General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Valet Key...yeah, "can't be done" isn't an acceptable answer

Old 06-13-2010, 06:45 AM
5 Year Member
Valet Key...yeah, "can't be done" isn't an acceptable answer

With only two keys, and with the spare, on my girlfriend's key ring, out of town, I have just discovered that I do in fact, need a valet key. After waking up early for a dive trip, and loading the car, I dropped my keys while shutting the door and it just didn't click in my brain that I needed to stop shutting the door until it was too late, and my keys were locked inside the car. Ruined my plans for the day as I wait for the girlfriend to arrive from out of town.

I've heard that some Honda dealers won't cut a valet key, and I've heard some will. Do independent shops like Walmart carry a key blank that will fit a Fit? What is the trick to getting a shop to cut a key that will open my car door, so I don't do this again? The one shop I did ask said that they couldn't make a valet key for the Fit, and after this, I just can't take that answer. I need a valet key.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Get aaa and u won't have to worrie about it I know Honda will make u another key but it's costly that's what I head tho I got three keys with my car so I'm all taken care of

Old 06-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
Do you need a "Valet" key or just a door key?

idk if the Fit actually has a valet system in it, but the Honda dealerships can cut you a key that doesn't have the chip in it, so you'll be able to open the door, but not start the car.

On any of my other cars, the valet key lets the motor run for up to 15 minutes and then shuts itself off. As I said, I'm unsure that the Fit even has that system on-board.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Honda Valet keys have usually been keys that will open the doors and fire up the engine, but won't open the glove box or trunk. Since neither one of those is a concern with the Fit (trunk doesn't lock separately from the passenger compartment, and the glove box doesn't lock).

As far as an unchipped key to unlock the door... does anyone know whether that would still disengage the alarm system? You can disengage it by unlocking with the remote, or sticking a key in the door... does it have to be a coded key?

Old 06-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by crash001
Get aaa and u won't have to worrie about it I know Honda will make u another key but it's costly that's what I head tho I got three keys with my car so I'm all taken care of
^^^AAA^^^
It's a FIT.

Go for the third key, but if you're away from anywhere AAA is your best bet and it's cheaper than a key, well two years cheaper...

For me locking the keys inside was one of those reoccurring life phases. I was glad to see the FIT will not lock the drivers door with the key in the ignition. I carry AAA and my daughter uses the lock-out service more than I do now.

K_C_

Old 06-13-2010, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe the dealership was confused because of their valet system. I just want a key that will unlock doors. It would also be nice so I could go diving with it, currently I have to hide the keys around the outside of the car every weekend when I go diving. I didn't realize Honda had a sophisticated valet system that would let the car run for a few minutes, or else I would have explained to them I just wanted to unlock doors...

Do I have to go to a dealership or would a place like Walmart be able to cut an unchipped Honda key?

Old 06-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by JahJahwarrior
Maybe the dealership was confused because of their valet system. I just want a key that will unlock doors. It would also be nice so I could go diving with it, currently I have to hide the keys around the outside of the car every weekend when I go diving. I didn't realize Honda had a sophisticated valet system that would let the car run for a few minutes, or else I would have explained to them I just wanted to unlock doors...

Do I have to go to a dealership or would a place like Walmart be able to cut an unchipped Honda key?
I'm pretty sure Honda valet keys aren't that fancy. I occasionally used my Element's valet key as a spare, and other than the glove-box, it worked just like any other key.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:42 PM
The vehicle is equipped with a Type VII immobilizer system that will disable the vehicle unless a programmed ignition
key is used.

This system consists of a transponder combined with a keyless transmitter, an immobilizer-keyless control unit, the
MICU (has built-in imoes unit), an immobilizer indicator, and the ECM/PCM.

When the immobilizer key (programmed by the HDS) is inserted into the ignition switch and turned to ON (II), the
immobilizer-keyless control unit sends a signal to the transponder. The transponder then sends a coded signal back to
the immobilizer-keyless control unit which then sends a coded signal to the ECM/PCM and the MICU (imoes unit).

The ECM/PCM and MICU (imoes unit) identify this coded signal, then voltage is supplied to the fuel pump.
If the wrong key has been used or the code was not received or recognized by the unit, the immobilizer indicator will flash
once, then it will blink until the ignition switch is turned to LOCK (0). When the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK (0)
position, the indicator will blink ten times to signal that unit has reset correctly,
then the indicator will go off.

Immobilizer key
(Without keyless transmitter)

Immobilizer key
(With keyless transmitter)

Under-dash fuse/relay box,
with driver's MICU
(Imoes unit)

Transmitter (Including transponder)

Steering lock assembly Immobilizer-keyless
control unit
(Built-in receiver)

ECM/PCM

JahJahwarrior

Not sure of the year FIT you have, but this is directly out of the 2010 FSM.

If you could get a key without the program chip it might do what you want - but my question to you is that what you really want to do??

K_C_

Old 06-13-2010, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Are you suggesting there is a downside to having a key that will unlock the doors but not turn on the car?

Old 06-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Not at all JahJah, but I do think you would be selling yourself short. If you have another fully functional key you would be covered for more of life's possible dealt hands. Murphy has a Law concerning these types of decisions and I've been stung enough to try my best to CMA.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:37 PM
wal-mart wont cut it because they dont have the type of key. i use to work at wa-mart sooo i know thats a fact, unless wal-marts are different in other states?

as for the spare key, when i got my car they tried only giving me the main key and i said i wanted a spare and they said they didnt have one. i told them i dont want the car unless i get a spare key made and they quickly changed there mind and had me a spare key cut the next day.

sooo for you that already have got ya car and walked away with out getting a key made, they will do it for like $80. but its just a normal key that you have to manually lock and unlock the doors with. now if you have the alarm set and you unlock it idk how you would turn the alarm off? but i guess you would only need the spare to get your main set of keys out of the car that you just locked them in.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:14 PM
You can simply go to a reputable locksmith and get them to copy your key onto a Ilco H001-SVC keyblank. I've been working at one for 7 years and got mine as soon as I got my car. It's just a plain key, no plastic head, nice flat profile that would allow you to stash it just about anywhere. I've never bothered to try to start the car with it (to test the anti-theft system), but it unlocks my door. I always carry it in my left pocket and my real key in my right, like I have done for all my cars. I've never been locked out of a car.

I'm more anal than most people about that because the guys in my company will f*** with me for days if they have to unlock my car for me. They would do it for free, though - so I guess it's worth the trade-off!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, Walmart guy said "we don't have that blank, that's laser cut, sorry."

Are the keys really cut with a laser? That's high tech! Thanks for the blank number, that should help me get it figured out.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:46 AM
The originals are cut by laser, but good locksmith shops (not Walmart) have a high-tech machine that will cut the replica with a special router-type drill bit. I've cut keys using it myself, ours is a Silca (made in Italy) and cost about $4000.

Last edited by !bungle; 06-14-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:29 AM
A dealer or a real locksmith (not a key copier at home depot or wal-mart) should be able to cut a "dumb" key for you. I believe you can also buy blanks from various sources.

That said...there's a low tech fix here...always use the key to lock the door. I can still see the value of having an extra key (I always give the spare to the a valet so I don't have to take it off my keyring or give him all of my keys, for example), but if you always use the button (or keyhole if you have a base) it's basically impossible to lock the keys in the car unintentionally.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:41 AM
OP left his key on the seat I believe... not much to guard against that - I know.

EDIT: for some reason he doesn't want an extra spare key??

Old 06-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
OP left his key on the seat I believe... not much to guard against that - I know.

EDIT: for some reason he doesn't want an extra spare key??
If you get in the habit of using the key (or the remote which is typically attached to the key if not integral to the key) instead of the button on the door, you cannot possibly lock the key in the car.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JahJahwarrior
With only two keys, and with the spare, on my girlfriend's key ring, out of town, I have just discovered that I do in fact, need a valet key. After waking up early for a dive trip, and loading the car, I dropped my keys while shutting the door and it just didn't click in my brain that I needed to stop shutting the door until it was too late, and my keys were locked inside the car. Ruined my plans for the day as I wait for the girlfriend to arrive from out of town.

I've heard that some Honda dealers won't cut a valet key, and I've heard some will. Do independent shops like Walmart carry a key blank that will fit a Fit? What is the trick to getting a shop to cut a key that will open my car door, so I don't do this again? The one shop I did ask said that they couldn't make a valet key for the Fit, and after this, I just can't take that answer. I need a valet key.
I would stop locking the car door from the inside in the future. The Fit's key fob won't lock the car until all the doors are shut so you could never find yourself in this situation without messing with the lock by hand.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
Usually, I make sure to have my keys in the same hand that is pushing the lock button, or to lock using the key. This time, I was preoccupied by loading dive gear, and half asleep after only a few hours sleep, and waking up at 5am to drive to a dive. It didn't even connect in my mind what I'd done until a few seconds later...totally dumb mistake.

I wouldn't mind more working keys, but don't want to pay $50-$100 for a key, plus a dumb key would be able to go diving with me, whereas I am worried about taking the rfid chipped key underwater.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Some hardware stores, like OSH here in California now have transponder key blanks and a machine to cut them. The dealer is still needed to program the chip if you want a fully functional key. I have been quoted $50-100 for that. It cant take a full hour labor, can it? Or, does the dealer just have a minimum charge to do anything beyond an oil change?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valet Key...yeah, "can't be done" isn't an acceptable answer