General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

You Kids Get Offa My Lawn!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 12:22 PM
I don't understand why people question others that are spending THEIR money on THEIR car. Its like Chris said, you can make this comparison to almost anything in life. This seems to be the popular stance with many of the GE owners on the forums.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
When I am finished with the engine modifications I will be able to concentrate on the superficial stuff, I still have $1500 to spend first not counting dyno time which may or may not be necessary....Maybe a 2 tone paint but not much more than that.... There are a lot of great looking cars on fitfreak.com and many of them are inspirational.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
I don't understand why people question others that are spending THEIR money on THEIR car. Its like Chris said, you can make this comparison to almost anything in life. This seems to be the popular stance with many of the GE owners on the forums.
Why not question it? If someone has never modded a car, or doesn't understand WHY, it is pretty valid to question it.

You can honestly say you have never seen some riced out hooptie on the street, and thought to yourself WHY?!?

Maybe he is just trying to understand the point of view better, so he can wrap his head around it.

I know for many people it snowballs. You get xx car, with no intention of really modding it, then you do 1 mod, then another, well now might as well buy wheels, and it kind of just keeps going, until you are fully submerged in it..lol

Old 05-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Well there really is no clear cut answer to the question in my opinion. And as far as seeing hoopties on the street, I don't question them. Its non of my business, I just dismiss it as a car I wouldn't want and move on.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Its like any thing in life in general every one wants to personalize Them to fit there needs. Like youre house some may say they like what you have done to the inside others may not. Every one should be different and mod in there own ways. But i do hate seeing cars so low to the ground that its no longer a good DD. And i also hate seeing people buy a $17k car just to put another $6k to make it have still less than 200WHP. When they could have spent around that much and got much more HP with a stock car and keep the warranty. Just my 02 cents in all of this.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Their Money, Their Cars

Read my posts carefully. I agree with you. I say all along if it's something YOU want to do go ahead, I always put it on me, it's my perspective.

I question because I don't really understand it. And it creates discussion that may lead to greater understanding for everyone. That's kind of what a forum is all about.

It's been an interesting thread.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
i also hate seeing people buy a $17k car just to put another $6k to make it have still less than 200WHP. When they could have spent around that much and got much more HP with a stock car and keep the warranty. Just my 02 cents in all of this.
Tell me where I can get a new car for $23500 that has 180 WHP, weighs 2500 Lbs, has the cargo room, handling, low insurance rates and decent fuel mileage of a Fit... My warranty was up 10 months ago and my car has never been to a dealership except for a test drive in a GE..... Do you really hate it that a 60 year old man has the same hobby that he did as a kid.... This could be the last car I ever own and I promise you I will get my money's worth out of it.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Read my posts carefully. I agree with you. I say all along if it's something YOU want to do go ahead, I always put it on me, it's my perspective.

I question because I don't really understand it. And it creates discussion that may lead to greater understanding for everyone. That's kind of what a forum is all about.

It's been an interesting thread.
I'm sorry I wasn't directing my rant at you personally. I understand your point of view. I should have clarified that in my post.

Its like any thing in life in general every one wants to personalize Them to fit there needs. Like youre house some may say they like what you have done to the inside others may not. Every one should be different and mod in there own ways. But i do hate seeing cars so low to the ground that its no longer a good DD. And i also hate seeing people buy a $17k car just to put another $6k to make it have still less than 200WHP. When they could have spent around that much and got much more HP with a stock car and keep the warranty. Just my 02 cents in all of this.
Some people don't care about horsepower. I have become one of them since buying my Fit. A few years ago if you would have told me a 109hp eco car was fun to drive, I would have laughed in your face. So I must be maturing or I'm a Fit loving idiot lol

Last edited by TurboManGT; 05-23-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Some people don't care about horsepower. I have become one of them since buying my Fit. A few years ago if you would have told me a 109hp eco car was fun to drive, I would have laughed in your face. So I must be maturing or I'm a Fit loving idiot lol
Same here. When I was younger I laugh at cars that are small with low horse power and always look up at cars with big engines(ex. camaro, mustang, convette, supra and etc). Now I like small cars and with the smallest engine if possible

Old 05-23-2010, 01:46 PM
^^
I gotta agree with TurbomanGT's second post. Back in the day I had a 99 Prelude and when that car wast wrecked in completely immature manner I moved on to a 99 Civic EX with about half the horsepower. I pissed and moaned about the power difference but strange happened to me. As I got older and matured more I realized I enjoyed the thrill of just driving much more than I did slamming on the gas and drag racing on public roads.

Frankly, I love that I can enjoy myself so much from a 109 horsepower car. That is only costing me $250 a month.

Don't get me wrong, crazy horsepower exotics still hold a place in my heart.

I too kinda say whatever to "gauty, riced out" cars. But everyone has their own opinions of what looks good.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
I'm sorry I wasn't directing my rant at you personally. I understand your point of view. I should have clarified that in my post.

I am right there with you on the Fit being fun to drive even bone stock.... Just changing out the heavy wheels and tires on the Sport model make a huge difference and is a great improvement, every thing after that is just icing on the cake....I found myself thinking I had made a mistake one time while trying to get into a lane to exit a freeway in San Antonio on a trip to Mexico but the car was new to me and not broken in.... It is no longer at all like that.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Never said that i cared about HP. If u drive a FIT of course you don't care. What i was saying is i hate people that have the FIT that throw tons of money into it to try and make it have 200whp.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Tell me where I can get a new car for $23500 that has 180 WHP, weighs 2500 Lbs, has the cargo room, handling, low insurance rates and decent fuel mileage of a Fit... My warranty was up 10 months ago and my car has never been to a dealership except for a test drive in a GE..... Do you really hate it that a 60 year old man has the same hobby that he did as a kid.... This could be the last car I ever own and I promise you I will get my money's worth out of it.
Hmm sence when has the FIT weighed 2500 pounds?? Lets see $23500 hmm i could get a Evo,STI,CIVIC SI,SPEED3,GTI,WRX. Now i now that they don't have the same amount of space but they are a hell of alot faster. Now im all about the FIT and am more than likely going to buy another one as a DD. But i can tell you its a waste of money in my mind to put a ton of money into the FIT just to get it to less than 200WHP. The FIT was never meant to be fast it was meant for space,mpg,fun factor eco car and thats it. I mean my S2000CR gets 25-28mpg and is way faster and more fun than a FIT but the FIT does have alot more space and thats why i want one. Oh and i have not had any problems with my car ethier and i know S2000 owners that have 200k miles on them that have just done normal maintance. I am trying to keep my CR for the fun factor and speed and get a used DD like the FIT for what it was meant. But to each to there own if you want to make a eco car faster buy spending money into the engine thats up to you but i thought people bought cars like this to save money not spend it. Not trying to sound like a A$$ here i love the fit use to own one. Fun car for sure i just never understood why put $6k or more into the engine of a fit when its still slow.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Not Feeling the Love

My other car is a 1996 Cadillac Sedan Deville. I was going to sell it after getting my 2010 SilverStormSport but for a lot of the reasons being kicked around plus a few more I'm thinking I'm going to keep it.

Occasional Full Throttle Acceleration is good for your engine. This is one of them. Nothing beats the 285HP of the NorthStar engine, well except they feel of a wide body luxury land cruiser. If you've never given a NorthStar a WOT you really don't know what you're missing. Click that link.

I care a whole lot about HP always have always will. Every now and again I get to enjoy the feel of it - WoooWoo.

What I have decided to drive is an outstanding vehicle that makes sense in today's economy to me. I think many here are doing the same thing. I'm seeing 38MPG in my local driving world.

What surprises me is that out on the highway I'm not seeing as good a number. HONDA has made a mistake in gearing the 2010MT plain and simple - OR - they are heavily leaning towards the AutoTranny. Demographics of sales???

The MT sales must lag big time behind the AT. I'm not feeling the 'motor head love' from Honda and that's just not right.
K_C_

Old 05-23-2010, 08:18 PM
^^I LOL at the fact that Cadillac owners need to be reminded that full throttle is beneficial to their engines. Something about catering to a demographic of "a certain age" right? Why not just say "FLOOR IT GRANDDAD, FLOOR IT!!!!" and be done with it? Im JFWY BTW. Cars and modding them is as individual as the people who take part in it, there are seldom two who are exactly identical in their motivation, tastes, style, and execution. This is why going to car shows and meets is so much fun, you WILL see something you like, as well as something you won't. But unless you really don't care about the car you drive, you will not be bored. I don't hate anyone for what they choose to do to their car. I have more of a problem with people who simply "don't get" the love affair I have with cars, period. I could be riding in a Chevette and it would take me three days to figure out ways I would change it to suit me.....

Old 05-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Hey punkin it's a whole lot more than flooring it and catering to a certain age. Better stick to your bells and whistles. I'm down with the balance of your post K_C

Old 05-23-2010, 08:59 PM
No problem, I was only pokin fun...

Old 05-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Ha - should have figured. Just caught your byline
So what about the top end gearing on the MT. It's killing my hiway MPG's.
K_C_

Old 05-23-2010, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting topic. Me being at 30, I also realize that it's an age thing. When I was 18 to about 21, I was also "improving" my cars. I was a poor kid, so my mods included let's say stripes across the hood, roof and the trunk made with black electric tape.

Or full mirror-chrome hubcaps from Wal Mart. I think what drove me is the desire to personalize and believe it or not, to subjectively improve my car.

I knew that I would not be selling it so the resale value played no role, and all the mods were cheap and cosmetic.

I think another major reason people mod their cars is to add individuality. If you are at a car show, and your car has JDM parts, (like the guy who ordered the whole jdm front end), you are certain to get attention and looked at differently. And that's the goal in itself.

Also, indeed, if you want to make your stock car any faster or any more stable, you can't do it in any other way than to modify it. And that may include having lighter and lower profile wheel and tires, lowering the car to gain stability through lower center of gravity, improving braking by adding disc brakes on the rear, etc.

So, my bottom line is that it's all about "different stroke for different folks". If you are don't want to stand out and be different, if you don't want to race the car and improve its performance, and if you are not concerned with resale, then you might be more likely to join the happy army of mod-folks, street racers, stylists, jdm-ists, etc.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
Hmm sence when has the FIT weighed 2500 pounds?? Lets see $23500 hmm i could get a Evo,STI,CIVIC SI,SPEED3,GTI,WRX. Now i now that they don't have the same amount of space but they are a hell of alot faster. Now im all about the FIT and am more than likely going to buy another one as a DD. But i can tell you its a waste of money in my mind to put a ton of money into the FIT just to get it to less than 200WHP. The FIT was never meant to be fast it was meant for space,mpg,fun factor eco car and thats it. I mean my S2000CR gets 25-28mpg and is way faster and more fun than a FIT but the FIT does have alot more space and thats why i want one. Oh and i have not had any problems with my car ethier and i know S2000 owners that have 200k miles on them that have just done normal maintance. I am trying to keep my CR for the fun factor and speed and get a used DD like the FIT for what it was meant. But to each to there own if you want to make a eco car faster buy spending money into the engine thats up to you but i thought people bought cars like this to save money not spend it. Not trying to sound like a A$$ here i love the fit use to own one. Fun car for sure i just never understood why put $6k or more into the engine of a fit when its still slow.
When you express an emotion that requires a remedial action toward me, and then try to get me to believe you aren't as ass after not coming up with anything too show me that answered my question and tell me my car is still slow after all of the time and money I have put into it and then go on about the attributes of your S2000CR....If the shoe Fits, wear it.

Quick Reply: You Kids Get Offa My Lawn!!!