General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Control arm problems and wallow

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Control arm problems and wallow

I have had a strange unstable side to side wallow effect while driving on slightly uneven surfaces with a slight vibration on the floor near the dead peddle. There is also a thump when hitting speed ramps or ruts in the road.

The Honda technicians have taken a close look at everything to do with the suspension and can see no visual defects although they can feel the problem when driving.

Anyway, they have replaced all 4 struts and stabilizer links as well as wheel rotation, balance and alignment, but still the same.

An independant technician with a lot of experience seems to think it has to do with defective control arms or drive shaft. The problem is Honda think these are OK as they can't see any visual damage. Hmmmm Any ideas?

Last edited by Jo Jo; 01-09-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like lower control arm bushings, specifically the rear bushing. That one tends to take the most abuse in front wheel drive cars. Though I'm confused, seeing as it's still a fairly new car.

If you can, take one of the front wheels off and grab hold of the control arm and give it a good tug from front to back (as in pull the end closest to you toward the front of the car and then pull it towards the back of the car). If it moves alot and you feel metal striking metal, have a technician look at your lower control arm bushigs. My dad's '01 Pt Cruiser had those same bushings replaced after 7 years, and it had the same symptoms your Jazz has.

Hope I can help!

Old 01-16-2010, 04:15 AM
Lek
slight vibration on the floor near the dead peddle
This seems like a wheel and tire problem. Vibration cause by wheel not being 100% hub centric with aftermarket wheels, but not with OEM wheels.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
I have a PT Cruiser that had the control arm bushings replaced. I think all PT Cruiser's have had or will have them replaced. I didn't have so much side-to-side wavering as I did the clunking noises on varied surfaces. It always sounded like it was coming from my left foot. Once it was replaced with a synthetic bushing the problem mostly disappeared. It's an 'American' car, though, so I can't expect it to be perfect. (It's mass produced, after all. According to the dealership. Duh.)

Old 11-30-2010, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
i have the same problem with my 07 fit. i spend alot of time on the track/auto-x and the rear bushings on the control arms being worn will cause them symptoms you are describing (the easy fix was getting poly bushings). and easy check is either with the car on the ground set the parking break and leave the car in neutral, then grab the top of the wheel and start rocking the wheel to the front and back of the wheel well. if you see the wheel move in the wheel well front to back and/or hear that clunk that bushing is mostlikely your problem. Another way to check is to get the car up on a lift or jack the wheel up (if u jack the wheel up make sure you support the car properly) and have someone try and shake the wheel front to back and look at that bushing you should be able to see it move side to side, and also look for cracks in the rubber.
best of luck
*one more thing (i would refrain from letting those techs at honda look at your car again) this is a very common suspension problem across all vehicle manufacters.

Last edited by TurnOnTrance; 11-30-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
jep, i would suspect the bushings as well.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
the easiest way to check it with out lifting the car. have someone get in it and start to move foward slowly and slam on the breaks and pulsate it you will be able to see the wheel shift back and foward. if its a control arm you cant tell unless its loaded on the ground you can check it in the air but it wont be acurate if the rear bushing its not completely broken.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Fit Control Arm Bushings

Originally Posted by TurnOnTrance
i have the same problem with my 07 fit. i spend alot of time on the track/auto-x and the rear bushings on the control arms being worn will cause them symptoms you are describing (the easy fix was getting poly bushings). and easy check is either with the car on the ground set the parking break and leave the car in neutral, then grab the top of the wheel and start rocking the wheel to the front and back of the wheel well. if you see the wheel move in the wheel well front to back and/or hear that clunk that bushing is mostlikely your problem. Another way to check is to get the car up on a lift or jack the wheel up (if u jack the wheel up make sure you support the car properly) and have someone try and shake the wheel front to back and look at that bushing you should be able to see it move side to side, and also look for cracks in the rubber.
best of luck
*one more thing (i would refrain from letting those techs at honda look at your car again) this is a very common suspension problem across all vehicle manufacters.
Who carries control arm bushings for the Fit/Jazz. I have a 05 boosted Fit and need them urgently.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:51 AM
Lek
This side to side wobble seems very much like a tire problem on a nearly new car.

My friend had a new set of tires put on his car and they felt fine, after he washed the car he used tire dressing to shine the new tires. The next morning he felt the wobble driving to work.

He complained about the wobble to the garage that fitted the tires and they were replaced and the wobble was gone.