General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Blown Around in the Wind?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Question Blown Around in the Wind?

Hi - New user here. Bought a '09 Fit Sport earlier this yr and love it for the most part. The space is amazing, love the optional floor trays (indispensable), and I don't even know how I'm getting 43.6 mpg - it's MT, but still - Amazing.
However, I've started to notice that when I hit about 55/60 mph on a highway, the steering is truly frightening. Specifically, I sometimes feel as though I'm being blown around on the road as if I'm in a boat. It was somewhat windy out a few weeks ago, and at one point it felt like an unseen hand jerked the wheel away from me. PETRIFYING while doing 60 on a highway. I had snow tires put on about a month ago (Blizzaks), and could immediately tell they were "grippier" than the stock tires, but I don't know how this would alter the steering for the worse. I'm always driven small cars (Saturn SC2, Dodge Neon), so I've felt the pull of huge tractor trailers and high winds before, but nothing like this.
I'll be SO disappointed if this is just how the Fit drives, as I love everything else, and this issue is seriously frightening. I feel like I'm not in control of the car, as the steering wheel almost jumps in my hands when at these high speeds - I white-knuckle it while travelling on NYC highways. Luckily, most of my day-to-day driving is on local roads, where even at 45/50 mph I don't notice this effect. I make a 5-hr trip to MD every few months, and normally while on an open road in good conditions, I can "sit back and relax" (so to speak!) while on a straightaway, but now I'm always tense and fearful of being pushed around - literally.
Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any idea what it could be? It's not "pulling" to one side or the other, and there's been no damage to the car, so I doubt it's the actual steering/alignment. I plan to bring it in to the dealer for its first oil change in the coming month and would like to ask a tech about it, I just have no idea where to begin. Thanks!

Old 12-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Definitely have it look at because normally the Fit handles exceptionally well. Now if you are passed by a large semi you'll going to feel like your car is being sucked in - you will definitely feel that. Also if you have a high wind day it will put some movement on the car and you just have to be aware of it. You are small and light so that means the wind is going to mess with you but I've never had the car feel out of control.

Cat :x

Old 12-29-2009, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Be sure to check your tire pressure and set it to factory specs cold (before driving). I find the tire pressure has a greater effect on handling with the Fit than other cars I've owned.

Also the mpg shown on your car's display is inaccurate. It's probably getting about 6mpg less than shown. I don't know if your numbers were manually calculated or from the car's computer. There's a software update to correct this (dealer flashes the car's control module). details at this link

Last edited by Steve244; 12-29-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:51 PM
The tire pressure's definitely right - my dad has forced me to be fastidious about that thru example!
And what a bummer on the mpg - though high 30s is still damn good. The 43.6 was from the comp, though for the first few months I calculated it myself after every fill-up and was getting around 38... so I'm still thrilled with that. Thanks for the update info!

Old 12-29-2009, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
I'd have it checked, but it could also be a handling characteristic of the snow tires, especially if you didn't notice this before having them put on. The tire dealer that sold them to you might be able to help in this respect (most will allow exchanges if you're not happy with performance).

Welcome to the boards!

Old 12-29-2009, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
I agree the car is pretty darty in windy conditions, almost to the point of white knuckle driving. Though it's not very windy 98% of the time in Alabama, I do hate driving in windy conditions. I read that a wider tire helps, but that seems like the expensive route.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
yeah i had a road trip from Los Angeles down to Yuma, Arizona andd cruising down the 5 freeway there was tons of wind. my fit was like shaking along when a big truck passed by or whenever i got a big gust. i think its just soo small that it reacts more then any other car. (can u imagine being in a smart car?) haha

Old 12-29-2009, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
It's because the Fit is light and have a tall roof.
I feel the same thing when driving on the freeway. You get use to it after a while. Come in handy at time cause when a car is next to me I can feel them when my Fit "move"

Old 12-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Common issue with all Fits. Unfortunately. Even mentioned during Motor Trends long term test of an 09' Sport M/T. Guess its due to the low weight, height, and narrow track.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
I find it not that bad. Well not to point of white knuckling. It is a heck of a lot more stable than my old 75 Dodge Coronet. That thing would change lanes when passing a Semi and broke the draft.

I have found the snows to be a bit more wiggily in the wind. Most likely because of the high sidwall but they seem to be stuck a bit more.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Fitting
It's because the Fit is light and have a tall roof.
I feel the same thing when driving on the freeway. You get use to it after a while. Come in handy at time cause when a car is next to me I can feel them when my Fit "move"
This. Physics and such.

I don't feel any need to white knuckle, I just pay attention.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Have to agree that the Fit feels kind of sqirrely in cross winds. Wider tires might help, lowering too (not here in snow country though). My GTI was lighter, lower and had wider tires. Handled fine in winds.

Barb

Old 12-29-2009, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
I was wishing I was driving my Fit, last Thursday while driving to San Antonio in a new Subaru Forester.... I have never had problems due to side winds in my Fit, but then again my former rides have been motorcycles and a sidecar rig followed by a cargo van.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:24 AM
ski
5 Year Member
My 09 has the same problem, but it's definitely not a "white knuckle" experience with the stock all season tires. Your problem may have been worsened by the new snow tires, which are probably more squirrely at highway speeds due to their deeper treads and a possible higher aspect ratio(higher sidewalls) than the stock tires.

A few things that will lessen the impact of winds:
- Tires wearing down to reduce tread flexing.
- Increased tire pressures to reduce sidewall flexing.
- Tires with a lower aspect ratio to reduce sidewall flexing.
- Lowering the suspension.
- Stiffening the suspension.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Blown around in the wind? LOL!
But I guess it's what you're used to, maybe?
I dunno tho, because as one who has a much lighter (and narrower and taller) Toyota Echo, (and who also rides MCs and Vespa scooters), my 2010 Fit AT feels rock solid to me on the roads in windy conditions.. (Seriously!)
For myself, I find that the Fit's head-down-into-the-wind stance to be very reassuring and secure in windy conditions!

(-Sometimes I really wonder about the driving experience of some of you guys here? -Are you all coming offa Cadillacs and Lexuses as previous rides?)

Old 01-01-2010, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
I know on my '07 it felt very darty in the wind until I put on the Progress rear sway bar. That had almost no affect on the ride but handling and stability in crosswinds was much improved.
I came from a WRX Sportwagon, and it didn't get blown around half as much as the Fit.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 AM
++ on Chazlee's comment

My first drive in my Fit away from the dealer was on a 50 mile freeway run. I was being pretty bummed out because it seemed to have a lot of wind noise compared to the demo I'd driven. Didn't notice any unusual buffeting, just a lot of wind noise. When I got to my exit, I rolled down the window and about a 40 mph 'breeze' blew in! I guess it's all a matter of perspective, this seems better on the road than my much heavier previous ride, a Mazda Tribute. And anyone who thinks it's a white knuckler has never driven a vintage VW bus with bias ply tires on it! My '70 bus would change lanes even with the steering wheel cranked half a turn into the wind!

Old 01-01-2010, 11:50 AM
ski
5 Year Member
I have been in many vehicles during my 46 years of driving, and I can attest that my Fit definitely does not feel all that stable in a gusty wind. It gets a little darty even when the steering wheel is held rock steady. And that's with relatively new tires(only 8K miles) that are pressurized to spec, and a recent 4 wheel alignment. It's all due to physics - light weight, high side area, and short wheelbase. Those will add up to a "blown around" feeling regardless of the vehicle's make or model.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Given a strong enough gusty cross wind, any car will blow around, especially around large trucks. I find the Fit rather stable for its size and weight, probably due to heavy front weight bias and the mass of the body toward the rear. This combination puts the center of gravity ahead of the center of pressure, which is inherently stabilizing (think of an arrow). Back in the 1970's when we had our Honda N600, it was fun to watch bigger vehicles blow from lane to lane, and we gave a very large amount of room to VW buses, which would literally blow from lane to lane.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't notice it that much. Certainly no where near what it was like years ago when I had my VW bus.

Quick Reply: Blown Around in the Wind?