Old 08-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yep, typically you'll have to own it for about 3-4months before you really get to know the car.

but ive had mine for a while now and im still happy with it as the day i bought it (yes, there are imprefections and shortcomings if i get picky) but overall it's a great little package.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
but overall it's a great little package.
Dare I say, "That's what she said", lol.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitguy07
Dare I say, "That's what she said", lol.

im sorry for you.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:03 PM
My My, I just had some observations as far as a short test drive. And I am do realize we are not all alike and maybe the cars are not all alike. Uncle Gary, I am a musician also, and I know good sound when its good. My Fit has a sort of muffeled general sound and it cant be adjusted out, but Ill deal with it. Fitguy agrees. I was/am very aware its a little cheap low powered car and Im ok with that, but I am liking it more each drive. Hey CAT, dealers in the Northwest wont drive a dealer new car to another dealer...milage and insurance liability, but he and I checked for two weeks for a light color and a manual or auto, none in 200 miles.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Number 6: I have no complaints about the stock stereo at all. I'm a musician, and it sounds fine to me. I don't know what you're used to.
One of life's unfairnesses is that by the time you can afford a high end sound system, your hearing has probably deteriorated to the point where you can't appreciate it. I really don't understand the complaints about the OEM sound system -- at reasonable sound levels, it's by far the best I have experienced in any car I have owned. I really like the speed-sensitive volume control and the iPod suppport (although the UI of that big knob leaves something to be desired).

Old 08-19-2009, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah but the thing about the sound system is that at levels of say 25 and above, with SVC OFF, it starts to sound kind of muffled. Loud and the Loud with Clarity is totally different.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Fitguy, you are right on the mark about the muffled sound system. My real old Accord sounded better, as did my SX200 Nissan. My wife's Altima, altho it cost more, has a factory Bose system that is 100 times better. On the radio subject, has anyone successfully played a flash drive-based audio player thru the Fit system. I have a Sandisk Sansa and get the unsupported display. Does anything but an Ipod work?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Does anything but an Ipod work?
I have a Samsung YP-U3, and it also is unsupported. But, I downloaded all the music on it to a thumb drive, and it works fine.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Yeah but the thing about the sound system is that at levels of say 25 and above, with SVC OFF, it starts to sound kind of muffled. Loud and the Loud with Clarity is totally different.
Holy cow! I've never had it over 12. Too paranoid. The last time I had stock speakers louder was in the civic with the Pioneer headunit- tore the rear's cones right apart!

I thought the fit had decent sound for an OEM unit myself but to each his own.

The fit with the auto isn't too terribly slow, I mean it'll outrun a typical Metro or Insight or bicyclist but it's no pocket rocket. J/k, it's not that bad, but it really doesn't efficiently accelerate the car. Just remember, the GD fit auto with the base kw supercharger kit is almost as fast as a stock GD fit manual. (It would be faster if the gearing was better, but it's not.)

Those times when the wind tries to blow the car off the road seem get rarer as more miles are put on. I attribute it to the suspension bushings seating in. That or I'm just used to it. It's not as bad as an '09-up corolla, I guarantee that. Numb steering at center on that one.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:32 AM
5 Year Member
This pretty much makes my argument. After 60 years of abusing my eardrums with explosives, guns, power tools, motorcycles, and loud music, I have tinnitus 24x7 and some hearing loss, yet the stock sound system seems plenty loud even to my impaired hearing at a setting of 8. I feel no compulsion to annoy my fellow citizens with loud obnoxious music leaking from my car.

Last edited by Selden; 08-20-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
I have no problem with my stereo. I think it sounds awesome. Best one I have owned so far. My biggest complaint so far are the cup holders up front. There are 6 of them and all are pretty awkwardly placed. The easiest is the drivers side by the air vent. The others make you turn the drink almost sideways just to get it in or out of the holder.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:23 AM
On the discomfort issues.... you're 6'6 and 300 lbs and you bought one of the tiniest cars on the market. What did you expect? Honestly. You know, you can always put the armrest up and not use it if it's getting in your way. As to the sound system, I think it's fine.... it sounds like some people, like you, are pushing it to the max - like that old commerical with the guy sitting in a chair and the sound coming at him is making his hair blow backwards. You're in a Honda Fit. Of course if you're operating the equipment at extreme levels you're going to run into problems, but don't be extreme! Stay within the middle of the bell curve in your Fit, and it will treat you nicely.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Chase the rabbit with $1500+ aftermarket sound systems, or get much better sound reproduction and depth that most of these mid-level systems cannot deliver, and for a much cheaper price -- $120 Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones.

"Illegal?" Sure...but try a pro series headphone system, and you'll never wanna drop another dime into car audio, and you'll be willing to take the 1/10,000 chance of actually getting a ticket for 'em....

Old 08-21-2009, 12:25 AM
I would NOT be caught wearing headphones in a car! Not only is that illegal, but its incredibly unsafe! You can't hear horns, sirens or anything else that might keep you safe and keep you from an accident!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Cop Car: V8 with supercharger and extreme suspension mods and three times the size
Fit: 4-banger with 110 hp in an automatic, good suspension, but lightweight and much smaller.

That's like me comparing my Fit to my Trans Am. One's for speed and handling...one's a grocery-getter. Do I love them both? Yes...but they are NOT the same.

Quick Reply: stuff that I have noticed that are not great