General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Security system upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Security system upgrade question

Are there any reasons to upgrade the stock security system / theft deterrent system for a stock Fit Sport? It seems to me that the key with the microchip pretty much eliminates the stolen vehicle syndrome. What am I missing?

Old 05-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Anyone?

Anyone have any ideas on this? I live in a big city and I want to purchase a Fit. But I know that thieves like Hondas. Has Honda been successful about thwarting thieves with their security systems? Are there any good reasons to go aftermarket? I like the Fit but I need to park it on the street.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by lambretta
Are there any reasons to upgrade the stock security system / theft deterrent system for a stock Fit Sport? It seems to me that the key with the microchip pretty much eliminates the stolen vehicle syndrome. What am I missing?
Non-technical answer (since I don't know the statistics for your metro area, or the Fit specifically): it would seem to eliminate the stolen vehicle syndrome for cars that thieves plan to drive away. But thieves who use flatbed trucks (repo men, rogue tow rigs) don't even need to open the door.

If I was forced to park frequently on sketchy streets, I'd buy a big steering wheel lock gizmo for extra deterrent from amateurs. But professional car thieves can defeat any hardware. Don't worry, be happy (buy insurance). *smile*

PS- I don't live in an area where I frequently hear car alarms going off. But all my life I've basically ignored car alarms (unless it sounds exactly like the one on my own car) and most everyone I know acts the same. I'd think "hat" (locked garage) rather than "sunscreen" (alarm).

Last edited by gcomstock; 05-05-2006 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:34 AM
Over in Europe all new cars have to have imobilisers as we call them. It has reduced car theft a lot - the amateur "joy riders" can now only go for the older models.

However it can't do anything for theft from the cars - which is now becoming very common especially in cities. Normally they smash the side window and get in that way - and they are so quick that an alarm will rarely deter them. At least the dead locks on our Jazz (not sure if fitted on the US Fit) means that they still can't open the door - have to lean or climb in through the broken window

The latest target is dedicated sat nav systems such as Tom Tom, which have become very popular over here in the last couple of years. They will often break in if they see the mount (or even the "ring" left by the sucker on your screen!) assuming that you will probably have hidden the main unit in the glove box.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
I'm upgrading to aftermarket system since it will allow for remote start...

Old 05-06-2006, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
As I got the base Jazz, I don't have deadlocks but I do have an immobilser (which is "built in" in to the key) which will therefore make it harder for thieves to try and take it on a joy ride.

I got an aftermarket alarm fitted on my Jazz after mum parked it into a dark alley way and left her mobile...stupid her.

Anywho, it was definetly worth it. Keyless entry as I didn't like using my keys to open the door everytime, alarm sensors, bonet protection (incase thieves try to dismount the alarm), rear and door protection. Also got delay-time lock which will lock the doors after 20 seconds of starting the ignition.