General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Valet Key...yeah, "can't be done" isn't an acceptable answer

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Cutting and programming automotive keys can't be done by just anyone. The locksmith/electronic security company I work for is much cheaper than a dealer, but it's still not an inexpensive thing to have done.

Another reason is that there are a lot more oil-change places than locksmiths (with the specialized equipment) and Honda dealers put together. Oil-changes are only cheap because there's a lot of competition out there! If you think about it, an oil change in this day and age is a huge bargain. Think of the rent for the location, the wages for the employees, the equipment used in the task... Sure, they do a ton of 'em in the long run, but the building and those lifts/underground service bays have got to cost mucho dinero to build. And the EPA fees/licensing!?!?

Old 06-16-2010, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
I get your point, but do you charge $100 an hour for labor done in your shop? Most new car dealers in big cities do. I know there is a lot of overhead, but I get the impression that the sales floor and lot doesnt pay that burden due to intense price competition. Its all on the service customers to cover it.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm a bit confused as to what you mean. Maybe I should have left oil-change prices out of the discussion...

If we are comparing locksmiths to car dealers, well, read on:

Our locksmith shop doesn't charge anywhere near $100 an hour for mechanical locksmithing work, but programming a automotive key has a fixed price, something like $60 (I now only work on the electronic security side so I am going by memory here) and the key itself we sell for about $35. It varies somewhat as to how the key is programmed - some vehicles are programmed on a machine, some in the vehicle itself. I know if you have 2 Ford keys, you can program a 3rd quite easily onboard. We charge much less for that ($30, I think) than if you're down to one key and need to add another, because we have to use a special programmer for that. They are pretty pricey. Some older Honda keys use a unique device that simply reads the code from the existing key and copies it onto the new key.

I rarely have free time at work, but if I get a chance I'll try to get our current pricing for the following:

1. Ilco H001-SVC keyblank (no chip)
2. An actual chipped replacement key
3. Programming for the key
4. Cutting the key

Then you can compare that to your local dealer pricing.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Hey JahJah - did you get your spare key yet - please hurry and stop this madness!!! It's only a key.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Wink

And the key starts the Fit, and driving the Fit is the most important part. Madness, indeed...

Old 06-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Current prices at the locksmith shop here in Austin, TX:

2009/2010 Honda Fit

$45 for cut valet key (all metal)
$135 for cut & programmed key w/NO buttons
$175 for cut & programmed key w/buttons

Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
I don't see an issue with having a "door only" key (I'll just say DOK for short).

IMO, it's a lot safer to leave a DOK outside your house than a fully functional, chipped and coded key. If thieves were to discover your key hiding spot, they could just easily hop in your car and take it. No effort at all.

Plus, if you've locked your keys in the car, you can just open the door with the DOK, grab your real keys and then hide your DOK again.

I keep a DOK inside my rear bumper because I have a bad habit of leaving my keys in the driver's seat when I want to get something out of the back. It's bad because I also have a habit of locking the doors as I'm getting out of the car.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by !bungle
Current prices at the locksmith shop here in Austin, TX:

2009/2010 Honda Fit

$45 for cut valet key (all metal)
$135 for cut & programmed key w/NO buttons
$175 for cut & programmed key w/buttons
Similar to dealer prices in Los Angeles area.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Well, it has been a while since I worked the locksmith side... We used to beat basically every dealer price by a noticeable amount on car keys, but things may have evened out recently. Anyway, that's why I posted our current prices - so they could be compared! Thanks for letting me know, BTW.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by JahJahwarrior
With only two keys, and with the spare, on my girlfriend's key ring, out of town, I have just discovered that I do in fact, need a valet key. After waking up early for a dive trip, and loading the car, I dropped my keys while shutting the door and it just didn't click in my brain that I needed to stop shutting the door until it was too late, and my keys were locked inside the car. Ruined my plans for the day as I wait for the girlfriend to arrive from out of town.

I've heard that some Honda dealers won't cut a valet key, and I've heard some will. Do independent shops like Walmart carry a key blank that will fit a Fit? What is the trick to getting a shop to cut a key that will open my car door, so I don't do this again? The one shop I did ask said that they couldn't make a valet key for the Fit, and after this, I just can't take that answer. I need a valet key.
your dealers a moron

i carry a key in my wallet that opens just the door (i learned the hard way too)!!

Old 07-04-2010, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by !bungle
Cutting and programming automotive keys can't be done by just anyone. The locksmith/electronic security company I work for is much cheaper than a dealer, but it's still not an inexpensive thing to have done.

Another reason is that there are a lot more oil-change places than locksmiths (with the specialized equipment) and Honda dealers put together. Oil-changes are only cheap because there's a lot of competition out there! If you think about it, an oil change in this day and age is a huge bargain. Think of the rent for the location, the wages for the employees, the equipment used in the task... Sure, they do a ton of 'em in the long run, but the building and those lifts/underground service bays have got to cost mucho dinero to build. And the EPA fees/licensing!?!?
judging by how many lube shops there are, it is obvious they are a hugely profitable enterprises

even though the actual profit margins may be small, they do make hefty profits (think walmart)