General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda Fit saves me...a miracle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
Honda Fit saves me...a miracle.

A couple of days ago our Honda Fit performed a miracle...for me.

I am in the sixth week of recovering from total left hip replacement surgery...things are going well, but slowly. I am walking most places on a cane, although sometimes on crutches. So as I was going down the 3 steps into the garage to see my wife off to work, I took one step down with my left foot (proper technique), and then moved my right foot down. But…my left foot would not go flat, so I totally lost my balance two steps from the garage floor. Disaster….my cane went flying to the right, and I started down to the left to do a faceplant on the garage floor (a very serious thought). But….the Honda Fit was parked right where I was to land, and I did a total body slam onto the Fit front hood. Due to its gradual curve and molded shape, I slammed down, but was not hurt (a large miracle). Also, the Honda Fit was not damaged in any way (another miracle). I am so thankful that the Fit was there…otherwise I was back in the hospital with multiple injuries.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nmfit2008
A couple of days ago our Honda Fit performed a miracle...for me.

I am in the sixth week of recovering from total left hip replacement surgery...things are going well, but slowly. I am walking most places on a cane, although sometimes on crutches. So as I was going down the 3 steps into the garage to see my wife off to work, I took one step down with my left foot (proper technique), and then moved my right foot down. But…my left foot would not go flat, so I totally lost my balance two steps from the garage floor. Disaster….my cane went flying to the right, and I started down to the left to do a faceplant on the garage floor (a very serious thought). But….the Honda Fit was parked right where I was to land, and I did a total body slam onto the Fit front hood. Due to its gradual curve and molded shape, I slammed down, but was not hurt (a large miracle). Also, the Honda Fit was not damaged in any way (another miracle). I am so thankful that the Fit was there…otherwise I was back in the hospital with multiple injuries.
Wow! Glad you're OK! Bet the suspension helped absorb some of the impact. Garage floors generally don't have any "give" to them, so the Fit saves the day!

Would a ramp work better? Even if it was steeper than ADA requirements? Because you can rent a ramp, and your medical insurance may pay for it too.
How to Rent a Wheelchair Ramp | eHow.com

There's a steep slope that I used to regularly walk up. Lifting the legs for stairs can be a problem, but scooting up the slope, even though it was steep, was much easier. Because I could take tiny 4-6 inch steps, by kind of dragging my legs without ever having to LIFT the leg off the ground. Even if getting up the slope requiring stopping from pain, or making very small couple of inch steps, I got to the top eventually. Without railings.

You also may be able to have a temporary railing put in. I mean, it would still be bolted down, but have it removed after you have fully healed.

I like railings, on my bad days, I use them, a lot. Stairs become a lot more passable if I can use an arm to help get me up, it's like the cane, but it's built-in.

Considering the amount of money it would cost for even one night at the hospital, the medical insurance could easily cover a ramp rental for a month (or two or three or four months, considering hospital costs!).

Here's a railing place:
PRODUCTS - AMERICAN RAILING SYSTEMS, INC. - Aluminum Guardrail Deck Pipe Guard rail 8 8" inch top rail Hand Guardrail Guard railing destroy destroying rails

I'm thinking of one of the SIMPLE styles, like the top image on this page:
Arnot Mall - Horseheads, NY

You may have to insist with your doctor to have something put in or approved by the insurance. Look, it's a hazard not to have a suitable way to exit the garage. What if there was an emergency? And you HAD to leave the house quickly?

Sure, you might escape the stove on fire, but falling down the stairs could be worse.

Give that doctor a call!

Old 09-13-2009, 05:11 PM
lol good to hear

Old 09-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Glad you and your Fit are ok!

Old 09-13-2009, 06:29 PM
lol I knew the Honda Fit don't just get good mileage, don't just have flexible interior and roomy but it can be your hero too.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wow scary stuff! glad to hear your Fit caught you like a glove.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Glad you're okay!

Old 09-14-2009, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks

Thanks Everyone,

Yes, it was a scary experience....but this past weekend I actually was able to drive the stickshift Honda Fit. Considering it is my left hip that has been replaced....this is a big accomplishment. It feels very good.

I do not intend to duplicate my body slam from last week.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Glad to know that you and the Fit did great and that it was there when you needed it the most. Good to hear that you are already behind the wheel of your car and healing well.

Cat :x

Old 09-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Just be thankful you didn't land on that flimsy roof! Odd circumstance, but thanks for sharing...glad yer ok.