General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Why I Did Not Buy a FIT

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Thumbs down Why I Did Not Buy a FIT

Just an FYI if you're shopping for a FIT, keep this in mind.

I liked most everything about the FIT, but...... when my wife, who is 5'1" tall, got behind the wheel she said, "I can't raise the seat height, and I can't see the front of the car." I'm 5'11" and I had to agree with her; the seat adjustment was poor and we crossed the FIT off our list of possible new cars.

Other niggly items that bothered me:
No temp. gauge;
No center arm rest;
Mats and cargo cover optional at premium price;
No dead pedal (minor detail).

Old 05-06-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm pretty much a lock for this Honda Fit but I'm hanging around to see how the Versa Sport Pkg will fit me.

I'm curious as to know what other cars are on your list?

If I was under 6ft, that would be my deal breaker too. Ergonmics and safe driving position are critical. I would have loved also for this to have parascopic steering wheel too, but I'm lucky to have long arms.

Old 05-06-2006, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jpmccormac
Just an FYI if you're shopping for a FIT, keep this in mind.

I liked most everything about the FIT, but...... when my wife, who is 5'1" tall, got behind the wheel she said, "I can't raise the seat height, and I can't see the front of the car." I'm 5'11" and I had to agree with her; the seat adjustment was poor and we crossed the FIT off our list of possible new cars.

Other niggly items that bothered me:
No temp. gauge;
No center arm rest;
Mats and cargo cover optional at premium price;
No dead pedal (minor detail).

My wife has the same issue. Can't raise the seat is the problem and maybe put a seat cushion will help. Even the seat can be raised, she still won't be able to see the front. I am 6 ft and I can't see the front. All new cars have this "nose dive cut of" design.

Old 05-06-2006, 04:56 PM
As for the temp guage, there is one but it's digital, it'll only show at startup when the car is cold (green light), or when the car starts to overheat (red light), sorta a dummy light to speak.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:14 PM
I agree with the most part except the part about seeing the hood. I can't think of any car where I could see the hood or where I wanted to. I guess I have a good feel for the dimensions of the car that I drive so it enables me to forego seeing the hood.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Its weird that the US models didn't get seat height adjustment. Even the gutless should I get out and push it up the hill 1.3L NON-VTEC gets it here.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:45 PM
This seat height adjustment issue?
Is it a major oversite or does the rest of this N.A. B-segment not have it?

Old 05-06-2006, 06:22 PM
I've never driven a car with a height adjustment, so I guess I can't say it's an issue for me. I have had three Hondas and seeing over the steering wheel or the front of the car has never been a problem for me. (I'm 4' 11") I just make sure I leave plenty of distance between my car and the one in front of me. I have never encountered a problem parking either. I am considering removing the headrests from the back seats for better visibility.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Seems like all good reasons...

Old 05-06-2006, 07:47 PM
I'm 5'2" and don't feel like my seating position in my car is too low. Do you really have to see the front of a car where the nose dives off? As long as you keep your distance from the car in front of you, which you should always do anyway, and know how to park, it shouldn't be a problem. I've never hit anything in front of me yet in any car I've driven that lacked seat height adjustment.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:43 PM
instead of the fit i bought a dodge caliber.

Old 05-06-2006, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
They changed the name

Its not the caliber. Its called the crapiler.
You made a huge mistake. i know red white and blue.

Old 05-06-2006, 10:57 PM
so far so good. i am not criticizing those who bought/are buying the fit. i was just adding to the forum like others.
and no...not red white and blue...i got orange.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
So why did you get the Caliber as opposed to Fit?

Not a hater, just asking.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Well, at least that's a legitimate reason to not get the Fit. But you've gotta understand, the Fit comes from Japan where everyone is sooo tall.... wait... scratch that. I guess Honda just dropped the ball on that one.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:30 PM
thanks for being nice.

i have been interested in the fit since about october, when virtually no one knew what it was. in the time between then and when it finally became available, i test drove the matrix which i promptly crossed off my list due to high noise level and a nasty blind spot.

that put fit at the top, but still no idea of when it would be available. in feb my then car -93 subaru- died and my fiance was having to drive me everywhere. now we love each other but i am used to having a car for my own freedom, and he was used to not having to get up in the early morning for my job. i came across the caliber purely accidentally when surfing the net for cars to compare to the fit. on a whim i went to the dodge dealership with my fiance.

at first glace i thought the vantage from inside the caliber would b minimal cuz the windows were so small. i drove it anyway and fell in love with it, being very surprised at trhe vantage, as well as the quietness and roominess. now, in a perfect world the mpg would be better (it's about 26/30) but knowing i will be having a baby in the next year or two, i was happy to give up a few mpg for the weightiness of this somewhat larger car..it also has airbags throughout.

since i bought it, i've ner been more pleased. i finally saw a fit the other day, and was happy i made the choice i did. though my fiance may end up buying the fit next year.

good luck!

Old 05-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Smile Short but not stumped

I am 5'2" and I find the FIT incredibly comfortable and intuitive. My husband is a big guy - 6'2" and 235 pounds and he loves how spacious and functional the FIT is. The nose drops off on the CIVIC and on the PRIUS and on many 2006 cars designed for now. The cost of the FIT makes it a great car for those of us who want to have form follow function. Hybrids are great if you are doing city mileage but for those of us who live in rural areas, the mileage in real life is not maximized.

I love the expansive windshield on the FIT, the fact that you sit high in the car and have good visibility. The logic of this car in terms of functional space and easy of maneuverability is complemented by the intuitive dash layout, sweet seats and great stereo . The FIT is a joy to drive and you can't get that from just sitting in the car. A 1/4 of a mile down the road and everything from head to toe feels happy!

I know finding one to test drive is difficult because of high demand but I would suggest that people at least try it because it is actual experience that will tell you if it is a fit for you or not. I have driven plenty of cars with seat adjusters that still made me feel like I was afloat on a barge.

Small and tall, we bonded with this car immediately. The other day I parked in front of my post office and when I came out, I could not see my car there were so many people swarming around it.

Try driving it and you will have a totally different perspective.

Anniefit

Silver Storm Sport AT - 236 miles

Old 05-07-2006, 02:37 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by jpmccormac

The seat is HIGH in fit. On a curb where i park, my door (whcih is also high) is way higher and won't hit it when you open it like it did w/ my civic

And no one regardless of height, can see the top of the car. The reason is the nose is steep, not b/c the chair isn't high enough. Since my mom has an SUV, driving the fit feels like driving a short SUV. I'm 5'4 btw.

I can't believe you didn't buy the fit b/c you didn't think about the steepness of the nose.

Old 05-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by Gordio
The seat is HIGH in fit. On a curb where i park, my door (whcih is also high) is way higher and won't hit it when you open it like it did w/ my civic

And no one regardless of height, can see the top of the car. The reason is the nose is steep, not b/c the chair isn't high enough. Since my mom has an SUV, driving the fit feels like driving a short SUV. I'm 5'4 btw.

I can't believe you didn't buy the fit b/c you didn't think about the steepness of the nose.
I agree Gordio....

But i too have a problem with it, though mine is limited to making turns (specially right).

Last edited by GoFit; 05-07-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:08 AM
We own an Odyssey and you can't see the front end either... didn't stop us from buying it!
To help my wife get an idea of how far out the nose is I stood in front (engine off!) while she was behind the wheel.
She is 5'4" I'm 5'11", we both love the Fits dimensions and positions, if we wanted a car with all the adjustments, we would have bought a more expensive Honda/Acura! We are buying the Fit for the price and the fact is has a H on the front!!

Quick Reply: Why I Did Not Buy a FIT