General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Wiper noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Wiper noise

I used my wipers for the first extended period this morning. The wipers seemed like they were scraping the windshield and made a lot of noise. This was on both intermittent and full strength. Anybody else noticed this? I wonder if they need to be adjusted.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Sounds like you may have bunk wipers. I was impressed at how quiet mine are given how large they are and the range they travel. They are getting a little noisier now that they have been getting some use but it's well within normal.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Was the windshield even wet when you were using the wipers?

Old 05-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Does anyone have any idea what the prices are to replace them? To those that have thier fits, are the wiper blade portions removable?

Old 05-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by corey415
Was the windshield even wet when you were using the wipers?
Yes, it was raining pretty steady.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Occidio
Does anyone have any idea what the prices are to replace them? To those that have thier fits, are the wiper blade portions removable?

No idea on cost, but for sure you remove them.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Try Rain X before buying blades. That said, I've had quiet wipers chatter after using the stuff. But at speed, with Rain X, wipers are not reqiured anyway.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Dañiel
No idea on cost, but for sure you remove them.
The rubber blade itself is not too expensive. The first purchase for mine was an order to Colledge Hills Honda for a replacement set and 4-oil filters. I think I had less than $30 for the order.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
I have had no problems with mine in any type of way...

Old 05-08-2006, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
I would go back to the dealer and complain.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:23 PM
My wipers work great. I wish there was a variable intermitent setting, but really who cares about that.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:52 PM
YES! i just got home after a drive in torrential rain, and the noise from the rubbing of the wipers was horrible! my father was in the car with me, and he thinks it might be the rubber on the wipers, perhaps? that's on the list of things that we'll have them check, along with the lights and a/c, when we take it in next week...

Old 05-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Someone that Posts too much
None with mine also.

But had it with older cars, my fix was to clean the winshield thoroughly (rubber build-up). Since your car is new i don't see that as problem, bring it back to the dealer and have them check it.

I also agree with the rain-x treatment, no need for wipers at high speed, in fact it works better than using the wiper.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Instead of Rain-X, I've heard good things about the Aquapel treatment. I bought a few from eBay. It reportedly lasts much longer than Rain-X.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Hmmm...... I think i'll give Aquapel a try. Do you know if it's available at auto stores?

Old 05-13-2006, 08:14 PM
I went by the dealer today to ask about the wiper noise. The guy in Service said it was "normal" in a car that is so new. He said give it awhile and see if it clears up. He also said I might try cleaning the blades (on a new car!). I'm not sure I buy this explanation.
When I bought my 2002 Civic I had an issue with a noise when I came to a stop. I took it back several times and was told the brake noise was "normal". After finally taking my complaint to management, I was told the struts needed to be replaced. Once I got that fixed, I didn't have any more problems.
Any advice?

Old 05-14-2006, 02:59 AM
GoFit, I don't think Aquapel is available in stores. I read that there used to be an "STP" branded version but I don't know if it's still available. If you search for "Aquapel Glass" you'll find them on eBay. If you do a search on M3forum.net or audiworld.com you'll find feedback from users there, too. Pretty much everyone has had good results from it, so please search around other forums for info. I think it was originally marketed for application by tint shops and other specialty shops. I had it on my car only for the last two weeks or so during rainy season, so I don't have any long term durability info, yet.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:03 AM
5 Year Member
When you have the wipers on, does it have like a rubbing noise where like the rubber on the wipers can't seem to wipe it off smooth so it makes the same noise as when someone is rubbing their sweaty hands across plastic to piss someone off?

Generally, when that happens, you just need to get a towel, add some vinegar to it and just wipe your blades. It could be due to your wipers being greasy.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:16 AM
Unhappy

Mine squeaked loudly too. I assummed the dealer used a drive through wash during prep that sprayed wax on the body and windshield, and the wipers now had a nice coating of wax build up. The vinegar suggestion for the blades should work, and would work on the windshield too.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
Mine are making a little noise and skipping, but it didn't effect wiper performance. I'm satisfied, and when they wear out, they'll get pitched for a nice set of Bosch wipers--best I've ever used.

Oh, and I tried the Rain-X thing a few years ago. It was really cool driving on the highway without the wipers going, but it caused some pretty harsh glare from streetlights.

Quick Reply: Wiper noise