General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What is a good out-the-door price on a Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Exclamation What is a good out-the-door price on a Fit?

Hi, new here; discovered the forum a few days ago during my car research. I'm definitely getting a Sport A/T after test-driving a base model yesterday (put a refundable deposit to hold one as they are going like hotcakes here in Maryland).

I'd like to know what is a decent drive-away price (price of the car + taxes/tags/fees/etc). I've been doing the internet pricing game with a couple dealers in the area (though not with the dealer I tested/put deposit with); they're both pretty much quoting me at $15,970+T/T/F/etc, which brings it to about $17,660.

I offered $16,550 tops plus my trade-in, but they are firm on their price. Am I aiming too low for OTD price? I have read that Fit dealers aren't budging on the MSRP at all...

Old 05-24-2006, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
That sounds about right, my price was almost identical. There really is no room to play with pricewise on these cars.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Master FitFreaker
yea about the rite price

Old 05-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Yes, MSRP is considered a good price already. The difference between the invoice price and the MSRP is about 600 - 800, so the dealers don't have much room to discount the price.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:57 PM
msrp is what the Fits been goin for in most areas. Looks good.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess since the difference between MSRP and invoice is negligible (and due to supply/demand), they can reasonably charge MSRP. One more quick question to anyone familiar with the Mazda 3 -- does its Sport A/T option have the tiptronic/semimanual mode? (That's my comparison car, though I'm pretty much locked on the Fit.)

Last edited by Disappear; 05-24-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Mazda3 5 doors hatch is a much better car in over all. Of course, it’s in a different price bracket. There are may options available in Mazda3 that if you want it in the Honda’s, you must get in to the Accord level in order to get it.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Disappear
Thanks for the replies. I guess since the difference between MSRP and invoice is negligible (and due to supply/demand), they can reasonably charge MSRP. One more quick question to anyone familiar with the Mazda 3 -- does its Sport A/T option have the tiptronic/semimanual mode? (That's my comparison car, though I'm pretty much locked on the Fit.)
Yes it does have the sport auto trans.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
MSRP and a complimentry oil change. Oh yeah, full tank of gas.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Yes, the Mazda 3 offers a "sequential manual shift" gear box (but no paddle or steering wheel controls).

If you're deciding between a Fit or 3, I would take the 3. The Fit is an econobox, and therefore, is in a completely different class....you may come off disappointed comparing it to the 3. Price wise (and amenity wise), you're better off comparing the 3 to a Civic, Corolla/Matrix or Sentra . If you look at the numbers, the Fit is a distant second to the 3. But if you're looking for a less expensive communter that doesn't sacrifice on space, look no further.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Some people here have cross shopped the Civic (particularily the LX) with the Fit Sport. There's no reason why you can't cross shop the two. In fact, I looked at the Mazda 3 sport too since the 3 Sport can be picked up at the exact same price as the Fit sport here if you just haggle a bit and the 3 has a grad rebate plus lower interest rates.

In the end, still picked the Fit Sport.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Disappear
Hi, new here; discovered the forum a few days ago during my car research. I'm definitely getting a Sport A/T after test-driving a base model yesterday (put a refundable deposit to hold one as they are going like hotcakes here in Maryland).

I'd like to know what is a decent drive-away price (price of the car + taxes/tags/fees/etc). I've been doing the internet pricing game with a couple dealers in the area (though not with the dealer I tested/put deposit with); they're both pretty much quoting me at $15,970+T/T/F/etc, which brings it to about $17,660.

I offered $16,550 tops plus my trade-in, but they are firm on their price. Am I aiming too low for OTD price? I have read that Fit dealers aren't budging on the MSRP at all...
you said it yourself:

"(put a refundable deposit to hold one as they are going like hotcakes here in Maryland)"

why would they budge on the price? If you don't want it, someone else will. It's that simple. As a matter of fact, the first dealer I visited tried to slap pn a buch of accessories I didn't want. So I went to another dealer (further away) who didn't try to pull any scams like that. I got mine for $17,096 after tax/tax/dmv and a 6% rate through honda. I got the MT though. you'll be looking at about $17,900 after all is said and done.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by phunklife
you said it yourself:

"(put a refundable deposit to hold one as they are going like hotcakes here in Maryland)"

why would they budge on the price? If you don't want it, someone else will. It's that simple.
You have a point there. I personally think they should budge on the price, but beggars can't be choosers. Not that I'm a beggar; I can walk away now and wait for the price to drop.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Bukwheat
Yes, the Mazda 3 offers a "sequential manual shift" gear box (but no paddle or steering wheel controls).

If you're deciding between a Fit or 3, I would take the 3. The Fit is an econobox, and therefore, is in a completely different class....you may come off disappointed comparing it to the 3. Price wise (and amenity wise), you're better off comparing the 3 to a Civic, Corolla/Matrix or Sentra . If you look at the numbers, the Fit is a distant second to the 3. But if you're looking for a less expensive communter that doesn't sacrifice on space, look no further.
Ok, I must have had a different perception of the 3 then; I had thought it was in the same class as the Fit. Well it is, pricewise (actually, the base "i" style Mazda 3 is cheaper even adding on the Sport A/T (not sure if the "i" model has the manumatic shifting), based on my Edmunds research). So I'm not sure how the Fit is less expensive. And if the 3 is comparable to the Civic in terms of performance, why wouldn't I just go for the 3? (I tested the Civic but hated its visibility issues; tested a 3 and found it fun to drive -- very zoom zoom).

I'm trying to pinch my pennies and get a better bang for my buck. I have to rethink my options here and not rush into getting a Fit. I'd always ignored the 3 during my car search because my sister has one and I don't want to copy her.

On the other hand, I'm a commuter and not a performance "driver," and even more, the Fit gave me a great bang (that came out wrong) for only being 109 hp.

Edit: actually, I've been looking on the Edmunds forums, and people have indeed been paying more, it seems, for the Mazda 3 (usually the "s" version, plus I'm assuming they load the i's with options and stuff)...another edit: in the "i" version at least, the aircon is optional. Weird. I guess when all is said and done, you are getting 2 more speakers + mp3 player + iPod jack + semi-manual tranny + safety features + etc., standard on the Fit. I will be viewing the 3's tomorrow and seeing if they pre-load them.

Now it's just a question of "Go" vs. "Zoom-Zoom"!

Last edited by Disappear; 05-24-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:44 PM
i can tell you that anything below $17500 out the door will be reasonable for a automatic sport. i went to a few dealerships in california, you really don't know how much they are asking for. guess.... $20000 out the door for the automatic and the prices are pretty firm! that's insane!!!
i only found one who is going to sell it for msrp, but he doesn't have one in stock, see..... what's the problem? it is in HIGH demand now. if you don't need it, just wait. if you need it, msrp is a reasonable price considering some jacka$$ are asking too much here in california... god, i hate this place....

Old 05-24-2006, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
My dad (ex-car dealer) got an offer for a Sport MT (any color) for MSRP. Only thing is that the APR is too fackin high...

Old 05-25-2006, 08:47 AM
If the extra cash is doable, it's very hard to argue against a 3 hatch. As for holding value, I don't think any Civic has done better than the old Protege5 and the P5 was a better car for the money than a similarly priced Civic at the time.

If I was on the fence I would certainly drive both before choosing. I don't think we'll be seeing Fits for less than MSRP for a looong time. Too little supply and too much demand and not much dealer profit to begin with.

End of model year (2006) Protege in September might just be the way to go.

Funny how the free market works. With gas prices up there, you can get a Nissan Frontier 4x4 KC pick-up with a 265hp V6 and manual tranny for less than $17k. That's a lot of vehicle for the money. Another nice deal is the Subie Outback Sport for $19.5k or so.

Last edited by ex_MGB; 05-25-2006 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:01 PM
m3 vs. Fit

I've been researching hatchback cars and the Fit is my choice. I really liked the m3 until I showed up to test drive it. Anyone over the age of 5 could not fit comfortably in the back of an m3, if you ask me. It was darn fun to drive and a good-looking car, but it might as well be a 2-door car for the size.

I eliminated the m3 and thought I was sold on a Matrix until I test-drove the Fit. A peppy car with more safety features and a similar amount of space for adults in the back seat. The Fit may have a little less storage space, but we have a bigger car for larger hauling needs. I'm sold on the Fit. Only worry that I have is that they'll be slam out of them by the time I get my house refinanced and I'm ready to put out a deposit!

Old 05-26-2006, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs down what do you think of this price?

Las Vegas pricing
Price: $16420
Fees: $626.25
($399 Doc Fee; $199 VTR Fee; $28.25 Title Fee)
Tax: $1321
Total: $18367.25
(No other fees or charges will be added or incurred).

Old 05-26-2006, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Jimmy101
Las Vegas pricing
Price: $16420
Fees: $626.25
($399 Doc Fee; $199 VTR Fee; $28.25 Title Fee)
Tax: $1321
Total: $18367.25
(No other fees or charges will be added or incurred).
I don't profess to know anything about fees in NV. Here in OK there is usually a $75 "dealer-imposed documentation" fee for doing the paperwork. We have a t/t/l rate that is approximately 4% of the MSRP. If you are a member of a Federally recognized Indian tribe that issues tags (most here do) that 4% rate becomes roughly 2% with the tribe getting the money instead of the state. So taking the 4% rate on $16520 (MSRP) you get $661 + $75 and your driveaway price becomes $17,256.

Zippo
"If you always tell the truth you never have to remember anything".

Quick Reply: What is a good out-the-door price on a Fit?