General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda Fit Hybrid: Mid-2007

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda Fit Hybrid: Mid-2007

From TreeHugger http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006..._fit_hybri.php

Honda Fit Hybrid: Mid-2007, Hybrid CR-V: Late 2006

May 5, 2006 03:14 PM - Michael G. Richard, near Ottawa

Bradley Berman, the editor of HybridCars.com (you can see a video interview with him at the New York Auto Show), has received confirmation from an anonymous industry insider that Honda will produce a hybrid version of the Fit (also known as the Honda Jazz - we wrote about the possibility of a hybrid version a couple of months ago). It is scheduled for release in mid-2007.The insider said:If you take the measurement from the wheel hub to the wheel hub of the Fit and the Insight, they are the same to the millimeter. The Fit is going to get the Insight engine. It's already a proven powertrain. It will probably get fuel economy in the low to mid-50s.

According to the same source, Honda will probably continue to make the Insight hybrid even though sales are very slow (less than 100 per month) for the bragging right of having the most fuel efficient hybrid (though it's arguable that the Toyota Prius is relatively more efficient if you consider that it is heavier, roomier, more powerful and doesn't use as much expensive aluminum to reduce weight).

In the interview, HybridCars.com learned that Honda would also release a hybrid version of its CR-V mini-SUV in late 2006. Honda has not publicly confirmed its plans for hybrid versions of the Fit or CR-V. [...] Even with the Fit's hybrid premium, its price will beat out the Civic Hybrid by approximately $5,000 and a Prius by $7,000 or more. The gas-only Fit is powered by a 109-horsepower 1.5-liter, four-cylinder VTEC engine. The hybrid version. according to the HybridCars.com interview, will utilize a 1.0-liter engine.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
My guess is that Honda will use a 1.1-liter version of that 1.3-liter SOHC i-VTEC engine found on the 2006 Civic Hybrid plus an improved IMA hybrid drivetrain for the Fit Hybrid. Don't be surprised if the Fit Hybrid becomes the first hybrid to use lithium-ion batteries, which means the weight penalty compared to the Fit powered by the L15A1 VTEC engine will be minimal.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Hydrids are only cool for tree huggers. Once you factor in the extra cost of buying one (only way they can sell it for less, is with fewer options), higher maintenance costs, etc. paying a bit more for gas wont break the bank.

I’ll stick with the normal gas engine, with more interior space, thank you very much.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Well here in the Bay Area, any hybrid that gets >45 mpg city/freeway can drive in the carpool/HOV lane by themselves. In heavy traffic, driving in that lane can save you ~30 min each way for your commute during rush hour.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:19 AM
It may seem like its not worth the extra dough, but you will make the money back plus some in a 5 year period. Now, if you are the kind of guy that switches cars every 2-3 years then yeah it may not make sense for you in strict economic terms.

But this is all based on current gas prices. The more gas goes up, the more money a hybrid would save you. It's all a gamble, just like anything else. I am personally very excited to hear this kind of news. A fit hybrid would be my ultimate car and may be worth waiting an extra year for.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
All of the an_alysis I have seen shows that for most; buying a hybrid will not save you a significant amount of money when compared to buying the regular non hybrid version.

Doing the math using EPA mileage figures isnt the right way; real world mileage for hybrids with respect to the EPA figure is worse than for a non hybrid.

Also, most hybrids have compromises. Most are slower, and most have less interior cargo space to accomodate for the batteries.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Imagine the MSRP mark-up on a hybrid Fit in California here... already can't find a Prius here due to the new "drive by yourself in the carpool lane with a hybrid" law.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by b17gsr
Once you factor in the extra cost of buying one (only way they can sell it for less, is with fewer options), higher maintenance costs, etc. paying a bit more for gas wont break the bank.
Hi! Can you site your references on this one? Thanks.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Master FitFreaker
it's gonna be expensive

Old 05-11-2006, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Ehh no more than $18k I imagine.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
My guess is that Honda will use a 1.1-liter version of that 1.3-liter SOHC i-VTEC engine found on the 2006 Civic Hybrid plus an improved IMA hybrid drivetrain for the Fit Hybrid. Don't be surprised if the Fit Hybrid becomes the first hybrid to use lithium-ion batteries, which means the weight penalty compared to the Fit powered by the L15A1 VTEC engine will be minimal.
The 1.3-litre is a 4cyl whereas the 1.0-litre is a 3cyl. As far as engine bay space is concerned, when combined with the IMA system the 4cyl wouldn't fit sufficiently. It's too precise for the difference to work, hence the insider's statement concerning the width from hub to hub being "the same to the millimeter."

Old 05-11-2006, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pirelli P Zero
The 1.3-litre is a 4cyl whereas the 1.0-litre is a 3cyl. As far as engine bay space is concerned, when combined with the IMA system the 4cyl wouldn't fit sufficiently. It's too precise for the difference to work, hence the insider's statement concerning the width from hub to hub being "the same to the millimeter."
I have to disagree with that! I've seen the 2006 Civic Hybrid's engine bay and the SOHC i-VTEC gasoline engine is tiny--it makes the L15A1 VTEC engine on the Fit look big in comparison. Hence the reason why the 1.1-liter version of that special SOHC i-VTEC engine will likely be part of the Fit Hybrid.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by citizenkeith
Hi! Can you site your references on this one? Thanks.
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...01/110662.html

Lots of various sources state the same thing.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:18 AM
A hybrid Fit will be marked up well over $20K in California. No thanks.

The battery replacement cost down the line, and the dealer mark ups pretty much makes buying a Hybrid too expensive. Even with gas going over $5/gallon by the time the Fit Hybrid shows up.

-Ed

Old 05-12-2006, 01:28 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aziatiklover
it's gonna be expensive
its said to be under 19k...but who cares hybrids are for people that work long distance jobs...if i want i can ride my bike to work

Old 05-12-2006, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by b17gsr
Hydrids are only cool for tree huggers. Once you factor in the extra cost of buying one (only way they can sell it for less, is with fewer options), higher maintenance costs, etc. paying a bit more for gas wont break the bank.

I’ll stick with the normal gas engine, with more interior space, thank you very much.

IL Exclusive: Honda Drops Plans for CR-V Hybrid

Date posted: 05-11-2006
TOKYO — The Internet has been crackling with news of a Honda Fit hybrid and a hybrid edition of the CR-V to match. Inside Line has learned from an insider that the story is only half true.

Honda is working on a hybrid version of the Fit. That's the next-generation Fit, which is due to arrive in 2008.

Contrary to what has been reported elsewhere, the Fit hybrid will not get the three-cylinder Insight hybrid engine, which is already more than six years old, a senior Honda source told IL. Instead, Honda will adapt the Civic-style IMA hybrid for Fit duty.

The buzz in Tokyo is that the Fit hybrid will be only about $1,800 more expensive than the regular gas version — which is less than half the premium buyers are paying for hybrids right now. Even better, it should deliver very good fuel mileage, better than the Civic hybrid and close to the 56-66 mpg that the tiny Insight coupe delivers in U.S. trim.

As for the CR-V hybrid, despite wishful thinking, our source told IL that it is not going to happen. The source also said Honda/Acura is not planning any hybrid SUVs to compete against Toyota and Lexus. The reason? Lack of performance as well as the cost factor involved.

"Anyone who spends $7,000 extra on a CR-V hybrid is never going to get that money back in fuel savings. No, our hybrid system works much better for cars," said the source, "so that's where our focus is going to be."

What this means to you: Expect something groundbreaking from the '08 Fit hybrid — but don't expect to see Honda do hybrids for hybrids' sake.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=115344

Old 05-12-2006, 08:48 AM
I paid $17,900 for my 2000 5 spd Insight , it has 171,000 miles on it and during the warmer weather ( april-nov) it never gets under 70 MPG . It has more than paid for the extra hybrid technology in gas costs. Still running strong on the orig battery. Ted

Old 05-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by crankshaft
The buzz in Tokyo is that the Fit hybrid will be only about $1,800 more expensive than the regular gas version — which is less than half the premium buyers are paying for hybrids right now. Even better, it should deliver very good fuel mileage, better than the Civic hybrid and close to the 56-66 mpg that the tiny Insight coupe delivers in U.S. trim.
I'll believe it after some independant testing.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:58 AM
1,800 is nothing thats awsome!!!!!!!! P.S. paulo hybrids are great on short distances better than long because the gas engine works less on short distances more electric thus less gas used!

Old 05-12-2006, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
$1800 is the difference in JAPAN, where cars are sold cheaper since it's direct from manufacturers to consumers without the franchised dealers. You buy from the Honda store.

Seems too small of a difference for the North American market

Quick Reply: Honda Fit Hybrid: Mid-2007