2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New RF control arm already? 50K miles? 2010

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
New RF control arm already? 50K miles? 2010

My dealer informed me that I needed new bushings in my right front control arm, and they are only available in the control arm assembly. Anyone else need them already? I had them replaced under my 120k mi $0 deductible warrantee.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
That sounds a little early, but not too far fetched. My Pt Cruiser required new bushings at 70,000.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:56 PM
What types of roads do you drive on? If you drive on a lot of really flat highways, I'd say thats premature, but if you drive on city streets that are usually rough, its normal.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
mostly freeways and nicely paved roads in town.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Did you observe the play in the bushing? Was there anything noticably different in handling? Did the front end vibrate under braking? Those are typical symptoms...Did he replace both sides? You really should replace suspension parts in pairs.

If not...here is my hypothesis:
Dealer with a few empty service bays, has a customer with a warranty, knows that even though he will get paid less for warranty work, it's better than sitting idle,

Voila! Bad control arms!

Of course, I could be wrong, but I have only met one SA that I have ever trusted to be looking out for my best interests.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by smaglik
Did you observe the play in the bushing? Was there anything noticably different in handling? Did the front end vibrate under braking? Those are typical symptoms...Did he replace both sides? You really should replace suspension parts in pairs.

If not...here is my hypothesis:
Dealer with a few empty service bays, has a customer with a warranty, knows that even though he will get paid less for warranty work, it's better than sitting idle,

Voila! Bad control arms!

Of course, I could be wrong, but I have only met one SA that I have ever trusted to be looking out for my best interests.
worn out control arm bushings don't have to give off any kind of symptoms you just listed. you can have worn out control arm bushing and not noticed it on any of your daily driving.

control arm bushing don't necessary have to have any kind of play at all to be considered bad. i bet yours don't even actually have any play at all, more then likely the rubber bushing is seperated, or starting to seperate from the control arm.

About your hypothesis. Hypothesis are base off of little known facts. you know nothing about the about the machanic, so its quite rude and retarded of you to slander his ethics and morals.

Last edited by gimme; 03-02-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Cocowheat
worn out control arm bushings don't have to give off any kind of symptoms you just listed. you can have worn out control arm bushing and not noticed it on any of your daily driving.

control arm bushing don't necessary have to have any kind of play at all to be considered bad. i bet yours don't even actually have any play at all, more then likely the rubber bushing is seperated, or starting to seperate from the control arm.

About your hypothesis. Hypothesis are base off of little known facts. you know nothing about the about the machanic, so its quite rude and retarded of you to slander his ethics and morals.
Where to start....

Regarding the control arm bushings, I have had them go on two separate BMWs I have owned, and those are the symptoms they have exhibited. In fact, those are the symptoms that are tell tale signs for worn front end suspension components, FCABs included. Now, maybe the fit is very different, I am far from an expert on any vehicle, but that's been my experience.

My 'hypothesis' was based purely upon my conjecture and experience, YMMV. I thought that was pretty obvious from my post, but apparently it was not.

Do you really think that mechanics are put on this earth for the sole purpose of helping you? They are here to support themselves, and sometimes will do things to further their agenda moreso than yours.

Last edited by gimme; 03-02-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by smaglik

Do you really think that mechanics are put on this earth for the sole purpose of helping you?

/rant
nobody on the face of this EARTH! is here for the sole purpose of helping you. do you think your doctor, lawyer, accountant, and anybody else with a business really gives a flying shit about you? yet i bet you never subject them to same contradicting BS do you?

But thats not really the point is it? If you've already came to the conclusion that someone is always out to rob you, your state of mine is already in that frame of referance, so you bet your attitude is going to follow despite any facts thrown at you.

i have a feeling your those people who generalize everything in life.

bad experience with machanic=all machanic bad.

people who cuss=people bad.

/rant

oh ps. it is 2012 like you stated, yet somehow you act like everything is THAT much different from 1930.

Last edited by gimme; 03-02-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Mods, if you're going to delete only the racially charged portions of cocowheats comments and my corresponding response, you might as well delete all of those posts, as they really serve no purpose to the discussion.